Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Columbia/Baltimore crew, need your help

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 03:04 PM
MrKaira
Really MrZ31

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Columbia/Baltimore crew, need your help

I'm getting married in June, and will start working (full time) then too. My wife-to-be is applying to law school, and thinks there is a strong chance she will get into University of Baltimore Law School.

Where are some good places to live? We will be renting, don't have enough for a down payment on a house so about $1200 a month will be the max. We've found a couple nice places (or it looks nice on the internet) but what neighborhoods should we avoid? I've only been to Columbia once and Baltimore a couple times, so I don't know my way around that much.

Any advice on a good place to look? Ideally we'd like a place under $1000 a month but still nice enough that I won't wake up to my Z vandalized

Also if anyone know's a good job for any type of writing I could apply for let me know, I'm applying with Booz Allen Hamilton in Herndon, but that is pretty far away and I am sure traffic will suck on that commute.

Thanks guys, hopefully I'll be up there this summer!

Mike
Old 02-27-2007, 03:17 PM
Integrity
Banned

My girlfriend used to live at The Bluffs at Hawthorn in Columbia. Neighborhood was ok, not great, but not so bad that I worried about my car. Rent for her two bedroom one bath was right about $900 a month.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:26 PM
bdrose

columbia is nice..but expensive..and the traffic commuting to UB and columbia isnt good either...ur on pt with the Herndon..that will sucks ***!!!!!

Canton and downtown Balto is expensive and not good for the Z...i would maybe check out White Marsh...not as pricey as columbia..easy access to 95 and 695
Old 02-27-2007, 03:31 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Baltimore is a very divergent city. You will find a ghetto neighborhood, and next door $500,000 condos.

I think that $1,000 will be fine. You can live inside the city, or commute from the county. Many people work or go to school in the city and commute.

There are several major highways in and out of the city that make commute time realistic. I advise that you spend some time in the area during rush hours. This will give you an idea about how difficult or easy it will be to commute from one place to another.

Generally you get what you pay for. Most likely you will like a $1,000 neighborhood, but avoid a $500 neighborhood.

Grocery stores have free apartment hunting magazines. That is a good place to start. You can also check google for Baltimore apartments.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:25 PM
05-Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Columbia to Herndon would be painful...I would avoid that.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:46 PM
MrKaira
Really MrZ31

would there be a more in between place for herndon? i mean, i'm not 100% positive I will even get an interview (it's not an entry level, and i'm not sure that my experience will be enough) so its not set in stone for herndon.

has anyone ever heard of Canterbury Apartments? the prices are good, the facilities look nice, the apartments are nice too. They are at the northeast section of where 95 and 695 intersect, right next to "Franklin Square Hospitol Center"

Sorry for being a balt. newb lol
Old 02-27-2007, 04:49 PM
widebody350

Booz Allen Hamilton has a Tyson's office. traffic would still suck but you save the other 20 minutes w/ light traffic 45 w/ heavy traffic from Tyson's to Herndon.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:54 PM
bonusfrag

I live actually about a 4 min walk from UB on St. Paul Street. My GF and I live in the Mt. Vernon neighborhood, right in mid-town baltimore. It is a very nice area. It is a largely a gay neighborhood. I don't know what your personal philosophy is on that. But I thought I let you know you. You may also want to look into Charles Village, that's by Johns Hopkins, also a nice area. If you want to be a bit further out from the city. I would try Mt. Washington. It's just north of the city, right on the county line. I used to live in Bonnie Ridge apartments in Mt. Washington. $1200 should be quite enough to get a 2 Br, 900-1000 sq ft apartment there.

http://www.homeproperties.com/apartm...PropertyId=221

Last edited by bonusfrag; 02-27-2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:23 PM
bdrose

Originally Posted by mrpratt
would there be a more in between place for herndon? i mean, i'm not 100% positive I will even get an interview (it's not an entry level, and i'm not sure that my experience will be enough) so its not set in stone for herndon.

has anyone ever heard of Canterbury Apartments? the prices are good, the facilities look nice, the apartments are nice too. They are at the northeast section of where 95 and 695 intersect, right next to "Franklin Square Hospitol Center"

Sorry for being a balt. newb lol
canterbury is not bad....i have a couple friends that live there...cambridge court is better just down the rd..but is prob a lil bit more
Old 02-27-2007, 05:31 PM
farobaba

try Laurel... u'd find much better appartments there, but look under howard county not PG county
Old 02-27-2007, 06:20 PM
Kirkster

Check with Integrity for the laurel angle... And it is a bit closer than columbia (pretty much half way between DC and Balt...
Old 02-27-2007, 07:01 PM
MrKaira
Really MrZ31

dude i like bonnie ridge, plus thats "12 minutes" according to google maps to UB. Now I just gotta find a job lol
Old 02-27-2007, 07:09 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Hey mrpratt, I actually work for Booz Allen Hamilton at their headquater in McLean, VA. Trust me.. you don't want to drive from Baltimore to McLean, VA every morning. Traffic is insane in this area. There're actually Booz Allen offices in Maryland. One is in Columbia(They call it Annapolis Junction area), another one is in Linthicum near BWI Airport. I believe there's one more in Gaithersburg/Germantown area. But you should look into jobs in Columbia and Linthicum. In terms of area to live, Columbia is definitely a nice place. Places like Severn, Annapolis are good too. But they might be a bit far for your wife to get to school. Let me know if you need to know anything about Booz or the area. I actually used to work in Columbia myself. I know the area pretty well.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:11 AM
MasterRacer

I'm getting married in June, and will start working (full time) then too. My wife-to-be is applying to law school, and thinks there is a strong chance she will get into University of Baltimore Law School.

