Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Car issues after replacing spark plugs, valve covers and gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 05:51 AM
PCH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car issues after replacing spark plugs, valve covers and gaskets

I've searched and read and still do not have a definite answer or at least a clear indication of what might be wrong.

About two weeks ago, my brother's 2003 350z started having issues. The 1st week he indicated his car reaked of unburned fuel - there was a yellowish stain around his bumper where the Greddy Ti-C comes out.

That weekend when driving to my house his car started to turn off on him while driving. When he got to my house the car would have difficulties staying on and the check engine, tcs and slip light where all on. I reseted the ecu using the accelator pedal and all the lights when off and car turned on.

Changed out the spark plugs and noticed cylinder 6 (last on driver side) was completely filled with oil and the coil pack came apart. Cylinders 1&3 (first 2 on the passenger side) had a little bit of oil on the plugs when I pulled them out. My brother drove the car home with no issues. I didn't take out the oil in the spark plug area, I just left it there. BTW the car has 120k miles. The next day he drove the car to work with no issues but on the way home was another story. So he parked the car in the garage all week.

I finally got a chance and I replaced the valve gaskets and covers. I did everything as instructed. I did not replace any of the intake manifold metal gaskets. I did not remove the throttle body but I did disconnect it. I did move the position of the cam sensor in the rear a little because I remove the bolt that held it but I put it right back. All sensors are connected and all coolant lines as well.

After everything was said and done started up the car and now it idles rough and sounds like a Subaru when I rev it up. Still smells like gas and oil but can be whatever was left over that's burning away.

I don't know what to do at this point...please help. All questions and pointers accepted.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:06 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

any time you unplug the TB, you must reset it afterthe car is hot.

start there.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:01 AM
PCH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok - thank you