Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clutch engaging when fully depressed..?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 06:29 PM
More Lotion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Clutch engaging when fully depressed..?

I'm having issues with my 03 350z 100k miles.
Yesterday after coming home from school, I realized my clutch felt odd. I drove home and was attempting to reverse and park. My clutch was engaging extremely early, maybe 1/2 inch to 1 inch off the floor. I do have a RJM Clutch Assembly, but it felt dramatically different and resulted in my stalling. I tried again and it appears even if I have my clutch fully pressed down, the car would slightly engage and move.. When maneuvering from first gear/ neutral / reverse, it would get stuck in one of those gears. Until I turn off the car, release the clutch and depress it again.

Also, my clutch pedal feels spongy I suppose and when I depress it and try to slowly lift off, at about 1 inch -2 inches it has absolutely minimum pressure against my foot, where I can hold it with my pinky toe.
I had my clutch master cylinder changed maybe 4 months ago and just had my slave cylinder changed again, same problem.
My uncle who works at Midas told me its most likely my clutch and would cost me $1800 parts/labor. Which I thought was insanely high..

Also note, since it slightly engages when my clutch is fully depressed, I can hear a little difference when driving. It sounds like my clutch is being burned while I drive.... Will that damage my transmission ?! No gears are grinding when I shift, but the fact its slightly engaged just worries me.

So I'm stuck, what do you think is the problem & what should I do? Should I try taking it to a Nissan Dealership or another shop?

Last edited by More Lotion; 02-20-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:47 AM
RaceBreed350Z

Best thing to do is remove the trans before you damage the clutch more. It might still be fixable. Looks like the clutch was installed un-correctly & is touching the flywheel bolts making your car move while the clutch is depressed. & Check your slave cylinder it might be a mixture of things instead of one problem.

Last edited by RaceBreed350Z; 02-21-2014 at 03:49 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:12 PM
More Lotion

I have it in the shop now. They're pulling out the transmission and replacing the stock clutch and flywheel with the JWT Clutch and Flywheel Hope everything turns out okay.