Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

car does not drive straight after wreck

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 04:58 PM
waikiki35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car does not drive straight after wreck

long story short , I smashed the z in a curb sideways at about 40 mph... suspensions and wheels were jacked up... So far I replaced lower control arm, rim( was bent), and hub assembly on the front and camber arm on the back... I can tell the back is still far from being straight , I can visually see the rear wheel is toed out, even though I got the toe bolt all the way turned for toe in...
I will check again tomorrow to try and figure what else is bent..

Anyways I took the car around the block and it oversteers like crazy not even going fast... probably from the bad rear toe?

Also in sharp turns, like getting in and out of parking spot, the steering wheel will all of a sudden turn faster and by itself ( if I let it go, instead of straightening out , it just keeps turning more)... any idea what could cause this problem? maybe a steering rack issue or could the bad alignment on the rear or even front cause this too?

Last edited by waikiki35; 01-29-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:14 PM
rglbegl

Junk it for cash, start new
Old 01-29-2013, 06:15 PM
stascom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you done an alignment? Sounds like you will need to take it to a collision shop so they can see if the unibody has issues.
40MPH collision would easily damage the shocks, tie rods, every single arm you can think of, tear bushings, etc.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:35 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,579 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Bent frame

/car
Old 01-29-2013, 07:30 PM
waikiki35

I do realize that any component of the suspension could be bent .. I'm jus trying to narrow it down so I don't have to replace everything .. I'm in college and do not have that kind of money... Anyone got a clue?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 PM
rglbegl

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
Bent frame

/car
Old 01-29-2013, 07:53 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You will probably have to replace other parts in the right rear if the toe is still that far out. Alignment won't help if you've already pushed the toe adjustment to max, might as well figure out what is bent first.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:08 PM
waikiki35

Originally Posted by Italianjoe1
You will probably have to replace other parts in the right rear if the toe is still that far out. Alignment won't help if you've already pushed the toe adjustment to max, might as well figure out what is bent first.
Thanks man I figured... What do you think can cause the steering wheel to not straighten back when. Let it go in a sharp turn ?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:28 PM
rglbegl

Buddy, you have thousands of dollars of repairs to do on that car.
After 30 years of body shop experience, I have seen this all too many times.

You need a professional to look at your entire car. If not, you will never drive straight, and you will burn through tires twice as fast as normal.

I was serious when I said 'sell the car'

Unless you are rich, it is not worth it.
I know, I know ; you are a college student and your car is what makes you cool. You are gonna have to get over that.

Last edited by rglbegl; 01-29-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:05 PM
RENFRO

Received 106 Likes on 73 Posts

Agree with that ^

Also, how in the world did you smash your Z into a curb sideways at 40? 10 times out of 10 it's been because the driver was showing off his "mad drift skillz brah."

I'd also junk it and look for something used to get me around. DEFINITELY not worth the headache of replacing all the parts when it'll never really be right again.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:12 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by waikiki35
Thanks man I figured... What do you think can cause the steering wheel to not straighten back when. Let it go in a sharp turn ?
All the stuff you have bent lol. I've seen an altima that had severe damage on one rear corner do the same thing, funny steering feel, etc. Once you fix the alignment all those issues will go away.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:34 PM
pro_350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RENFRO
Agree with that ^

Also, how in the world did you smash your Z into a curb sideways at 40? 10 times out of 10 it's been because the driver was showing off his "mad drift skillz brah."

I'd also junk it and look for something used to get me around. DEFINITELY not worth the headache of replacing all the parts when it'll never really be right again.
practice drifting in a safer environment next time
Old 01-30-2013, 08:34 AM
waikiki35

I was not drifting . I was going too fast on wet road and old black lady cut me off...
Old 01-30-2013, 09:45 AM
rglbegl

I was not drifting . I was going too fast on wet road and old black lady cut me off...
So you were not driving safely.
That makes you sound smart.

And what does race/ethnicity have to do with you driving like a fool?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:37 PM
waikiki35

Originally Posted by rglbegl
So you were not driving safely.
That makes you sound smart.

And what does race/ethnicity have to do with you driving like a fool?
I posted on the "maintenance and repair " section of the forum to seek help to repair my car, not a life lesson.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:02 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

I posted on the "maintenance and repair " section of the forum to seek help to repair my car, not a life lesson.
Post you ran a car into something sideways on a forum you get what you deserve.

You want to "get what you pay for" take it to a body shop.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:12 PM
ehaalandtluk

I had a similar wreck about 4 years ago. Although mine was caused by a drunk driver and a u-turn median, I was going much slower. I hit going less than 25. Thankfully only the passenger side wheels made contact with the curb.

Guess what though? I had full coverage insurance. Sorry, but you should not be driving a car like this without some sort of policy. Better call it quits and buy a civic or something.

If you're willing to put money into it, you're going to need to replace your WHOLE suspension on the side you got hit. (got hit both sides? cry more while you shell out your kids' college fund)

About 4 years later I'm narrowing down on the cause of a slight drift to the right on my car. It's caused by bushings that were not replaced at the time of the wreck as well as possible body damage near or on control arm mount points.

Seriously though, insurance or bust.

/car
Old 01-30-2013, 01:34 PM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have several options.

Since it was an old black lady's fault, call the police and have them track her down so you can get her insurance to cover it. This is a good option because all cops hate black people so you're guaranteed to win. Even if she didn't do anything wrong and you're just lying because your ********* are so small that they prohibit taking responsibility for your own actions, chances are a REAL cop will just plant crack on her.

Or you could pay your $500 deductible (maybe even lower because no one with half a brain would take a high deductible with a sports car that has fairly expensive parts unless they were stupid enough to buy a car they can't afford).

Finally, you could just drive your car the way it is until something goes catastrophically wrong and you pass through the Pearly Gates in a screeching ball of fire.

Whatever you decide to do, post pics.

Last edited by Flick Montana; 01-30-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:48 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Flick Montana

Since it was an old black lady's fault, call the police and have them track her down so you can get her insurance to cover it. This is a good option because all cops hate black people so you're guaranteed to win. Even if she didn't do anything wrong and you're just lying because your ********* are so small that they prohibit taking responsibility for your own actions, chances are a REAL cop will just plant crack on her.

Or you could pay your $500 deductible (maybe even lower because no one with half a brain would take a high deductible with a sports car that has fairly expensive parts unless they were stupid enough to buy a car they can't afford).

Finally, you could just drive your car the way it is until something goes catastrophically wrong and you pass through the Pearly Gates in a screeching ball of fire.

Classic.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:49 PM
rglbegl

Originally Posted by Flick Montana

This post wins the thread.

Quick Reply: car does not drive straight after wreck