Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

NASA Track Weekend @ Summit Point 8-26/27-06!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006 | 03:21 PM
xenonk

Default NASA Track Weekend @ Summit Point 8-26/27-06!!

Registration is open!!

Track Registration is open for those who are interested in getting some learn on and some speed on. The event will be held on the Main Circuit as a two-day event (which totals at least 6 25 min driving sessions as well at least 4 hours of classroom time to help you understand how to go faster (for those that apply).

Another great thing for the new guys is that you will have an in-car instructor with you to teach you the "right line" of how to be not just safe, but to be able to know how to get around the track the fastest way. Other activities will include all levels of High Performance Driving Events, Time Trials, and ALL NASA race groups and EVEN a license evalutaion for a small number of entrants wishing to obtain their race license (you will need to contact the race director for approval first before taking the test).

Link to the NASA Mid Atlantic Main Site:
Welcome to NASA Mid Atlantic

All Registration Info Here, Hurry and sign up before all the spots are taken!:
https://www.nasaproracing.com/nasa_e.../?event_id=400

If anyone have any questions, the main site will have all the info you need to find out which group is the group that you need to run, if you have no idea, all the information about HDPEs and the definition of them are also listed on the main site.. your questions pertaining to car requirements are also listed on the main site.

See some of you at the track
Old 07-18-2006 | 04:20 PM
Kirkster

Now this is tempting...

It is like 225 for a FAT and only 315 for two days...
Old 07-18-2006 | 04:48 PM
mdracer76
Banned

damn... I wont have all the crap fixed on my car that I broke on Summit before then
Old 07-18-2006 | 04:52 PM
tommym

Hey Mike, what did you break?
Old 07-18-2006 | 05:43 PM
mdracer76
Banned

several things mechanical between the front bumper and the rear bumper

think trans, think power steering pump.

Not to metion usuall stff like Tires and brakes

Last edited by mdracer76; 07-18-2006 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2006 | 07:28 AM
xenonk

Originally Posted by Kirkster
Now this is tempting...

It is like 225 for a FAT and only 315 for two days...
yea, actually, if you are not a NASA member, you have to pay the $40/year membership, but still, at like 5 to 6 weekends a year, that just pays itself anyways.. NASA-MA runs at VIR too, so that's also a fun track to drive on. And the NASA membership allows to also participate for other regions as well if you decide to take a track weekend at various places around the country. But yes, $310~$315 a weekend is a bargain compared to just one day of FATT.

Last edited by xenonk; 07-19-2006 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-19-2006 | 07:31 AM
xenonk

Originally Posted by mdracer76
several things mechanical between the front bumper and the rear bumper

think trans, think power steering pump.

Not to metion usuall stff like Tires and brakes

Did you break something on the last time I saw you at FATT about 2 weeks ago before Hyperfest???

Usually, tires and brakes can last a bit (if you get the right tires and brakes pads). I usually just have a 2nd set of track tires and rims to use and I throw in a set of track pads for the weekend which can last about 3 weekends before I need to buy another set.. or I just drive more conservatively and not wait so late to brake and make the tires and brakes last longer.
Old 07-19-2006 | 08:09 AM
BamBam

Alright, so would it be possible to use 2 different cars for this, or would I have to use one car for this and then take the other for something like the FAT?

Mike, maybe we both sign up and you can take the Lotus, as long as you don't beat the **** out of it of course.(stay off the rev limiter, no burn outs and the usual, wreck it you bought it policy.. LOL just kidding bout that last one of course) My Z should be up and running by then, but I won't be pushing it because the engine will probably still be in the break in period.
--B
Old 07-19-2006 | 09:07 AM
xenonk

Originally Posted by BamBam
Alright, so would it be possible to use 2 different cars for this, or would I have to use one car for this and then take the other for something like the FAT?

Mike, maybe we both sign up and you can take the Lotus, as long as you don't beat the **** out of it of course.(stay off the rev limiter, no burn outs and the usual, wreck it you bought it policy.. LOL just kidding bout that last one of course) My Z should be up and running by then, but I won't be pushing it because the engine will probably still be in the break in period.
--B

huh? you lost me on the 2 car thing.

