Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Shifter moving under accel/decel

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 11:34 AM
slowstang06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter moving under accel/decel

hey all, my 08 Z has about 84k on it, and I noticed on the interstate (especially in 5th and 6th gear) the shifter will move back (towards me) when I am on the gas and if I let off the gas it will slightly move forward. It vibrates a little at idle, but nothing too crazy I don't think. I'm just wondering if this is normal for a Z (I just bought it and I'm coming from having a built mustang where just about everything vibrated a little bit lol) or if it might be a motor/transmission mount? Should I be concerned?
VIDEOS:
Idle
Moving forward and back
thanks!

Last edited by slowstang06; 10-08-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:36 AM
AshMan
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

If you could post a video, that would help out. Mine vibrates as well, nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:47 AM
slowstang06

Originally Posted by AshMan
If you could post a video, that would help out. Mine vibrates as well, nothing out of the ordinary.
Thanks! I will get a video of it while driving once I get off work -- provided the interstate isn't a parking lot itself.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Slowstang, in front wheel drive cars the shift lever mechanism is bolted solidly to the car body and operates the trans through cables. In front engine rear wheel drive (as God intended) cars, the shifter mechanism and shift lever are bolted solidly to the trans. The engine/trans are bolted together and ride on rubber bushings. As you accelerate/decelerate the whole engine/trans/shifter unit will move around bit. Totally normal. If one of the trans or engine mounts is broken then you would see an exaggerated movement in the shifter, but you would also feel the overall slop in the whole drive train.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:56 PM
350ZZJoe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car does the exact same thing. If you are barely on the throttle on highway speeds and let off you can feel the shifter sort of 'pop' for lack of a better word.

I've always noticed it but just chalked it up to the way the car is made like Jennifer just explained above.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:00 PM
slowstang06

Thanks Jennifer 2! I don't think it was that bad that I feel the whole drivetrain. But as promised here are the videos, first is idling the second while driving (accel and then off gas)
View My Video
View My Video