Media Share Z Related Photos and Video

"Free" FTP space for image hosting for AOL members

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 10:41 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up "Free" FTP space for image hosting for AOL members

Hey Vic, maybe this post is a candidate for a sticky.

--

AOL members, you have a means of hosting your own pictures with your screen name accounts (2mb per s/n, for a total of 14mb per account). I used to use AOL, and I used their FTP servers extensively for eBay auctions. Seems that a lot of you wish to have your pictures hosted for 'free' and the capability to do so is right at your fingertips. No additional fees for outside hosting.

Basically, you have to use your AOL FTP. Usually 'FTP' should work in the Keyword field, or if you can't, just type in FTP in the browser window and select the proper AOL link. From there, you need to access your FTP space... it is going to be under the directory name: members.aol.com

From there you should be able to see you server directory (which supports 2mb per screen name and a total of 14mb for all 7 screen names). To upload, you need to name the file that you wish to upload with the proper extension (example: black350z.jpg) and then find the file that want to upload. Then you upload the file and it will be ready for access.

Here's a link to a JPG image on a members.aol.com server:

The link to this picture is:

http://members.aol.com/pya911/tg1.jpg

The pya911 part is one of the screen names of my friend's user account (I used this a long time ago when I wanted to auction off my Transformer Galvatron toy. I still have it though ).

The tg1.jpg part is the name of the file that I named it a long time ago. You need to EXPLICITLY put the extension on the file name (unless the procedure has changed since I last did this with AOL).

Try it, afterall, you are paying for it.

I'm going to check the precise procedure of this when I get home to sign on personally to my friend's AOL account. From there, I can clear up any steps or confusion that any members here have with this procedure.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:39 PM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for our help! Just what I needed.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:55 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Step-by-step instructions

Glad that it worked for you Frank

--

Here is the steps that you need to take to upload your images to your AOL account (these steps using AOL 9.0).

Type in ftp in the browser address bar and then press the Enter key.

Under Recommended Sites, you'll see My FTP Space, click on the link.

A new window will come up, click on Anonymous FTP.

Scroll down to members.aol.com, highlight it, and then click the Connect button.

Click OK.

You are now in your members.aol.com FTP server space.

Click on the Upload button.

Under Remote Filename, type in the name of the file (you can name it a different name than the file you are going to upload) that you wish to upload to the server with the correct extension name, that is, the same extension as the file you are going to upload. For our my350z posting board purposes, it is recommended that the file be a .gif or .jpg.

Example: mypic.jpg

Once done, click on the Continue button.

Click on Select File.

Find the file that you wish to upload, click on it, and then press the Open button.

Then click on the Send button.

After the upload is finished, a message box will appear with the message File Transfer Complete. Click the OK button.

Now you have your image uploaded up to your own FTP server space and you can now link to your Web hosted images.

Here is an example of what your link will look like (using "myusername" as your AOL screen name):
http://members.aol.com/myusername/mypic.jpg

(the above link will not work because the s/n "myusername" is not a valid or real s/n.)

Note: you only have 2 megabytes of space per s/n, which equates to 14 megabytes of space per AOL account.

Happy uploading.

Last edited by yobri; 03-05-2004 at 04:57 PM.