Your lotus can do both the NASA and a FATT event as I far as I know. Same goes for your Z (if it has a roll bar in it). It's best to just use one car (your lotus) for the event as you are out there to learn how to drive better. The Lotus would be the better choice to play with for the track events (it's lighter and less problems will come about that, and I dont think it needs a roll cage).. trying to drive your 3900 lbs Z isnt going to be fun, regardless of your power.. you'll find out that you are going to have a hard time steering all that weight around the corner.

NASA is a two-day event (whole weekend long with a lot of learning to go through). IMO, it's a lot more seat time and learning for a cheaper amount.

but it is possible to run one car one day, and another the next day provided that both cars have been tech inspected AND both cars have the registered numbers on the car (you must have 10" tall numbers on your car, you will get to choose your car number when you register your car for your group.. then you'll have an email confirmation saying which number you have).. please make a note to the registar that you may have 2 cars to drive due to one may or may not be able to run on the track, (hence you have two cars).. so that way they can arrange you to have the proper instructor with you to help you understand your car better.

Last edited by xenonk; 07-19-2006 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-19-2006 | 11:46 AM
BamBam

Thanks man... My rational behind the 2 car thing is I want to be able to drive the Z better especially under high speed cornering. This would to better my street driving ability.
I also know the Lotus drives completely different then the Z for obvious reasons and would like to know how to get better track times with that car. So different goals for each car. I think I would have to do this like twice or take one car for this and then sign up for a FAT at another time.
As for the rollbar. I spoke to the Operations Manager at Summit and he told me the 'hoops' behind the driver/passenger qualify for any non competing driving events as long as there was no passing or any other opportunities for car to car contact.
--B
Old 07-19-2006 | 12:30 PM
xenonk

Thanks man... My rational behind the 2 car thing is I want to be able to drive the Z better especially under high speed cornering. This would to better my street driving ability.
I also know the Lotus drives completely different then the Z for obvious reasons and would like to know how to get better track times with that car. So different goals for each car. I think I would have to do this like twice or take one car for this and then sign up for a FAT at another time.
As for the rollbar. I spoke to the Operations Manager at Summit and he told me the 'hoops' behind the driver/passenger qualify for any non competing driving events as long as there was no passing or any other opportunities for car to car contact.
--B
The good thing is that you dont need to touch the Lotus and add a lot to make it go fast, it will take a while before you can really take full advantage of it (even I wouldnt be able to bring out 50% of what it could do). What you will be able to do eventually is know how to drive ANY car because you will learn all the skills you need to be a better driver anyways, so once you sit back into the Z, you'll feel right at home in knowing what to do and how to make it go faster, it's all based on knowledge and experience that you got from learning in general. A good driver in your Lotus will probably outrun your Z if you were to drive it on the same course.. it's driver skill first, then the car, just remember that. Even if you put the good driver in your Z, it will be a struggle for the driver to manage all that weight, the power is only good for the straights to catch up to the car that dusted you in the turns.. and you're right, it's two totally different cars, and you'll soon realize that your Z will have probably more limitations than the Lotus.

IMO, driving the Z will be easy, it's driving the Lotus that will be harder.. once you get your skills up, driving the Z is a piece of cake. Dont worry about the Z, you can throw in track time on it later.

There's two more Summit Point Events with NASA this year (the August weekend and the Oct 14/15 weekend). So you should be fine to do one weekend with the Lotus, and the other with the Z).

Id say just drive the Lotus, it will be a handful/challenging as it is once you start adding the turns into the mix of driving.. but the pay-off to learn how to drive a low hp car like will surely make it all worth while once you get into a faster car.. you'll definitely have a new respect for what "speed" really means (that's why I capped myself to only driving cars for now that are in my limits, which happens to be no more than 250 whp and weighs anywhere from 2500 lbs to 3500 lbs, anything more power or less weight will be a handful for me to deal with).

