Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Rear End Creak When Braking? Solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 12:35 PM
Bernardo Z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear End Creak When Braking? Solutions?

Hey guys. My Z Is still making the awful creaking sound when I'm braking under 20mph. It's coming from the rear right wheel. I replaced all rotors, pads, calipers, and lines. Did everything right. Even changed the wheel bearing in that wheel. I found a video on YouTube of another Z making the exact same identicle sound out of the same wheel. I will litteraly do anything or PayPal someone $5 if they gave me any idea what this could be. It's been a month I haven't drove my Z because of it and don't have time to take it to a shop because of work and school. Do you guys think it might be the suspension? This is my last resort guys. I'm so close to selling my car. Again thank you.

check out this video I found of the same noise

​​​​​​https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MEquLbmjx4w

Last edited by Bernardo Z33; 10-04-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:43 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,058 Likes on 746 Posts

For some reason the video isn't loading for me, but it's likely suspension-related since you're hearing it at low speeds. Check your bushings back there and your rear endlinks. If you've got some miles on it, then they're probably worn out.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:47 AM
Bernardo Z33

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
For some reason the video isn't loading for me, but it's likely suspension-related since you're hearing it at low speeds. Check your bushings back there and your rear endlinks. If you've got some miles on it, then they're probably worn out.
I have no idea why the link isn't working. Go on YouTube and search up "Please help!! 350z rear wheel squeak!" Should be a video by roy boy. It'll help out so much. You'll be doing me a big favor
Old 08-24-2019, 04:20 AM
I DTW I

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have this same problem. A "back and forth" textured creaking noise when braking under 20mph - stop. It sounds exactly like the Z in the video you posted. And also in this other video I found. Although the mic and my laptop speakers don't replicate the sound very well I can tell it's the same thing. The guy in the second video posted an update and said it was his wheel bearing. The video the OP posted, there is a commenter that says "100% wheel bearing". It makes sense it's the wheel bearing on my car as the right rear is the only one I haven't replaced yet.

Second video --->>
Old 08-25-2019, 08:56 AM
I DTW I

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

UPDATE: I had a cracked rear rotor! It was a fine crack at 1o'clock and 5o'clock (2 cracks) and they were fine enough I didn't notice them until I had the wheel off and was looking at it up close. They were slotted and drilled rotors that were 8 years old and cracked at two of the drilled holes. I swapped with my stock rotor and no more noise. The wheel had no play when shaking it back and forth testing for wheel bearing play.
The following users liked this post:
mr. sparco (08-25-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 04:52 AM
Bernardo Z33

Smile

Originally Posted by I DTW I
UPDATE: I had a cracked rear rotor! It was a fine crack at 1o'clock and 5o'clock (2 cracks) and they were fine enough I didn't notice them until I had the wheel off and was looking at it up close. They were slotted and drilled rotors that were 8 years old and cracked at two of the drilled holes. I swapped with my stock rotor and no more noise. The wheel had no play when shaking it back and forth testing for wheel bearing play.
Wow really?? Thats good that you found the answer! It turned out for me it was the wheel bearing again. I guess the wheel bearing I put in was not pressed in right and it was lose causing my caliper to move when braking and rubbing against the rotor. I replaced the bearing with a whole brand new hub assembly. No more noise I for sure thought our car was broken bad.

Conclusion: To any of you Z brothers that have this exact same noise coming from the rear when braking slowly, please check your brakes and dustshield. Also your wheel might not show any play but please REPLACE YOUR WHEEL BEARING!