Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Beware of this MD cop

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008 | 04:15 PM
Pun1sh3RZ

Default Beware of this MD cop

OP- Just because of the car i drive, does that give the officer the right to search my engine bay? Is my car or myself being profiled as a streetracer? I do not street race.

If the officer asks me to pop the hood, and I do not give consent for him to search my car, what are the consequences of saying no to consent? Is a warrant required for an officer to search my car or will the officer have the car towed if i say no

MD Cop-Just as an FYI I profile your POS rice rocket and YES I would have you pop the hood. It is not a search in MD to have you pop the hood. I am allowed by MD law once I have my PC for a stop to conduct a FULL vehicle inspection on the side of the road to include driving it for a breif distance if I so choose to. However thats a bit much. Poping the hood looking for the turbo or the NOS tubes is plenty enough for me.

If you refuse? Then you get to go to jail for failure to obay a lawful order and I yank you through the vent window, you go to jail, and I impound your car......after I inspect it.
http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73003

Cliffnotes: OP drives an evo and is aggrevated by getting constantly "inspected" under the hood in SoCal.
Old 06-23-2008 | 04:19 PM
Eric the Ricer
Banned

Well, he's right
Old 06-23-2008 | 04:20 PM
Pun1sh3RZ

I know NOS is banned from Ocean city, MD but wasn't sure about the rest of the area. And a turbo...? WRX/EVO/etc... wtf..
Old 06-23-2008 | 04:28 PM
jwillard0201

Is just one more reason I wouldnt live in California. Not that other states dont go off probable cause, California takes it to the extreme.

There is a law firm here in Orlando that has some ad about if you are pulled over and they want to search your vehicle...and you dont want to consent...ask for your lawyer. You more than likely are going to jail but stand up for what you believe in. Is it worth what you will be losing as far as work, school...whatever...only you can be the judge.

Most cops know people arent going to go this route...and the people just obey. I personally dont think they should be able to pull anyone over unless they see them committing a crime/violation. Then and only then should they be allowed to search. Not just because you drive the same kind of car.
Old 06-23-2008 | 04:43 PM
mdracer76
Banned

Hate to say.. but MD_cop is totally within the law to do what he states. Most cops wont go that far unless they need to issue attitude adjustment violations.
Old 06-23-2008 | 04:44 PM
Pun1sh3RZ

right but you know this perticular cop is the one we all fear for being an a$$
Old 06-23-2008 | 04:45 PM
108NismoZ

that crap just makes me angry!! i heard today one of the guys in the detail shop said he knows somebody who got pulled over and got in trouble for debadging his honda. officer said he couldn't identify the vehicle. well that is obsurd because legally that's bs. as far as i know the md state safety guidelines don't incorporate the exterior badging of the vehicle.
Old 06-23-2008 | 05:03 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

I hate to tell you but nos is illegall in MD cause off the 2 firefighters killed in a explosion in AA county a few years back.
Old 06-23-2008 | 05:08 PM
Pun1sh3RZ

Ok and what about turbos?
Old 06-23-2008 | 05:12 PM
Eric the Ricer
Banned

More than likely, any aftermarket parts are illegal
Old 06-23-2008 | 05:17 PM
SC 350Z

Originally Posted by Eric the Ricer
More than likely, any aftermarket parts are illegal
they are i have first hand experince i was going to be fined $750 total by this friday if i didnt have the turbo kit off and the car back to stock for an inspection by the md state trooper,today when i took it to get inspected they put it on the lift and even t ook the cats off to make sure they wasnt gutted and when they seen the shortram i had for my intake the cops face instantly he said wtf i told you stock and i said bud i bought the car from the dealership like this the way it sits is how i bought it 3 years ago luckly he let me slide
Old 06-23-2008 | 05:20 PM
Pun1sh3RZ

But your setup was smoking so bad
Old 06-23-2008 | 05:22 PM
108NismoZ

we let intakes and exhausts on cars all the time. md state inspection (atleast) guidelines don't have any stipulations in the book regaurding that. i'll have to ask one of my inspectors in the morning. trd for example makes aftermarket bolt on's for cars especially one being a supercharger so they can't discriminate on the one's that are other brands. you should've asked to see a copy of that law regaurding the turbo charger.
Old 06-23-2008 | 05:27 PM
SC 350Z

Originally Posted by Pun1sh3RZ
But your setup was smoking so bad
not at the time i was pulled over it smoked when i rolled into it but it was black smoke from runnin rich he pulled me over for the exhaust and 10 mph over the limit then conducted the search poped the hood and boom theres the turbo he said uhuh whats this?
Old 06-23-2008 | 05:28 PM
SC 350Z

Originally Posted by 108NismoZ
we let intakes and exhausts on cars all the time. md state inspection (atleast) guidelines don't have any stipulations in the book regaurding that. i'll have to ask one of my inspectors in the morning. trd for example makes aftermarket bolt on's for cars especially one being a supercharger so they can't discriminate on the one's that are other brands. you should've asked to see a copy of that law regaurding the turbo charger.
true i should have but i wasnt arguing he said he would have the charge dropped if i complyd to having it back to stock so i did
Old 06-23-2008 | 05:56 PM
SmokerZ
I Like Everyone

i parked in parking space completely crooked late at night just because i was not going to be there long. a neighbor had called the police because they did not recognize my vehicle.
once the police came from all directions, driving across a church lawn with flashlights, search lights on and competely surrounding my car, i walked over and talked for a bit...
after a few minutes i get asked to open my trunk to just to SEE the rear bar, open the hood just take a PEEK at what it comes with stock and to turn my wheels to see the tread pattern. it was a little ridiculous but no real harm done.
Old 06-23-2008 | 07:14 PM
pmohr

I've got one thing to say about that thread:

Originally Posted by VA Dutch @ officers.com
If speed is in your blood, try buying a "sleeper" vehicle - such as V6 Maxima
Old 06-23-2008 | 07:20 PM
surfcity40

Every state has laws relating to aftermarket parts. One can't expect the police to ignore the laws. If there is a law in your state that doesn't allow turbos, seeing an intercooler is "probable cause" to pop the hood, as is an aftermarket muffler that creates a potential noise violation, etc. The cop is merely doing his job.
Old 06-23-2008 | 07:42 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

<---selling parts because of this one moron cop
Old 06-23-2008 | 07:45 PM
350Ricky
I like Rice

Originally Posted by Alberto
<---selling parts because of this one moron cop

whats in the bag of goodies?

Quick Reply: Beware of this MD cop