The knowledge that you will learn regardless of which car you learn in will help you in BOTH street driving (as it will boost up your awareness for the car itself and your surroundings) and as well as understanding how to handle high speed cornering and track conditions. Trust me, the car differences isn't important until you decide to start some REAL racing and if you decide to build a real race car for wheel-to-wheel racing.

Right now, just sign yourself up for the event, run in the Lotus since it's still fairly stock and it will be easier to manage (give your Z a better break-in period). You'll want the lighter car when you start going down the "chute" at the main circuit at 80+ (some racers do 110?) mph in a light car vs. 80+ mph in a heavy car.. you want the car that doesnt carry that much weight and momentum.

Who knows, maybe you might not like the Z anymore for daily driving simply because it weighs a lot and start gutting some stuff out.. [but this is Brent we are talking about, he'll just go buy another lightweight toy car to play with]

so just sign up now, if you cant make the event, just cancel your spot one week before the event and you'll get your refund. These classes fill up fast because there's a lot of people wanting to learn to be a better driver.. some even want to become high performance instructors and others want to be racers. Also during the whole weekend, races will be going on, so you'll definitely be surrounded by other fast cars and fast drivers and PLENTY of instructors to give you advice not just in-car or in-the-classroom, but even during your break time. If you have the chance where you have a free break time, you can even ride with fellow instructors so you can see and learn more about the track and car control.

You can even find me and you can ride shotgun as I go around the track during one of my sessions.

Last edited by xenonk; 07-19-2006 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-19-2006 | 01:43 PM
Axelerate

I'm doing the Nasa event in a couple of weeks at VIR on the North course, so this one is a little to soon for my budget.

I'll probably attend the NASA HPDE at Summit Point in October. If I go, it will be my first time there.
Old 07-19-2006 | 02:32 PM
BamBam

Alright I signed up... for the August 26/27th class.

Mike why don't you sign up and if your car is not ready you can take mine.. This way we can BS between heats/classes.
--B
Old 07-19-2006 | 04:47 PM
xenonk

Originally Posted by Axelerate
I'm doing the Nasa event in a couple of weeks at VIR on the North course, so this one is a little to soon for my budget.

I'll probably attend the NASA HPDE at Summit Point in October. If I go, it will be my first time there.

cool, I will you see you down there. I havent decided if I want to take my competition racing license test then or that I will continue to take my level 2 instructor clinic, either way, I'll be down there instructing on Saturday and Sunday at VIR.

Summit Point is pretty fun as the back half of the track is really technical and it really seperates the talented drivers vs the normal ones.
Old 07-19-2006 | 04:48 PM
xenonk

Alright I signed up... for the August 26/27th class.

Mike why don't you sign up and if your car is not ready you can take mine.. This way we can BS between heats/classes.
--B
Mike would have to qualify for HPDE2 (since I assume you havent been on the track before so you'll have to run HPDE1) if you plan on splitting the car.
Old 07-19-2006 | 06:35 PM
BamBam

I should have two running cars at that time. He can take the 350z if his is not able to run. I agree with your earlier statement. It is best to stick to one car for the 2 days to get consistent results and improvements.
Old 07-19-2006 | 07:19 PM
xenonk

I should have two running cars at that time. He can take the 350z if his is not able to run. I agree with your earlier statement. It is best to stick to one car for the 2 days to get consistent results and improvements.

just so long as your Z passes tech. best bet is to email Rich Mitchum if Z Convertiables are allowed on track as-is. His email is tech@nasaracing.net . That's cool, I think Mike is still taking HPDE1 level classes last time I saw him on the track, so you guys would be both on the track and same classes for this NASA event.

yes, stick to one car, you are there to learn about your driving skills, the car is secondary to your learning as you will be able to apply your knowledge to ANY car later once you get your fundamentals down.. heck even I am still working on my fundamentals.. being able to feel comfortable to drift on command and hold it will be easy once you get the fundamentals down

Last edited by xenonk; 07-19-2006 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-19-2006 | 08:17 PM
mdracer76
Banned

Wholy thread!

