Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Z run 13.88

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 01:12 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by typeR
you're gonna trap higher with a bad 60 well with wheel spin not if you just didnt floor it...im guessing he was spinning them a bit...dont sell short the 100 octane yet ...what is the compression of the Z?

The spinning the tires to a better trap speed is a load of BS...I've been to the track MANY times...and trap very consistantly through out the night with all different 60 fts....

case in point...my best TRAP and 60ft in my maxima was on the same run....

As for 100 octane...the Zs motor has 10.3:1 compression....thats a bit low for 100 octane...plus again the ECU is TUNED for 91-93 octane...not 100.
Old 02-23-2003, 03:21 PM
typeR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
The spinning the tires to a better trap speed is a load of BS...I've been to the track MANY times...and trap very consistantly through out the night with all different 60 fts....

case in point...my best TRAP and 60ft in my maxima was on the same run....

As for 100 octane...the Zs motor has 10.3:1 compression....thats a bit low for 100 octane...plus again the ECU is TUNED for 91-93 octane...not 100.
im not sure if you hear yourself sometimes but you come off very aggressive and adverserial...im only here because im interested in fast cars ...it's real simple and you could liken my explaination to a higher stall torque convertor...because you spin..you arent getting down the track very fast, but your engine is getting into a higher horsepower range ... basically you'll spend more time at higher HP is why almost always a spinning 60' will result in a higher trap...aLSO ...you can look at the WRX this car will trap at like 100MPH to a 13.6 1/4...it was because of the big 60 that the lightweight AWD launch nets...more on compression and 100 oct.later....it's detonation where ill be speaking of...

Last edited by typeR; 02-23-2003 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2003, 03:57 PM
typeR

DIRECT IGNITION SYSTEM/KNOCK CONTROL
Proper ignition spark timing is critical to engine performance and emission control. This timing constantly changes depending on many factors. If there is too little spark advance for the conditions, then efficiency suffers; if there is too much spark advance, then knocking (or pinging) can result in overheating and engine damage.

The CL features a knock-control system to ensure a properly timed spark. Based on a centrally positioned sensor in the block that "hears" the first traces of knocking, the ignition timing is advanced to the point of peak efficiency, but not beyond, even if fuel quality is less than the specified premium unleaded. This fine spark control allows the CL to operate safely and more efficiently with greater spark advance than its predecessor. The ignition system also features compact direct ignition coil units positioned directly in the spark plug access bores.
now granted this is my engine not the Z's but i'd guess that much of the technology that it takes to get a 6 cylinder engine to produce this kind of HP and still maintain reasonable MPG is gonna revolve around knock and an ability to run lean at times...if your car does see knock ,because of head temps,or pre detonation of any kind 100+ may help...it probablly does and it probablly will....matter of fact one of the mags did a test with 100 oct.(and if i remember it was the same issue where they bolted on an aftermarket exhaust and lost power)and gained some power with the hi test

Last edited by typeR; 02-23-2003 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-23-2003, 04:38 PM
typeR

sportcompact car got 5 hp and 2 lb.ft out of 100
Attached Thumbnails Z run 13.88-zdyno100.jpg  
Old 02-23-2003, 05:29 PM
mrrsx350z

sportcompact was the reason i use 100 octane, maybe i should beleave ever thing i read. But then again i got the best run with that setup up. But if it not good for the car then I shouldn't put 100 octane. Maybe I'll try 93 instead.
Old 02-23-2003, 05:59 PM
typeR

Originally posted by mrrsx350z
sportcompact was the reason i use 100 octane, maybe i should beleave ever thing i read. But then again i got the best run with that setup up. But if it not good for the car then I shouldn't put 100 octane. Maybe I'll try 93 instead.
it's not that it's not good for the car octane is just a fuels resistance to detonate from compression...what some are trying to say is that you could lose performance if you were to use it..like if you were to use 85 octane...i believe there may be some advantage to the higher octane gas in these high performance high compression engines.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:46 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

I can understand a LITTLE about a tq converter...but the basic fact is you're still going the same distance spinning or hooking. Besides it doesn't matter how much hp you're making if you are spinning...you still won't go any faster.

I don't know what a WRX has to do with this....you were talking about spinning tires...and trap speeds, not AWD launchs, trap speeds, and E.T.s.

I come off as agressive?? I simply stated a WELL know fact about octane and also stated my opinion based on personal experience at the drag strip.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:09 PM
D'oh

Maybe it was when you said that "spining the tires ....is a load of BS."

You may be correct, but most people would not consider that type of comment in a friendly manner. Those of us who don't know you personally can get a misleading impression about what you are trying to say.

I guess the rest of us could say that "thinking the Z motor has too low of a CR for 100 octane is sheer stupidity". However, another way to say it without starting shi*t would be to simply say, "At least one dyno has shown HP improvents on the Z when run at 100 octane."

Anyway, I'm just saying that since none of us can hear your tone when you type stuff, we may be overly sensitive to things like CAPSLOCK , terms like BS, and so on. Just something to keep in mind.

