Notices
Media Share Z Related Photos and Video

ocdz's build: 6 years and running

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 01:47 PM
ocdz

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ocdz's build: 6 years and running

Quick preface: I had a VERY old intro post circa '09 and decided rather than try to revive it, I should start fresh and detail the build since then. Car is a 2003 Touring model Silverstone WV2 w/ the somewhat unique tan leather interior. Bought this car in August of 2009 as a 2 previous owner East coast car. Drove 5 hours to get it, and it was the closet 6MT I could find. One year of daily driving through an Ohio winter, and I decide that it will be a fair weather only car from there on out.

The initial round of mods were: Greddy Ti-C Single exhaust, HKS RS intake, Stance coilovers, K-sport front A-arms, Megan racing camber/toe/traction rods, and Stillen swaybars. I was also able to scrape together funds to purchase SSR SP1's. (While graciously living with my parents and paying cash to go to grad school).

2010-2012: Moved to continue school, this made it a lot harder to continue modding the car but was still working full time and going to school after work. Installed a few more mods over the next 2-3 years. Plenum spacer, Wilwood BBK, played with a few body styles, lip kit, Nismo V3 (with splitter), Nismo V2 (never installed), C-west Carbon sides and rear spats, Voltex Type 2 wing.

2013: Seems now that this was a lifetime ago in the build of my car, but it wasn't that long. Another front end change to the C-West type E long nose to round out the C-west kit. Cosworth plenum, wire tuck, wilwood brakes out and replaced with Stoptech 6 pot. It was about this time that I decided a lot of the parts I had previously installed were junk. K-sport and megan suspension arms out, full SPL arms everywhere (a-arms, rear camber/toe/traction).

2014: Seems like at this point the build has been gaining pace exponentially. This might be the first time I've really been happy where the car is and where it's going. Mods around this time include Bride Zeta 3L, Works Bell steering hub and QD, Personal neo grinta.

2015: So everything I had done up to this year was starting to seem like a jumble of parts that I threw at the car and had a lot of half finished areas (interior). I was also really starting to grow desperate for more power. I started to formulate a one year plan to finish a lot of the half done areas and boost the car. Parts installed at the beginning of 2015: PPE long tube headers, Motordyne TDX V2, Southbend stage 3 clutch and aluminum flywheel, Zspeed Tilton master cylinder, new oem slave, Bride Zeta 3 XL(x2), Kirk racing roll bar, Innovate wideband, Pioneer headunit, Chase bays P/S cooler reservoir and lines, Chase bays coolant overflow, Radium auto catch can, Energy suspension full rear suspension bushings, SPL solid diff bushing, Nismo V3 front end (New one, the C-west was too long), Uprev tune, Craftsquare mirrors, Depo 06+ headlights.

So this is how the car sits right now. I still haven't grown tired of it, and I'm excited about getting through this winter and getting some "finishing" touches on the car.

Beyond 2015: Lots of plans for the build over the winter. I've learned from my mistakes of years past, waiting months and months for parts to arrive. Already bought: Vortech V3 SCi tuner kit, 2.87 pulley, homemade "GTM" pulley mod, ID 1000s, CJM stage 0 fuel return, Walbro gs342, Treadstone TR1045, R-rydes 1 piece polished charge pipe. Still to buy: 25 row oil cooler, koyo radiator, vented carbon hood. Also planning to switch coilovers at some point, converting the rear back from a true coil to an oem style spring with SPL midlink. Pick up a stoptech rear bbk setup. Also trying to figure out how to low mount a Voltex wing so that it is a little more incognito.

...and thats it for now. I'd really like to thank the forum for providing all the information and for driving me to push on with the build. The motivation from watching some of the OG builds on the forum is the reason the car is where it is today. I can't name everyone by username, but if you're reading this and you've been around a long time... you're probably one of them. Thanks.

Last edited by ocdz; 10-03-2015 at 02:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ocdz:
rustyschopshop (12-29-2015), sofakiing (12-29-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 03:08 PM
WPPJR30

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Very nice…
Old 10-03-2015, 03:39 PM
Sickboy101

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

Looking great.

quality parts... well done!
Old 10-03-2015, 08:43 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

You're doing a great job with this car; congrats on the fine parts you have installed.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:28 AM
XM 1

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

car looks awesome...but i liked the C-West long nose front better
Old 10-06-2015, 06:19 PM
ocdz

Thanks everybody.

I had the C-West type E on for around two years. It scraped everywhere, I couldn't even pull out of my driveway without a major scrape. The nismo is a good compromise, it is a lot more common though.

Better pic of C-west.

The following users liked this post:
WPPJR30 (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 06:35 AM
WPPJR30

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by XM 1
car looks awesome...but i liked the C-West long nose front better
Loved that look.
The following users liked this post:
XM 1 (10-13-2015)
Old 10-16-2015, 01:10 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Nice..... I like all new parts....soon soon, ..FI maybe?
Old 10-16-2015, 02:24 AM
Pengu

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Very clean! Can't wait to see the FMIC on that thing.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:43 PM
ocdz

My car has been down for a few weeks now and I've made a fair bit of progress. Not sure why my phone takes such terrible pictures... one of these days I'll get my Canon out and take some decent pictures of the build before I button it up.

ID 1000 fuel injectors, Walbro GS342 fuel pump, CJM S0 fuel return system are installed.

Vortech bracket and head unit are in and I have the plenum and TB back in as well.

Today I mocked up all the intercooler tubing and test fit the intercooler support that I'm welding up. The 2x10 wood piece is a jig that I made to represent the core support and the Treadstone TR1045 intercooler. Then I welded around that to create the tube support seen in the photo. Brought it home to test fit one more time and will be going back to my work to finish up the welding now that I know it fits.

Only issue I currently have is that I bought the newest Koyo 36mm cross flow radiator, and the bottom hose on the driver side is very close to the intercooler tubing (not in the same spot as the stock radiator).It fits, but not without a silicone connector touching the radiator hose. It's not ideal but it'll have to do for now.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:55 PM
ocdz

Oh and for anyone who is interested, the parts needed for the homemade GTM pulley mod are as follows:

-Gates pulley part number: T42005
-6 rib belt with 79.5 inch length I bought a Gates Fleet Runner Heavy Duty. Part number: K060795HD

Total cost from Rock auto $52

You'll also need:
-M10x1.25 bolt 40mm in length
-8.7mm drill bit
-M10x1.25 general purpose tap

Total cost from Mcmaster-Carr $33

Still cheaper than GTM was charging.