Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

My tire feathering experiance

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 04:22 PM
G}{H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My tire feathering experiance

My Z started having tire noise at about 7,500 miles, from 9,000 on it was loud and annoying.

I took my Z in for the TSB because I am almost at 12,000 and my tires are starting to get all chewed up on the inside. I had a few problems at the dealer that I never expected.

First 2 weeks ago I went in and explained all my problems, I also spent about 5 minutes trying to explain to the service manager how you would rotate the front tires on the Z by removing them and swapping sides I used a few pieces of paper as a demonstration, he finally got the point…

Due to a snowstorm I had to reschedule, I called in and once again explained my issues with the tires getting chewed up and the loud roaring noise as I drive. When I get there and once again explain my problem I was told that

“I have to pay for an alignment, because… well look at the roads out there”

I went into my little packet of info and pulled out the TSB and showed the guy, then explained how I AM NOT going to pay for something that is a common occurrence on the car. He then told me he could not do the alignment under warrantee, because Nissan USA will not pay him unless he has a certificate of calibration for the alignment machine. He pulled out a bulletin from Nissan stating that, but it said EFFECTIVE May 1, 2004. I brought that up buy he brushed it off and said he could not do it.

I told them to do the oil change and I would get back to them with clearance for them to do the repairs. I called Nissan and I was told the following

My problem is covered in full under the Adjustments Warrantee

1 Year/12,000 miles
The replace the faulty part, front alignment as well as replace the tires if needed.

I get back to the dealer and he still tells me he will not perform the alignment because of this certificate problem. Back on the phone with Nissan and “same rep as before” he confirms that this certificate of calibration policy in not in effect until May 1, 2004 so there is no reason why it cannot be done, still on the phone I let the service manager know and he looks at the bulletin and realizes his mistake. So I told him I wanted all the work done and his response was. “The tires are chewed up and after the work is done they will still make the noise” … Still on the phone with the rep he tells me that the tires will then need to be replaced, under warrantee.

So as it stands now Tires are on order and my car is scheduled to go in this week.

Damn what a pain in the *** to get a warrantee repair done on a well known problem.

FUNNY ADDITION, I came back to the dealer later that afternoon because I needed to get my squeaks and rattles taken care of, I take a tech out for a drive and he says yup I hear the squeaks, but I would worry about getting them tires fixed it sounds like you need an alignment or new tires LOL
Old 03-30-2004, 05:44 PM
ad350

man, that sucks! I am about to take mine for the tbs..........hope i don't have any problems like that.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:36 PM
JLC350ZX

Interesting your dealer talked about a "certificate of calibration", because I was just reading the following post over on ZCAR.com.

Author: znstarz (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: Mar 30, 6:53pm

Yesterday we received notice that Nissan was changing the way we process warranty claims for alignments. Nissan is now requiring dealers to have their alignment machine calibrated yearly (good idea). We must keep record of the calibration on file for Nissans inspection if requested. The other part is that for every warranty alignment that we do we must now include a copy of this calibration certificate with the claim. What a joke! Any case, I get the funny feeling that this is heading toward the Z tire issue. I think Nissan is going to nail this one on the dealers. I for one own a DSP4000(?) Hunter alignment machine that we bought a year ago. I think its the best Hunter sells. I would think that this machine would be able to do a great aligment. Plus we have some great techs who do the job well. So anyway, we will see. I just thought the timing was interesting.....
Old 03-31-2004, 04:40 AM
G}{H

ad350 - Just go in there with all the info and you should have no problems. Also have this # handy "1 (800) Nissan1" just in case. The reps there helped me out with about a 5 minute hold time. So I was able to call while at the dealership.

JLC350ZX - I figured as much, but still the dealership I went to should have been able to accomodate me instead of telling me it might be a few months before they get their calibration done. Looks like I got there at the right time though. Prior to May 1st so I am OK..... I hope