Notices
Media Share Z Related Photos and Video

Chewwy's Progress Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 06:36 AM
chewwyy

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

ALL DONE! FINALLY!

Big thanks to the guys at Z1 for their help. I was struggling to get the lower shock mount bushings to go together flush. I called them up, they transferred me to another guy who ran to the shop and checked with one of the techs. They told me to make a couple small pie shaped cuts into the end going into the bushing, and voila! I got them together finally.

Buttoned the car up last night and took it for a drive. Feels great! I wish the whole car had poly bushings now, well worth the effort. I still think I'll need a Front Right Wheel bearing in the near future though... it never ends.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:41 AM
chewwyy

Not much new on the Z. It's filthy, I haven't washed it in awhile. The other day I was browsing Kijiji and was able to snag two SKF Rear wheel Bearings locally, $50 for both BNIB. Once I order new hubs, those will go in.

My front Passenger Wheel Bearing has been groaning pretty bad recently, so today I ordered up two new front wheel bearings, in my experience, once one goes, the other follows shortly after. I wanted to change out my diff fluid because I'm not sure when it was done last, so I ordered some Motul Diff Fluid. I put in new OEM fluids in the trans when I did the clutch last spring but I wanted to change it out for redline as I've been told it'll help my grumbling syncro's in 5th/6th and help the notchiness.

Next week will be a busy week!

Old 08-14-2018, 05:49 AM
chewwyy

Bought the Motive Power Bleeder after a small discussion in the "What did you do to your Z today" thread.
Figured it would make it much easier after I change my fluids. Might do brake fluid while I'm at it.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:06 AM
chewwyy

My bearings and fluids arrived at my PO Box Tuesday, so yesterday morning I drove across the border picked everything up, and came back and did the install. I've only ever done Front Wheel bearings on a FWD car, so doing them on the Z was a breeze! The car feels great, the whole front end is practically brand new now!

i forgot to take a pic of the freshy-fresh bearings...

Next Up: Diff & Trans Fluids. My motive power bleeder should arrive today/tomorrow.

Last edited by chewwyy; 08-16-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:40 AM
chewwyy

Well, I've been keeping my eyes open for a good trade-in to use as a winter-beater/daily and I got lucky and found one. It's all mine!

2002 Honda Accord EX-L - 4cyl Auto
181KM, Sunroof, Leather, Heated Seats, A/C Works

Going to leave it until the fall then put it on the road. I'll drive it home for lunch once a week or so.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:28 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

ah a daily...time to start really gutting the Z!
Old 08-27-2018, 05:11 AM
chewwyy

Originally Posted by guitman32
ha ha... time to give it a rest for a bit soon. I have put almost 50,000 KM or 30-32,000 Miles since I bought it in 2017!
Old 09-04-2018, 05:30 AM
chewwyy

Here in Canada, we had our labour day weekend, this past weekend, meaning we had Monday off

I got off work early Saturday and went up to Newmarket then Barrie this weekend to visit friends and do some nice backroad drives in the Z.
I managed to snap this picture that I really like!

Old 09-24-2018, 08:41 PM
chewwyy

Originally Posted by guitman32
lol... ok maybe a little bit... Anyone have any recommendations on a quick/painless way to remove the leftover grit/gunk.

Also, has anyone successfully moved the amp/etc in the bottom left corner to the upper deck area behind the driver's seat?
The following users liked this post:
BluestreamDE (09-26-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 10:07 AM
chewwyy

It's starting to get cold here in Southern Ontario, the Z will be going into storage soon, but in the meantime, I pulled my RPF1's off and swapped my winter's back on for peace of mind in the sub 10 degree Celsius weather.

I noticed I wore through my rear tires pretty bad on the insides, Camber killed them

Placed an order with FDF Race Shop out of Trenton, Ontario for a set of new Front Upper Control Arms, and Rear Camber Arms.
He builds everything in his shop, good work with heim joints etc.. Looking forward to seeing them completed!
I can add them to the growing pile of parts for next spring.

Last edited by chewwyy; 03-12-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:46 AM
chewwyy

I was able to scoop up a OEM 350Z cover the other day!

Old 11-06-2018, 08:33 AM
chewwyy

So, a bit of a Winter Update:

While pulling into work last week, our photographer sneaked a pic of the Z dirty on the winters. I liked it.