-D'oh!
Old 02-23-2003, 09:39 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by D'oh
Maybe it was when you said that "spining the tires ....is a load of BS."

You may be correct, but most people would not consider that type of comment in a friendly manner. Those of us who don't know you personally can get a misleading impression about what you are trying to say.

I guess the rest of us could say that "thinking the Z motor has too low of a CR for 100 octane is sheer stupidity". However, another way to say it without starting shi*t would be to simply say, "At least one dyno has shown HP improvents on the Z when run at 100 octane."

Anyway, I'm just saying that since none of us can hear your tone when you type stuff, we may be overly sensitive to things like CAPSLOCK , terms like BS, and so on. Just something to keep in mind.

-D'oh!
I'm sorry if I hurt anyones feelings...I didn't know people were that sensitive on here....
I use CAPSLOCK to emphasize something...not to be "mean"

and I also use the term BS very lightly...sorry if it offends.
Old 02-24-2003, 04:14 AM
MI_SS_IL

Originally posted by mrrsx350z
If reaction time is not a factor what can I do to improve my 1/4 and trap speec?
The easiest way to improve your e.t. is to get a better launch (like everyone else has said). There are many tricks you can try for this. Everything from letting air out of the rear tires to deep staging the car to just learning how to get to full throttle as quickly as possible without getting the tires spinning. A lot of it depends on track prep too. It's always good to stage right after a car that had a big set of slicks on it and did a giant burnout. Make sure you avoid the water box if you're on street tires. Lots of little things. Improving trap speed is basically adding more power to the car which means mods and money (or you can try running in colder weather which may help you a little), but it's a lot easier to launch better than to start getting a better e.t. by modding.

Your 2.4 60' times leaves you a lot of room for improvement. Your mph seems a little low to me for your 60' time and your e.t.. Are you sure you're not letting off the throttle before the trap speed line? This is a common thing to do. The reason I say this is because your 9.1 in the 1/8 isn't a great e.t. (which comes from your 2.4 launch) but you're running almost 83mph which is quite good ... that 83mph turns into a 102 by the 1/4. I think you should be making a little more than that based on your 1/8 trap speed. Your power seems to be dying off at the top for some reason.

Chris
Old 02-24-2003, 04:26 AM
typeR

I can understand a LITTLE about a tq converter...but the basic fact is you're still going the same distance spinning or hooking. Besides it doesn't matter how much hp you're making if you are spinning...you still won't go any faster.

I don't know what a WRX has to do with this....you were talking about spinning tires...and trap speeds, not AWD launchs, trap speeds, and E.T.s.

I come off as agressive?? I simply stated a WELL know fact about octane and also stated my opinion based on personal experience at the drag strip.
looking at the dyno for the Z above notice how quickly HP climbs...so...you start out at an idle or lets say a 2500 rpm launch how many feet have gone by with good traction before you get to 6K rpms? near peak HP...now same run instead you spin at launch far fewer feet of the track have been used before the car reaches 6K this is bad for ET but when you finally hook you are in a more powerful part of your rev range and therefore you'll make more MPH...the AWD WRX thing is just another example of getting out of the hole good they dont spin much at all...can pull a 1.6 60'ft and do the 1/4 in 13.6 @ 100 a very low mph...from a roll theyre not that fast but they can put 2-4 cars on you out of the box...this is where there et is made

Last edited by typeR; 02-24-2003 at 04:30 AM.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:46 AM
BigBadBuford

The trap speed is more or less independent of your E.T. Trap speed has more to do with HP as E.T. has more to do with traction. If you have a better E.T. you may have a higher trap speed, but it will most likely be very close to your trap speed with a bad 60'. I'm surprised you only got a 2.4 60' on drag radials, but I am also surprised you ran a 13.88 with a 2.4 60'. I'm thinking you must have gotten a factory freak or something, you should dyno your car and see how much power it is making. A rule of thumb is that every .1 you knock off your 60' is .2 on your E.T. so if you ran a 2.0 60' which is entirely possible on drag radials, you should be running a 13.4 or better. A 103 mph trap speed is theoretically good for 12s, so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to hit a mid 13 with more practice.
When you try to launch, definitely heat up the Nittos. I would pull in the water, spin them lightly, then pull out of the water and really heat them up. I would start out around 25 psi in the tires and go down from there. I would probably launch around 3500 feathering the clutch out of the hole, and if it bogs launch higher.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:03 AM
MI_SS_IL

Originally posted by BigBadBuford
I am also surprised you ran a 13.88 with a 2.4 60'. I'm thinking you must have gotten a factory freak or something
He's not stock. He says he has a DV Cam or something. What will this do for his car?

How many runs did you get? I'd bet money that if you only got 1 or 2 that the next time you go back you'll be running low 13's with some more launching practice.

Good luck It's nice to see the Z's going to the track and getting some real numbers. I can't wait to see some in the spring. Also nice to see the cars being modded already.

Chris
Old 02-24-2003, 07:08 AM
BigBadBuford

A DV Cam is a digital video camera, not a mod for the car. I am pretty sure his only mod is a set of Nittos.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:20 AM
MI_SS_IL

Originally posted by BigBadBuford
A DV Cam is a digital video camera, not a mod for the car. I am pretty sure his only mod is a set of Nittos.

