Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Weird AC problem, and i mean WEIRD.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 01:30 PM
the_dood

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird AC problem, and i mean WEIRD.

So last year, i replaced the AC condenser. Old one got a tiny hole in it due to constant vibration with the frame. I correctly pulled a vacuum, and put the proper amount of compressor oil in it. Charged it up with refrigerant, all was good. All this was around November of last year. Although everything worked out good, the AC never really got AS cold as it did before.

Back in April of this year when i turned it on, the AC would cycle on for about 3-4 seconds then stop for a few, then try and cycle back on for a few then stop....you get the idea. I had half a can of refrigerant with a gauge on the hose, it was WAY to high with the compressor running. I took some out, until the compressor kicked on and stayed on. It was working fine until the same cycle issue happened again early in June. And just like before the gauge indicated that there was too much pressure, so i let some out until the compressor kicked on and ran steadily. TODAY, the same thing happened again. Now i dont know WTF the problem is. I feel if i keep letting refrigerant out, its gonna be too low and then it wont even cycle on.

Does anyone have any idea what might be the issue?
Old 07-06-2015, 05:04 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Sounds like it was initially overcharged and you're getting it back to normal pressure. Pressure seems to be getting higher because it's hotter outside, same as with tire pressures. In the future, the proper way to charge an empty system is by weight of refrigerant added, as per the manufacturer's spec.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:36 PM
the_dood

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made sure it had the right pressure when i originally filled the line back up with refrigerant. I have a really nice hose and a good gauge on it. im just afraid why its not as cold before the leak ever started.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:15 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by the_dood
I made sure it had the right pressure when i originally filled the line back up with refrigerant. I have a really nice hose and a good gauge on it. im just afraid why its not as cold before the leak ever started.
Your sig is pretty funny.

Honestly, I've done refills for years. Pretty simple if all components are working properly.

Make sure your small/low side is cool or sweating, and your high side is warm to the touch. Might be a good time to borrow an a/c buddy's guages to see your low side too.

gl