Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Really odd thermostat related question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 09:19 AM
irbullet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Really odd thermostat related question

well, my car was overheating and today I decided to replace the thermostat with an oem replacement and such, well I did that and so far it *seems* to have fixed the overheating. I've tried to replicate the overheating issue and I cannot. We'll see whenever it gets hotter outside. But, my oil pressure used to be fairly low at idle when warmed up and since changing the thermostat it is now in spec. Could a thermostat have affected the oil PSI? I'd assume due to temperatures, I didn't think it'd fix the oil PSI issues at idle but it seems to have done so. Is this possible?
Old 06-24-2017, 11:14 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I guess it depends on how much hotter your engine was running before, but higher oil temp = lower oil pressure. You might also try a different weight oil. You're in a hot climate, and the Nissan spec'd oil is 5w30. You might try Mobil 1 0w40, which is what I use in in S. Florida. Oil pressures don't peak so high when the engine is cold, but they also don't drop too low when the engine is hot. Seems like the ideal oil for our cars.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:29 AM
irbullet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcains
I guess it depends on how much hotter your engine was running before, but higher oil temp = lower oil pressure. You might also try a different weight oil. You're in a hot climate, and the Nissan spec'd oil is 5w30. You might try Mobil 1 0w40, which is what I use in in S. Florida. Oil pressures don't peak so high when the engine is cold, but they also don't drop too low when the engine is hot. Seems like the ideal oil for our cars.
I switched to Mobil 1 0w-40 3k miles or so ago. The pressure still seems to be within spec due to the thermostat change. I'm really shocked not gonna lie. I'll keep the thread updated.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:24 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

A couple of my cars have oil temp gauges, and you can definitely see the inverse relationship between oil pressure and oil temp.