Son of a ... I thought he had a aftermarket cam/cams in his car. I'm going to have to agree with your factory freak assessment then. 2.4 60' and running a 13.8? Aren't most 350Z owners running like a 14 flat with a 2.0-2.1 60' area or so? Maybe the timing equipment was off. His e.t. and mph sound about right, but the 60' doesn't make any sense.

Chris
Old 02-24-2003, 08:21 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by typeR
looking at the dyno for the Z above notice how quickly HP climbs...so...you start out at an idle or lets say a 2500 rpm launch how many feet have gone by with good traction before you get to 6K rpms? near peak HP...now same run instead you spin at launch far fewer feet of the track have been used before the car reaches 6K this is bad for ET but when you finally hook you are in a more powerful part of your rev range and therefore you'll make more MPH...the AWD WRX thing is just another example of getting out of the hole good they dont spin much at all...can pull a 1.6 60'ft and do the 1/4 in 13.6 @ 100 a very low mph...from a roll theyre not that fast but they can put 2-4 cars on you out of the box...this is where there et is made
ok...your theory can make sense on paper (or on screen ), but I just don't see it happening in the real world.

EXAMPLE From the real world:

My maxima had a very similar power band to the Z (less hp and tq of course), and on my best run, with a 2.14 60' I didn't get one bit of wheelspin at all. I came off the line at about 2500 doing a REALLY quick slip of the clutch (almost a drop). I ended up running my best trap speed of the day hooking straight off the line instead of spinning.

Explain that....

BTW - every other run I trapped almost the same (high 96s), with 60's ranging from 2.2-2.4 and lots of wheel spin and hop...to just a little. Actually looking at my timeslips now, I only trapped 95.89mph on my crazy wheelspin 2.4 60' (first run of the day), and on two other runs I trapped an identical 96.85mph with much different 60ft times.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:05 AM
sukkoi19

I dont think he had many mods, but he had significant weight reduction.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:57 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by sukkoi19
I dont think he had many mods, but he had significant weight reduction.
since when is removing the spare, jack and passenger seat "significant weight reduction"????? That's like 100lbs at the MOST. and pretty much everyone removed the spare and jack, so the only "significant" thing he did was remove the passenger seat which weighs MAYBE 30lbs...
Old 02-24-2003, 10:53 AM
typeR

ok...your theory can make sense on paper (or on screen ), but I just don't see it happening in the real world.

EXAMPLE From the real world:

My maxima had a very similar power band to the Z (less hp and tq of course), and on my best run, with a 2.14 60' I didn't get one bit of wheelspin at all. I came off the line at about 2500 doing a REALLY quick slip of the clutch (almost a drop). I ended up running my best trap speed of the day hooking straight off the line instead of spinning.

Explain that....

BTW - every other run I trapped almost the same (high 96s), with 60's ranging from 2.2-2.4 and lots of wheel spin and hop...to just a little. Actually looking at my timeslips now, I only trapped 95.89mph on my crazy wheelspin 2.4 60' (first run of the day), and on two other runs I trapped an identical 96.85mph with much different 60ft times.
i've made more than 100 passes now i dont want you to think we are talking a huge difference here im talking about 1 mph not 5 ....here's a typical light spin run...
60 2.178
330 6.036
1/8th 9.129@79.12
1000 11.818
1/4 14.050 @102.11

as compared to
my pb
60 2.068
330 5.869
1/8th 8.930@79.85
1000 11.583
1/4 13.794@101.54

now just because I've trapped at 102 doesnt mean i can go 13.6 it means if i hook good 2.0 then MPH will come down alittle again we're talking 1 mph lots of variables go into this and one could look at the above and say wait a minute but your 1/8th mile trapp is lower why? spinning should have it higher...i gate shift for my best times meaning all the way down into D1 and it's important to get the shift just right or i bump the rev limiter...probablly the reason...
Old 02-24-2003, 11:33 AM
JimH

Default Z comparo times???

I ran my bone stock 350 Touring w/5AT this past Saturday. The only thing I did was remove the tire and jack (made me feel better!) and dropped rear tire pressure. We are at 1800' above sea level here in the Phoenix area and it was 74 degrees mid day.
I post my timeslip next to yours for comparison sake. My slip is on the left side.
I am confused by the wide disparity in times and speed across the board here. I am quicker all the way up to the 1/4 light, yet your 1/8 mile mph is 5mph (!!!) faster and you turned a 13.88 vs. my 14.102. Your trap was considerably higher @ 103 than my 99.4 too. That is a huge difference in my book, especially with you putting traction down on only one tire. Were you losing traction all the way down the track out to 1000' and then hooking up? I wouldn't think so. I don't know where Kali is, but it seems to be a wide disparity here unless your 100 octane and (possible) sea level runs @ Kali made all this difference.
Not calling bs here, but wondering how you made up all that time?? BTW, what was the other car on your timeslip that you ran against? Regards, Jim

Quick Reply: Z run 13.88