Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Is Precision Auto...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Cube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Update! Important!

I changed out my rims to my OZ's and I made SURE I torqued the lugs down. I started gettin some crazy sounds and vibration, checked everything out, had a little play on the driver's side... some grease from the driver's side boot so I thought I had some bearing damage in the least.

Long story short, it was the LUGS AGAIN. My dumb *** didn't think to check the lugs when I had the front end lifted, I just checked them as my first suspect with all 4 wheels on the ground.

Took it to Big Al's and they tightened them up and not a problem. The grease was from a C-clamp they tightened down.

He said I'm using the wrong lugs... I guess this is just one more of the places the G and the FX aren't similar?

Edit: Getting steel Nismo lugs:

Last edited by Cube; 07-17-2007 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Cube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Precision Auto is supposedly done for, Ross is either already out or isn't staying open much longer so I've heard.

A front drive axle fell off at the flange due to improper bolts. I've noticed some shady crap going on with parts used and corners cut such as no exhaust gaskets that I can see on either side of the test pipes, a bolt or nut missing here and there... but this takes the cake.

I made it home thankfully, and at the last speed bump in the parking lot, I heard a loud thunk. I start going forward after the speed bump and it's clunkin around real bad near the front left wheel.

I pull in and look and I see this:

(not from THIS angle, of course)

5 of the bolts backed out, 1 sheared off into the flange.

3 of 5 were MIA, the 2 I found scattered in the parking lot were random bolts thrown in that happened to have the right threading.

Axle grease was everywhere down there and the boot was pulled back. The bolts were threaded the entire length, when they're only supposed to be half-threaded on the OEMs. This extra threading allowed for the torque to smash threads in the half that WASN'T supposed to be threaded and caused more and more play, or slop. The slop built up until it was weak enough to shear and others back out.

The bolts were on back order, I ordered a new shaft that enters the front diff (the part that has a sheared bolt stuck in it), and $340/1month later, it's all arriving tomorrow.

Thanks for informing me $10 worth of bolts and washers were missing Ross!

Oh yeah, and the flopping drive axle smashed an air conditioner sensor's clip clean off, you can see it dangling...