Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Urgent: Need Help. No Hot Air from Heater while idle.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 02:23 AM
andrew.white

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Urgent: Need Help. No Hot Air from Heater while idle.

so leaving my work in a snap freeze today, i realized that my car was blowing cold air, even when the heater was cranked all the way up. i was completely out of coolant. i ran to the gas station and grabbed some. accidentally filled up my overflow tank ALL THE WAY, like an idiot. My dad came and helped me, cause he was awake nearby, he bought me another bottle of coolant. we filled up my radiator and let it idle for awhile. the window defrosted, but my car still wasn't blowing any hot air. we decided to drive the car to make sure that i wouldn't overheat. the car did fine, we got it home. it finally blew luke warm on the way home. but nothing as hot as usual. when i looked at it later before work, it still wouldn't blow any hot air. we bled the system, and there was alot of air in the system, but that didn't seem tot fix the issue.

now while the car is idling, the hose that takes the coolant into the block is cool and the hose that takes the coolant out is hot. am i clogged somewhere? is my blend door(i believe its called) disconnected from the switch? is my heater core bad? should i get a full system flush or should i try bleeding it again? any help and ideas would be great.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:34 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

basic troubleshooting, which you kinda did, should lead you to the thermostat. just my 2 cents, you might want to keep up with basic maintenance on your car better, coolant doesnt just disappear overnight (unless you have a bad leak, and then you would see it on the ground)
Old 12-21-2015, 04:53 AM
andrew.white

Originally Posted by travlee
basic troubleshooting, which you kinda did, should lead you to the thermostat. just my 2 cents, you might want to keep up with basic maintenance on your car better, coolant doesnt just disappear overnight (unless you have a bad leak, and then you would see it on the ground)
I get that. My cap was crooked on the radiator which caused the leak. I don't neglect my car. Simple mistake. Had to go to work, didn't really think anything of the cold air at first until it became really apparent. The car blows luke warm air while driving, its just while its at idle that it gets ice cold.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:00 AM
travlee
Master

here is what i would do..... replace t-stat (cheap), radiator cap, and bleed, bleed, bleed, ....
Old 12-21-2015, 08:24 AM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

So, I can't tell from your posts but did the engine get to a normal temp? If it didn't its most likely the thermostat. If the engine did get to temp it's more likely an air bubble problem. If you think the radiator cap is damaged, do a pressure test. I am guessing you can rent a pressure tester.

Either way the car is hard to bleed if you don't follow nissan instructions. It's apparently easier if you have a vacuum bleed system, never tried this way, or a
funnel that fits on the radiator cap funnel that fits on the radiator cap
, I have had good luck on other cars with this system, along with following Nissan's instructions.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:04 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Isn't their a bleeder somewhere in the back of the engine by the firewall... I remember reading something about that, should show up with a search..
Old 12-21-2015, 05:32 PM
andrew.white

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Isn't their a bleeder somewhere in the back of the engine by the firewall... I remember reading something about that, should show up with a search..
yeah there is. i have revved the car to 3k rpms and held it for ten seconds and then slowly opened that bleeder valve to let the air out three or four times. the car warms up during and immediately after revving, but it cools back down after a few minutes
Old 12-21-2015, 05:35 PM
andrew.white

Originally Posted by rancor
So, I can't tell from your posts but did the engine get to a normal temp? If it didn't its most likely the thermostat. If the engine did get to temp it's more likely an air bubble problem. If you think the radiator cap is damaged, do a pressure test. I am guessing you can rent a pressure tester.

Either way the car is hard to bleed if you don't follow nissan instructions. It's apparently easier if you have a vacuum bleed system, never tried this way, or a funnel that fits on the radiator cap, I have had good luck on other cars with this system, along with following Nissan's instructions.
the engine gets to normal temp. where would i get a pressure tester? like o'reillys or auto zone or a specialty shop? what are Nissan's procedures for bleeding the system? cause someone on a similar thread said to have someone rev to 2 or 3k and hold it for a few seconds while i slowly open the bleeder valve.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:25 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew.white
the engine gets to normal temp. where would i get a pressure tester? like o'reillys or auto zone or a specialty shop? what are Nissan's procedures for bleeding the system? cause someone on a similar thread said to have someone rev to 2 or 3k and hold it for a few seconds while i slowly open the bleeder valve.
Follow the tips already given. Jack up the side of the car with the bleeder. Might take a ton of times before all the air comes out. T stat and cap are cheap.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:25 PM
andrew.white

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
Follow the tips already given. Jack up the side of the car with the bleeder. Might take a ton of times before all the air comes out. T stat and cap are cheap.
so jack that side of the car up and then follow those steps? run it tile it warms up, rev it, then open that bleeder valve? and just repeat?
Old 12-21-2015, 07:41 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

There are two kinds of threads you'll find on this topic. A few describing the proper technique and tools required, and then a whole crapload of threads describing failure due to not reading the other threads, or the FSM, for that matter. Guess which type of thread this is.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:47 PM
andrew.white

Originally Posted by dcains
There are two kinds of threads you'll find on this topic. A few describing the proper technique and tools required, and then a whole crapload of threads describing failure due to not reading the other threads, or the FSM, for that matter. Guess which type of thread this is.
whats your issue fam? i posted to get thoughts as I'm sure others have had the issue and done other things besides Nissan's SOP for how things go, like jacking the car up, or opening the bleeder valve, which isn't in the SOP. still fairly new to the site. so why don't you link me to the correct procedures then or actually help.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:01 PM
andrew.white

Originally Posted by dcains
Originally Posted by kamilitaryman
I thought I'd chime in with my experience on this as my heater was also blowing cold air at idle. I followed the FSM procedure to remove air from the system. The FSM does not mention anything about having the car parked on an incline to do this. I cheated a little bit and added my own step to the FSM to make things easier. Basically, once my radiator and overfill tank were filled to the proper level, I put the rad. cap back on and added more coolant via the air relief port. Once it started overflowing, I closed it up and proceeded to step # 5 in the FSM. It worked like a charm on the 1st try! I had to add a very small amount to the radiator once I got done with step #7.

Good luck!
cause there was this post which is of a Nissan bleed SOP. but i mean, i only failed cause i didn't do this right?
Old 12-21-2015, 08:09 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Look,at the thread "coolant purge nightmare". There's one of these coolant threads maybe once a week it seems, and before you do anything, you need to use the search function and read everything you can.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:22 AM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by andrew.white
whats your issue fam? i posted to get thoughts as I'm sure others have had the issue and done other things besides Nissan's SOP for how things go, like jacking the car up, or opening the bleeder valve, which isn't in the SOP. still fairly new to the site. so why don't you link me to the correct procedures then or actually help.

The following users liked this post:
zakmartin (12-22-2015)