Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

The state inspector barely looked at my car

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 06:25 AM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chen
Anything on the windshield is illegal....except for the little strip, which legal is down 4in.
not in MD here its down to the ansi marker if there is no marker then its 4" some cars or trucks its more.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:46 AM
Chen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by idrive_MD
MD state police do not have the right to pull you over soley for dark tint anymore, they can pull you over for "speeding" or whatever and then issue you a fix-it-ticket for the tint at which point you'll have to get it metered and removed etc.
What about Harford county police? They pulled my dad over for dark tint. He drives slower than a 80 year old grandma.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:42 AM
ajcool2

I've gotten pulled over plenty of times just for my tint in md. It just depends on where you live how often you get pulled over for it. The police around my way arent that busy so they look for cars with iilegal lights, tint and any other mods so they wont fall asleep in thier cars.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:03 AM
CH³NO²
Banned

Originally Posted by idrive_MD
MD state police do not have the right to pull you over soley for dark tint anymore, they can pull you over for "speeding" or whatever and then issue you a fix-it-ticket for the tint at which point you'll have to get it metered and removed etc.
I'm not sure what the law is in VA, but both tickets I got I was pulled soley for the tint issue. I guess I could have gone to court and tested this, but for $90 it wasn't really worth my time.

I also have noticed that County and City cops don't give a **** about the tint. I have sat next to a county/city cop many times at a stoplight and he's just staring at me thru my 20%.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Driven1
Professional

To the OP. the reason is most likely that the car is still pretty new so there was no need to really inspect the "safety" of it. It happens quite a bit.

As far as tint....yes technically they can't pull you over just for that...but when are you actually driving where there is NOTHING else they can pull you over for? Most likely....never.

The laws....

VA.... 50% VLT or lighter on the driver and passenger windows and no darker than 35% VLT on the rear windos (side or back).

MD.... no darker than 35% VLT on all windows.

Edit: Having your windshield FULLY tinted is more than just a fine in both states fyi. And the fines associated with it can exceed $500.

MD can make you take it off and get it inspected by an officer. VA can not...its a mere non moving violation and fine. In MD you can get a "sticker" showing the approved measured VLT is within the legal limit and no one can say anything. In BOTH states doctors notes for light sensitivity are accepted to be exempt. Just expect to get harassed a little bit still.

I used to tint windows and have gotten well over 25 of these. I don't argue or get pissed. I know my tint is darker than the legal limit on all my vehicles and Im willing to accept the minor fine from time to time. Atleast in VA they can't make you take it off.

A few things to help you out from getting these tint tix. When pulled over open ALL possible windows and turn on your interior lights. Letting light in makes the tint appear lighter than it actually is.

Last edited by Driven1; 01-07-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Chen

Originally Posted by Driven1
A few things to help you out from getting these tint tix. When pulled over open ALL possible windows and turn on your interior lights. Letting light in makes the tint appear lighter than it actually is.
Thiss!
Old 01-07-2010, 02:12 PM
CH³NO²
Banned

Originally Posted by Driven1

I don't think that will make a bit of difference when they pull out the meter. I've had my windows metered in mid day bright sunshine and still failed.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 20% all the way around and nothing on my windshield on my Z and every time i have been pulled over has been at night and for speeding I have always just rolled down all my windows and *knock on wood* have not gotten any ticket yet ( i am on PBJ right now though )

now my truck... 20% all the way around and 50% on the windshield but i have never been pulled over in that at all
Old 01-07-2010, 02:44 PM
CH³NO²
Banned

I now have 35% on sides and 20% on rear. That will still get me a ticket in VA but I keep my eyes peeled

Old 01-07-2010, 02:56 PM
idrive_MD

Originally Posted by Chen
What about Harford county police? They pulled my dad over for dark tint. He drives slower than a 80 year old grandma.
county police might have a different policy for tint. i just recall seeing the sun article posted at the local tuner shop like it was the best news ever.

in your dads case, it must be obviously illegal and well local police loving pulling people over for stupid ****.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:38 AM
Driven1
Professional

Originally Posted by CH³NO²
I don't think that will make a bit of difference when they pull out the meter. I've had my windows metered in mid day bright sunshine and still failed.
Well that's pretty much common sense. If they pull a meter....it is what it is....you can't magically change the VLT regardless of the external factors/elements.

I was referring to trying to prevent them from questioning it or metering it. Unless they have nothing better to do...as long as they can see what is going on in the car and don't become nervous or antsy b/c they can't see, they more often than not will not question it as you have given them no reason for concern (which is the main reason the tint laws exist). I could easily make a legally tinted car look from the exterior illegal by changing/removing the interior light and visa versa....you can make a 20% film look like 35% or lighter by adding light.

Last edited by Driven1; 01-11-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:51 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

They literally do not give a f*ck in South Carolina. Its awesome.