Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clutch get stuck when my A/C is on.. Advise?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 08:45 PM
182_z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch get stuck when my A/C is on.. Advise?

So I have a 2008 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast model and my car have 50K miles on it. I live in Alaska, and I am noticing that my clutch pedal would get stuck half way when my A/C is on or when I am driving above normal speed. I did contact the dealership and asked them if there is a recall, they told me no. So, I consulted my local mechanics and was told that there maybe something wrong with my clutch cylinder (in the back of my head: i keep thinking maybe my clutch is done for, but, It's not grinding or slipping).

My current car is not my first 350Z. I've owned the 2007 model and when I was in California, the clutch give out on me when I was driving I10 and I had it towed to West Covina dealership and was told that my car was recalled due to clutch master cylinder issue.

I am currious if anyone is having the same issue with their 2008 or 2009 350Z. I live where there is NO Nissan dealership and this fix is going to be DIY or I have to bring it to the local mechanics (which, I am debating not to do it).

Advise or Help resolving my issue would be MUCH APPRECIATED!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:00 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Probably the slave, the extra heat causes it to bind
Old 11-19-2012, 01:04 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 182_z
So I have a 2008 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast model and my car have 50K miles on it. I live in Alaska, and I am noticing that my clutch pedal would get stuck half way when my A/C is on or when I am driving above normal speed. I did contact the dealership and asked them if there is a recall, they told me no. So, I consulted my local mechanics and was told that there maybe something wrong with my clutch cylinder (in the back of my head: i keep thinking maybe my clutch is done for, but, It's not grinding or slipping).

My current car is not my first 350Z. I've owned the 2007 model and when I was in California, the clutch give out on me when I was driving I10 and I had it towed to West Covina dealership and was told that my car was recalled due to clutch master cylinder issue.

I am currious if anyone is having the same issue with their 2008 or 2009 350Z. I live where there is NO Nissan dealership and this fix is going to be DIY or I have to bring it to the local mechanics (which, I am debating not to do it).

Advise or Help resolving my issue would be MUCH APPRECIATED!
It's was a prevalent problem on some 07s due to *defective* Concentric Slave Cylinders (not master cyl, so I think your CSC was replaced, not the Master). However...there have been MANY 08 and UP (370s and G37s) with the same problem. The stock CSC are prone to seal failure. If I were you, I'd
first try the MASTER cyl replacement, since it's relatively cheap to do. If you still have a problem, then replace the CSC with the HEAVY DUTY CSC sold here (do a search). That's around $700 with parts (HD Slave) and labor...unless you can have labor done for under $400 or so. If you're on the original clutch..replace it as well, since you have to drop the tranny anyway.

Last edited by ronn1; 11-19-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:37 PM
182_z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help! I will keep it mind to replace the master cyl. and CSC at the same time when I replace my clutch.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:25 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

You might also try bleeding your clutch. I installed a braided SS clutch line from the master to the slave and changed to DOT-4 fluid, and so far, so good. I haven't had the problems with the clutch dropping to the floor on my 08 that I used to have (I only have 21K miles on the car, so I know that it's not just a matter of normal wear and tear).
Old 11-20-2012, 01:47 PM
musubi

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to add that the transmission will need to be dropped in order to access the CSC, which is why labor is expensive. Sounds like the CSC, but hope that it's the master. GL with your situation.