Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Power Steering feels heavy after changing fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Clon3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering feels heavy after changing fluid

Hey Guys,

I tried doing a search but couldn't find my answers so was wondering if you guys can help out. I just changed my Power Steering fluid yesterday. The mechanic drained the fluid by disconnecting the bottom hose near the clutch fluid line. We then refilled the reservoir with proper fluid and did the full steering lock from left to right a couple of times with the front of my car lifted.

After I left the shop, I noticed my steering feels a bit heavier than before. I tried testing if the steering wheel would shudder or make noises when cranked all the way and it was perfectly fine. The only difference is that steering feels a bit heavier than before. Is this normal? I thought steering should feel lighter after fluid change?

Secondly, does the power steering system end up "bleeding" itself after a while, or is the only way to change this to re-bleed the system? I'm not suspecting air to be the major cause towards a heavier feel, but wondering if the excess air during the fluid change will eventually work it's way out by itself?

Note: The heavier feel is not significant enough to make it undrivable. You can still handle the car with one arm, but you can definitely notice a slight increase in the heaviness.

Thanks for you help!