Where are some good places to live? We will be renting, don't have enough for a down payment on a house so about $1200 a month will be the max. We've found a couple nice places (or it looks nice on the internet) but what neighborhoods should we avoid? I've only been to Columbia once and Baltimore a couple times, so I don't know my way around that much.

Any advice on a good place to look? Ideally we'd like a place under $1000 a month but still nice enough that I won't wake up to my Z vandalized

Also if anyone know's a good job for any type of writing I could apply for let me know, I'm applying with Booz Allen Hamilton in Herndon, but that is pretty far away and I am sure traffic will suck on that commute.

Thanks guys, hopefully I'll be up there this summer!

Mike

Hey dude congrats on the soon to be wedding, Just wanted to let you know that Iam in the whole process of purchasing a home for myself here in a few months and lemme tell you bro, look into ACORN housing with bank of america. Essentially you go to a seminar in DC or other location and then complete a one on one credit review with one of the volunteers working there. After that you qualify with BankOfAmerica for a rate of 5.87 on a 40 year loan, the rate does NOT change for the life of the loan and its 0 money down....100% financed. I was shocked when I found out about it since I dont have great credit I was a bit worried but I found out they dont take the credit score into consideration. They only want to see ontime payment for the last year......ITS CRAZY good man!!! Hit me up for more info if you need it, I hope this helps ya!
Old 02-28-2007, 08:15 AM
MrKaira
Really MrZ31

Originally Posted by MasterRacer
Hey dude congrats on the soon to be wedding, Just wanted to let you know that Iam in the whole process of purchasing a home for myself here in a few months and lemme tell you bro, look into ACORN housing with bank of america. Essentially you go to a seminar in DC or other location and then complete a one on one credit review with one of the volunteers working there. After that you qualify with BankOfAmerica for a rate of 5.87 on a 40 year loan, the rate does NOT change for the life of the loan and its 0 money down....100% financed. I was shocked when I found out about it since I dont have great credit I was a bit worried but I found out they dont take the credit score into consideration. They only want to see ontime payment for the last year......ITS CRAZY good man!!! Hit me up for more info if you need it, I hope this helps ya!
that sounds awesome, I will definitely look into that. It sounds too good to be true though. What's the catch? Late payment fine I would think?
Old 02-28-2007, 08:17 AM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

I would say Perry Hall or Whitemarsh area would be good, close to I-95, I-83, and 695. you have a mall right there, the avenue (shopping & food) lots of places really close by. I'm in Abingdon and it's also really close to I-95 and also rte. 1 there are apartments as well as townhomes around $1200 a month rent in both of those areas.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:20 AM
MasterRacer

that sounds awesome, I will definitely look into that. It sounds too good to be true though. What's the catch? Late payment fine I would think?

There is no catch, I thought the same thing. I work with alot of Govt employees and I got a referal from one of my friends here so I called
the guy at bank o america and he told me what was required and after I
turned in the w2s, paystubs and all that stuff he then gave me the number
to call and make the appointment for the class here in DC. The class was like 2 and half hours long and there was a loan officer from Bank o America that was there to tell us about the program, in his own words "It's the best loan offer out there." He has been doing this for 30 years and he swears he has never seen such a program and that its great. The 1st 10 years are interest only btw I forgot to mention that, also there is no Mortgage insurance that is normal for most loans. The agency ACORN is a non profit
gig. Let me know if you want more info and Ill see if I can get you more information!!!!!
Old 02-28-2007, 08:54 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by MasterRacer
There is no catch, I thought the same thing. I work with alot of Govt employees and I got a referal from one of my friends here so I called
the guy at bank o america and he told me what was required and after I
turned in the w2s, paystubs and all that stuff he then gave me the number
to call and make the appointment for the class here in DC. The class was like 2 and half hours long and there was a loan officer from Bank o America that was there to tell us about the program, in his own words "It's the best loan offer out there." He has been doing this for 30 years and he swears he has never seen such a program and that its great. The 1st 10 years are interest only btw I forgot to mention that, also there is no Mortgage insurance that is normal for most loans. The agency ACORN is a non profit
gig. Let me know if you want more info and Ill see if I can get you more information!!!!!
Dude! That sounds soooooo good! I'm going to look into that. Maybe I'll be a homeowner next month because of your info!
Old 02-28-2007, 09:15 AM
MasterRacer

Originally Posted by bb1314
Dude! That sounds soooooo good! I'm going to look into that. Maybe I'll be a homeowner next month because of your info!

lol I was surprised at the amount of people that were in that tiny lil class room. Its for 1st time home buyers but there definition of 1st time home buyers is anyone who is buying property who doesnt currently own any.
Yeah I was a bit surprised about it tooo, Ill see bout getting this guys number and you guys can speak with him. I will let you guys know how it goes as Iam still awaiting for my approval letter to let me know how much I officially qualify for and then the fun starts
Old 03-01-2007, 07:51 AM
2005fair

I live in white marsh and would recommend it highly. 2 min drive from 95 and 695 gets you anywhere in the county in 20-30 min. As mentioned before mall and avenue right there is great. Parkville and Perry hall have alota nice apartmens.

Columbia is a bit overpriced but a very nice area, apartments go for 1,500 a month from what i've heard. Canton is nice but unless you want a housemate or 2, 1000/month will force you to live closer to the ghetto area near paterson park (i've nearly been mugged and know a girl that was mugged/assualted a block off of paterson).

Federal hill is ok, similar to canton but parking is worse and its more of a 22-28ish bar fly crowd that live in the area(aka a drunk driver would eventualy side swipe your Z)

No offense to anyone living in the areas but i would stay away from essex/dundalk/woodlawn.

just my personal opions on the baltimore area.

Quick Reply: Columbia/Baltimore crew, need your help