Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Steering Wheel Noise/Creak

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:47 PM
Depravity

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Angry Steering Wheel Noise/Creak

I've been dealing with a very annoying problem after installing the cruise control & audio switches on my '07 Base Z (required removal of the wheel). Now, every time I turn my steering wheel left or right, it makes a very loud creaking sound. Initially it sounded like maybe the steering wheel was bolted back on too hard, so I loosened it. Problem is, now it's too loose and there's still a creak (but much quieter). I tried tightening it just a tad more, and now it feels fine but that creak is still there. It's driving me insane! Removing the steering wheel so many times is not fun at all, I've probably done this ~10 times to get the wheel straight and trying to fix this sound issue. It's not a rattle, it literally sounds like the wheel is too tight so it makes a creaking sound (like a brrrrrrrrrp? lol)

I spent a few hours researching my350z, and a few other sites and I can't find a solution. I was hoping maybe someone had some advise, or could provide a suggestion or two. A little background on my Z, it's practically brand new with only 23,000 miles on her. Fluids are at a normal level, and I know it can't be the clock spring/body combination switch (unless I somehow damaged it when I put the wheel back on?) Do you think maybe lubing or applying grease on the actual shaft would help? Or maybe where the wheel gets bolted back on?

I would really appreciate any sort of help on this, thanks

This isn't my video, but it sounds very similar :

Last edited by Depravity; 01-17-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:55 PM
Depravity

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Solved the problem.

All I did was try to tuck back most of that wiring and I found a new route for the cruise control half, and it worked! I was even able to replicate that noise by rubbing my finger on the wiring loom, so my best guess was it either sliding on the central switch hub or other wires in there. The only advise I have for anyone who runs into this problem in the future is to route the wires properly. It's freezing cold outside, and my steering wheel makes NO noise!