Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Soft Top Problems (as expected it seems)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 07:44 PM
msalsz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Top Problems (as expected it seems)

So I recently got the car knowing the soft top didn't work. However...it was a bit more lame than expected. The hour and half drive home consisted of my friend and I holding down the top so it didn't blow off. Well anyway we had to replace the latch which wasn't a problem, but nothing will get the top to move down.. or up.

So I go through the process of lowering the roof, parking brake, brake, button, ect and all that happens is the rear latch disconnects.

The seats do not move and the windows do not go down either.

I have checked the fuses near the pedals and under the hood. Thanks to the very detailed bow replacement thread I was able to remove and test that (it works), but discovered that, even when the open button is being pressed it receives no power.

This leads me to believe it is the soft top control unit but am not sure.

If anyone could confirm this or lend their advice I'd be extremely grateful. Thank You!

(2005 Touring Roadster)
Old 04-13-2017, 08:51 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

I'd start by hooking the car up to a computer that can read BCM error codes, which won't necessarily throw a CEL.
The following users liked this post:
msalsz (04-23-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 09:02 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

If I understand you correctly have you checked for signal when your open/close switch is pressed? (At the switch).
Until you get it sorted you can detach the 2 10mm struts from the soft top frame and raise/lower by hand, assuming you can move the tonneau.
Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
msalsz (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 12:58 PM
msalsz

@zakmartin So while it was getting some other stuff done at the shop I asked the guy to check for BCM codes, of which he said he found none, Thank you though

@jhc I checked for a signal at the 5th bow motor to see if it was getting power, which it wasn't :/ ... but today I'm going to try to open the tonneau.. which is proving to be a nuisance... but once I do, I'll probably go with that for now!

I'm going to try to troubleshoot today and check for signals at the switch and any other connections I find.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:54 PM
msalsz

And so all down and the top is working... bow motor is weak though... Ill go through with fixing that.

So what I started with was disconnecting the 10mm struts so I could open the back piece of the top all the way, then went into the trunk manually turning the motors in the rear to lift the cover. To assist I was gonna press the open button, and the seats started moving (this is was not happening before)
Old 04-23-2017, 04:57 PM
msalsz

... so i plugged everything back in walah it went down fine. Came up a but slow and down a but slow again with some assistance, hence the bow motor repair.. Thanks guys for the help (and thanks for the bow motor tutorial) and all the info available here!