Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

VA Tint Laws

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 06:07 PM
kpiskin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VA Tint Laws

I checked the tint law for VA and it's 50% for front windows, and 35% for rears. I see a lot of cars that can't possibly be only 50%, so what happens if you go lower than 50%? I've been to two tint dealers and they tell me that they won't tint any darker than the law allows, so I guess if I want 35% or more, I'd have to do it out of state. That doesn't make sense. Anyone have info on this topic?
Old 05-19-2005, 06:33 PM
nashjam

I have 30% all the way around....I know of some that have darker. I would imagine there are tint shops around you that would go as dark as you want. It's not illegal for them to put the tint on, it's illegal for you to have it. From my experience it's the more legit companies that follow the law so...you pay for what you get.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:08 AM
naturally9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most tint shops will tint as dark as you'd like it...in fact, i'm getting my windows redone tomorrow from being pulled over by a trooper last year...20% all around baby!!
Old 05-20-2005, 07:26 AM
StarcraftBW

why don't you print it from the DVM website and show to the cop everytime they try to stop you. But 50% for the front doesn't sound right at all. I ask one shop in VA they said.....legally, the tint is arround 15-20%.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:12 AM
ZIABLO
I am Batman

no, first post is correct.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:55 AM
wahoo5

Here is the link to the DMV rules if you want to read them for yourself:

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/c...sunshading.asp
Old 05-20-2005, 04:47 PM
kpiskin

I agree 50% doesn't sound right. I moved here from MD in 2000 and has 35% all around on my 300M. I didn't change the tint. I got around this because I am military and just decided to switch my MD tags to FL. I am actually a FL resident, however, I may retire soon and may not return to FL. In this case I may have to ensure my windows are legal. It seems all the surrounding states allow you to have 35% or lower, but VA is the odd state in this matter. I'm surprised many people don't petition to change this law, since not many people seem to follow it and car inspector don't check the tint.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:46 PM
ZIABLO
I am Batman

virginia is communist, everyone knows that.

but, i also have 35% all around and don't care. i highly doubt i'll ever be bothered for it.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:43 AM
StarcraftBW

I have many friends that got stopped because of 35% tint....black interior would make the tint way darker...so if you tint your car to 50%, I am pretty sure you will be bothered.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:49 PM
mdracer76
Banned

Originally Posted by EnthuZiastDrive
virginia is communist, everyone knows that.

communist..... commonwealth... same thing
Old 06-03-2005, 10:02 AM
kpiskin

I found out that you can get the tint down to 35% if you submit a medical waiver signed by a doctor. I've had refractive eye surgery, and have been a little light sensitive since then. I wonder if I can get my eye doctor to sign off on it.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Machupo

yet another great reason to be a resident of Georgia -- i could have 100% opaque windows/windshield and it'd be legal (hard to drive, but legal)
Old 06-03-2005, 09:32 PM
valdeztke

15% and waiting on my FL tags as we speak
Old 06-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Machupo

yeah, so GA tint laws changed back to ghey on jun 01
Old 06-04-2006, 08:16 AM
kpiskin

I haven't seen anything new on this, but wanted to ask a question about tint reflectivity.

According to VA Law 46.2-1052, "No sun-shading or tinting films shall be applied or affixed to any window of a motor vehicle that (i) have a reflectance of light exceeding 20 percent or (ii) produce a holographic or prism effect."

Since you can't go lower than 50% tint on the front windows, does that mean you can have a slight privacy tint (reflective) as long as it isn't more than 20% reflective? What does that even look like? Is that standard tint film or something slightly mirrored?

Here's the entire exerpt:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...+cod+46.2-1052
Old 06-04-2006, 08:43 PM
FueledIllusionz

to answer your question, that is mirror tint and tint that is filled with metal. I had 20% on my rsx for more than 6 months and was never bothered by johnny law. just put 20% on my Z and I love it. However got it done at TNT tint of Virginia Beach. Guess they were in a hurry and put a 13" scratch on the outside of my passenger window. Have to get the window replaced. They are paying for it at least. They usually do good work though. They did an awesome job on my RSX. for $170 and lifetime warranty you can't beat it.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:15 PM
GMZ

Good thread, I need to tint the windows on the Z myself
Old 06-05-2006, 08:48 AM
kpiskin

I have been meaning to tint my windows for awhile, but have been too busy to give my car up for a day. I just don't want run ins with the law.

If the mirror tint is metallic does it mess with navigation, the radio or anything else electronic?
Old 06-05-2006, 11:30 AM
FueledIllusionz

no need to give it up for a day.....the job usually takes from an hour to and hour and a half. keep the windows up for 2 days and your set. The metallic tint will not affect your car any more than anything already on it. The stereo antenna is on the outside anyways and the GPS signal is strong enough that it won't get interference.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:23 PM
Driven1
Professional

Originally Posted by FueledIllusionz
no need to give it up for a day.....the job usually takes from an hour to and hour and a half. keep the windows up for 2 days and your set. The metallic tint will not affect your car any more than anything already on it. The stereo antenna is on the outside anyways and the GPS signal is strong enough that it won't get interference.
I agree with that above statement for the most part (I dissagree in the respect that most here modify their cars and add electronics). The metallic tint can effect many different things in your car. Not only that but unfortunately most films are metallic now and its not just the "mirror tint" that will interfere with certain things. It just is not to the point where it is noticable in most cases. Take for instance the "front strip" people like...well in this area that will most likely interfere with your "speedpass" type device if you mount it in your windshield. Anyone with TV tuners for their screens in their car? Well, your reception will probably get noticably worse. Anyone hiding any satellite radio antennas or Nav antennas inside the car? In some (not all) cases this will either significantly reduce or disrupt the signals.
The part I do agree with is that in MOST instances, this will not effect anything on the car. I just thought I would point out some things for alot of the people on here since most on here modify their cars.

Whoooaaa....1-1.5 hours for a Z? Thats kinda long IMO.

Quick Reply: VA Tint Laws