Brent .. I appriciate the offer.. that totally rocks.. but.. alas .. I have to budget some extra $ for repairs / tires..

As for throwing around a heavy Z around summit... I'd disagree. It was hella fun, and she did just fine. The porsche and vette guys that were talking sh*t in the morning, were asking what I did to the car after the first session The yellow Z06 was giving me dirty looks every time I passed. (hehehe) [btw... I beat the driver of the Z06, not the car]

Brent I would take whichever car YOU think you would like to find out the limits of..... I personally would choose the lotus. My reasoning is: No prep and no question on if you can track her. If you need her towed from there.. it wont be as bad as your Z. Your Z has about 10,000 pounds of TV's and speakers in her.. they are going to effect the dynamics of the car... and its more to damage if you put her into the tire wall.

I can roll out with you if you want Brent.. I'll bring my camera
Old 07-20-2006 | 05:52 AM
AdamDC

I'm pretty sure I met you guys at the last FATT, I had the black Viper that was having suspension issues.

Anyhow, as much as I would like to make it I can't that weekend. I will be there for the september 8th FATT. Hopefully we can meet up. I will be back on the stock suspension by then and should be able to run hard with no problems.

BTW. the Z06 was on R compound tires, so good job passing him.

Have fun, I'm jealous.
Old 07-20-2006 | 07:11 AM
xenonk

Originally Posted by mdracer76
Wholy thread!

Brent .. I appriciate the offer.. that totally rocks.. but.. alas .. I have to budget some extra $ for repairs / tires..

As for throwing around a heavy Z around summit... I'd disagree. It was hella fun, and she did just fine. The porsche and vette guys that were talking sh*t in the morning, were asking what I did to the car after the first session The yellow Z06 was giving me dirty looks every time I passed. (hehehe) [btw... I beat the driver of the Z06, not the car]

Brent I would take whichever car YOU think you would like to find out the limits of..... I personally would choose the lotus. My reasoning is: No prep and no question on if you can track her. If you need her towed from there.. it wont be as bad as your Z. Your Z has about 10,000 pounds of TV's and speakers in her.. they are going to effect the dynamics of the car... and its more to damage if you put her into the tire wall.

Oh dont get me wrong, Group 1/HPDE 1 will have a lot of thrill that as there's things to learn about driving in ANY car, and driving everything (from rental cars to high power exotics) is FUN!! Everyone is fairly new in HPDE1/Group 1 as everyone is out there learning how to drive fast, I remember the days when I use to pass vettes, lambos, 911s, and other fast cars in my slow WRX.. but as the skills add up and you start growing into the car, that's when the car starts to shine.

(Heck I still drive around a 3500~3700 lbs sedan around the track and it's still fun passing a few faster cars, but the weight will wear down on the car, but it's still FUN!)

Your proof of the brakes and tires wearing out is a result of the extra weight (that's why in World Challenge Cars, the more podium places you win, the more "weight points" you get as it's there to even out the field for close racing.. the extra weight will take a toll in your car as the race goes on), Here's a pic of the extra "+70" lbs ballast added to Cunningham's car [weight added as indicated on the windshield]:

70 lbs may not seem much, but it will take its toll, it can go as high as +250 lbs, same goes for having +180 lbs average passenger in the car too Once you get into Group 3, you'll notice that your car is a lot faster and handles better just because you dont have an instructor with you in the car

Here's a picture of my tires from that Summit Point weekend fun (3 days worth, 10 sessions, so that's about 200 mins on the track, and passenger ride alongs).. I thought the tires could have lasted 2 more weekends after it, but I guess with my "soft" suspension that the inside tires (since Summit Point is clockwise) started to lift and spin in the air and started to wear quickly:

The lighter car will be the better one to drive, there's no doubt about that.. as for Brent's choice that's up to him, but if I were him, I'll take the Lotus as it can sustain longer periods of use and less toll on the car.. tires and brakes will last longer than on the Z (and cheaper to replace).

Last edited by xenonk; 07-20-2006 at 07:30 AM.

Quick Reply: NASA Track Weekend @ Summit Point 8-26/27-06!!