On the way home recently, I hit a possum

I brought it into work the next day, took the bumper off to assess the damage.
I broke the Plastic shroud behind the bumper, bent my Z-Speed Aluminum Undershroud, and of course, cracked/broke my fender liner pretty bad.

I managed to tweak it all back straight as best as I could. Looks like a new bumper & fender liners will be in the cards soon.

The day this happened, I put my Accord on the road so the Z should be taking a winter nap real soon.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:07 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Freudenthaler
I go to school and work part time. Im 18 and selling my hyundai tiburon and hoping to make a payment on a 2005 350z with 50k miles for $9000, my downpayment will be about $3000. i make $500 a month, would this be a good idea making a $170/month payment on a 60 month loan period?
why the hell would you ask complete strangers this and hijack chewwy's thread? if you have to ask, no you can't afford it . jeebus
The following 2 users liked this post by travlee:
BigBlue (12-22-2018), chewwyy (11-09-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 10:21 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by chewwyy
lol... ok maybe a little bit... Anyone have any recommendations on a quick/painless way to remove the leftover grit/gunk.

Also, has anyone successfully moved the amp/etc in the bottom left corner to the upper deck area behind the driver's seat?
I removed all that extra wiring for that amp, you should be able to move it behind the seat if you removed all the wiring from the loom and get creative. The rear speaker wire might get tricky...

But best idea would be bypassing it altogether with a new head unit and new speakers.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:40 AM
chewwyy

Originally Posted by travlee
why the hell would you ask complete strangers this and hijack chewwy's thread? if you have to ask, no you can't afford it . jeebus
ha ha... this must have been deleted before I got here.

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
I removed all that extra wiring for that amp, you should be able to move it behind the seat if you removed all the wiring from the loom and get creative. The rear speaker wire might get tricky...

But best idea would be bypassing it altogether with a new head unit and new speakers.
New head unit and new speakers sounds like way more money than I want to invest in the stereo at this time.
I'll have to play with that wiring harness in the spring.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:14 AM
chewwyy

I test fit my car cover the other, fits/looks perfect!

I put the car away this past weekend until spring. The Z's resting place until May.

Now to keep adding to the parts Pile for the spring! I have a few small mods planned, and then I need to replace my 2 rear tires, and brakes. Been looking at the Z1 2 piece rotors, any feedback on those?
The following 2 users liked this post by chewwyy:
BigBlue (12-22-2018), BluestreamDE (11-20-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 05:37 AM
chewwyy

Not sure if any of you jumped on Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals, but I was able to snag myself a pretty decent deal on a helmet for next year.

I decided on the HJC AR-10 III in Flat Black. I tried it on, fit's comfortable, I'm a size M.

Comes with a light helmet carrying bag. I've been eyeing up the Nismo Helmet Bags on Z1 though..

Driver is now ready for some track days! Few more pieces needed and the Z will be ready to go!
The following users liked this post:
BluestreamDE (11-29-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 11:47 PM
SonnyWu

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Cool build. I decided to check your build out after you asked me about the battery tender. Car is looking good and keep up the great work.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:39 PM
chewwyy

Originally Posted by SonnyWu
Cool build. I decided to check your build out after you asked me about the battery tender. Car is looking good and keep up the great work.
Appreciate it! Thanks alot!

I finally popped back in here for a bit of an update. The winter has been long and cold, and so I haven't really been thinking about the Z much, however; a package arrived recently I was pretty excited about

I had ordered FDF Front Upper Control Arms and rear camber arms in the fall and they look great! Can't wait to install them, been rocking my t-shirt already

Hand-made in Trenton, Ontario the guys at FDF do some great work. They have a really nice kit to get max angle for drifting, but I just wanted the Front Upper Control Arms and rear camber arms to help dial in my alignment a little more for some back road/track day driving.

Planning to order up some new rear tires and brakes all around as well as an EPS Open Breather Conversion within the next few weeks.. Until then the spring install pile will wait...

Last edited by chewwyy; 03-12-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-09-2023, 06:02 AM
chewwyy

I guess it’s been a bit since I posted in here. Looks like almost 4 years! I still have the z, it’s been in storage the last year or so because I moved and don’t have driveway space at the moment. I’ll try to post a full update soon. But for now, this was my latest purchase for it!
​​​​​​​

Search this Thread