Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Exhaust timing CEL/SES codes on a VQ35DE non rev-up - harness / ECU question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 07:14 PM
x_hawker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust timing CEL/SES codes on a VQ35DE non rev-up - harness / ECU question

Hi everyone, I have recently purchased a 2006 350z base model and it has a few SES codes. I am hoping that you guys could help me identify the issue.

Some important background information:

I noticed that the motor had been swapped from a rev-up to a non rev-up motor; therefore, I have a non rev-up VQ35DE. I also noticed that the interior kick panels that covered the ECU were missing, and I am not sure whether the ECU/harness had also been swapped as well. The previous owner told me that the SES light had come on after he had an Invidia exhaust installed (he purchased the car from a previous owner who likely had the motor swapped), but we cannot assume that as true.

Some extra information: The car passed smog prior to the exhaust install, meaning there could not have been any CEL/SES lights on at the time. But we cannot rule out the fact that the previous owner may have had the car illegally smogged (paid more to pass).

I also have the following SES/CEL codes:

P0078 and P0084, for both Exhaust Valve Timing Control Magnet Retarders,

P1078 and P1084 Exhaust Valve Timing Control Position Sensor Banks 1 and 2

P0507 Idle Control System.

My assumption is that since these codes are all related to exhaust valve timing system, that the ECU may not have been replaced with a non rev-up ECU during the swap.

My questions are:

1) Would it be possible for a VQ35DE non rev-up ECU to get these exhaust timing codes?

2) Is there a way to tell the difference between a rev-up vs a non rev-up ECU?

3) Assuming the original 2006 wiring harness was retained, would it be able to hook up to a 2003-2005 ECU without issues? Since both ECU's appear to have identical inputs.

Looking forward to seeing what you guys think, thanks!

Last edited by x_hawker; 09-13-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:54 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

To be honest, all your questions can be answered by having a dealer hook up a CONSULT to the ECU to see which version it is. Since there were several revisions to the ECU between launch and the switch to the HR, each requiring different firmware updates, I'd assume that they're each unique.

I thought in the state of California, it was illegal to replace an engine with one from an older model vehicle (meaning you can't put a 2004 engine in a 2006 car). That was a while ago though... maybe it's changed.

Last edited by zakmartin; 09-14-2017 at 02:46 PM. Reason: My spelin' socks.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:09 PM
x_hawker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, thanks for your help! Yes, you're right it is illegal to put an older model engine into a newer car, which is kind of annoying because now I'll either have to:

a) replace the current motor with a rev-up

or

b) Find an 03-04 ecu to use. The tricky part about this route is that I'm not sure how to check whether my motor uses a wide band or narrow band O2 sensor since I believe 04.5 and up began using wideband and so I would need to get A matching ecu. The tricky part about this is that I may fail smog in the future due to the fact that the ecu will show that the car is an 04, when on papee it is an 06.

Anyone have any ideas regarding option b? Since all the codes stem from the lack of the variable exhaust cam sensors, I'm pretty sure that would solve the CEL/SES light issue. My main question/concern is how using an 04 ecu would affect my passing of a smog check (04 ecu in an 06 car). Anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-14-2017, 06:33 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,268 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Seems like you've got 3 choices... Swap to a rev-up motor, ditch the car all together, or find the guy that sold it to you and punch him in the neck. The last one won't fix the car, but it might make you feel better.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:52 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Yeah, your options are pretty limited here. It may be cheaper to just put it on ebay and state that it has an off-year engine in it and hope for the best. You're not going to pass emissions with an older engine in your car since it's ECU controlled and can be VIN tested against the chassis VIN on the registration.