Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Underside scrape damage

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 02:27 PM
Beaker02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Underside scrape damage

Has anyone ever damaged thier car by scraping or bottoming out? How tough is the Z? Courious.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:58 PM
waldf

Default Re: Underside scrape damage

Originally posted by Beaker02
Has anyone ever damaged thier car by scraping or bottoming out? How tough is the Z? Courious.
I've had several "OhMyGod" moments on the freeway with truck tire treads, pieces of wood, and what looked like a piece of concrete. They all hit underneath with an almighty whack (~75mph). So far, nothing damaged or loose. I put the car up on a ramp - it's all pretty well tucked away in there. The Nissan aero kit that came with the car (those flat pieces of plastic underneath) is scratched and marked though. But nothing serious.

What did cause some damage was what looked like a piece of broomstick that the truck in front flipped up vertical, and I ran into it at 60mph. Nice little dent and cracked paint on the front bumper.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:53 AM
seanfenn

Mine is in the shop as we speak with about $1,000 worth of damage due to hitting a scrap piece of metal a few weeks ago on ret 95 north in CT. It caught on a black structural brace underneath, drove the metal up through the FLOOR , seriously damaged the brace and sliced the inside of the right rear tire.

Luckily no brake lines or gas lines were cut and I was able to drive it home and to the body shop...slowly.

The car still puts a smile on my face every time I get in it!!!

Sean 13,000 miles.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:22 PM
bkusnir

I have ran over:

1) A Converse shoe on the highway on a trip to Reno, NV @ 70mph (jumped the car, shoe was stuck in wheel well for a few seconds than shot out)

2) A 2x4 that fell off the top of a Van in Central Phoenix @ 50mph (damn thing was rolling like a SOB, suprised didn't smack front of my car)

3) A curb while driving into the Circle K parking lot @ 5mph (the most wretched sound ever, must have looked crazy, I was so embarassed and pissed)

4) Another curb (scraped rim) when backing out of parking spot.

5) Countless tire treads of various sizes

The 350Z doesn't drive over things very well, but I am happy that these incidents didn't cause any major damage.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:07 AM
Manboobz

I've damaged my Z on the speed bumps outside my residence. If I go over them too fast I scrape the underside. There are two woven steel couplings in the exhaust which have been cosmetically damaged. Some of the steel 'threads' have been pulled out of the neat woven alignment. Thankfully the damage is only on the surface, and doesn't affect the functionality.