Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Ran a 2001 Z28 AT.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 07:47 PM
Lokeey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ran a 2001 Z28 AT.....

I finally got to play last night after 3400 miles on the OD. For some reason I have not had any takers and it's been driving me crazy.....So as I was pulling on to the boulevard, me and my wife were going to get a late night dinner and some drinks when I see this dark purplish Z28 quickly coming behind me.I am in the middle of 2nd so I say to my wife that I think somebody wants to play with us. The Z28 front is about even with my rear now as I figure that will give me enough room to go WOT so we should be about even by the time both of us get kicked in for the race. WOT......let the games begin, I started walkin away, then the shift to third, I can see both his headlights in my drivers side mirror. At about this time we come to the top of a hill going around 90 - 100 mph were I know there is a stoplight on the otherside so I slow down in case there is a cop. We'll me and my wife are grinning at this point because the camaro could not hang with us and was in fact falling behind at a good pace. So I take off after the light turns green up to another red light which is at the top of another hill. Ummm guess who pulls beside me. So my wife says" get'em....you can take him ". At this point I start to have racers cramp in my legs and my stomach....I am use to just pushing the gas and qoing AT style, but now I have to do it in a manual from the start on an incline.

We'll, the light turns green and we both take off normally then I see him punch it. At this point he is already a half a car ahead of me by the time I am at WOT, and then low and behold...........I miss 2nd......Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....dammmmmniiitttt. But in the end He never pulled more then half a car on me before I shut it down. But... a loss is a loss. I caught up to him at the next light and he knew I just wasn't making excuses up for the loss cause he gave a big thumbs up when he was falling behind at the first part of the race. So I told him what had happend and he laughed...He said that he has an Auto "just hit the floor and it goes". He was cool about it though. I just need more practice against weaker opponents first. My fuc_ing stomach was in knots....LOL

Last edited by Lokeey; 04-06-2003 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-06-2003, 10:01 PM
sukkoi19

Old 04-06-2003, 10:13 PM
AOC

" I just need more practice against weaker opponents first."

Oh man, I am new here and I love this site already....

Since when is a 2001 Z28 a weaker opponent? You do realize there is a very minimal diff in 1/4times between the M6 and Auto dont you???
Old 04-06-2003, 10:30 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by AOC
" I just need more practice against weaker opponents first."

Oh man, I am new here and I love this site already....

Since when is a 2001 Z28 a weaker opponent? You do realize there is a very minimal diff in 1/4times between the M6 and Auto dont you???
I had nearly the same experience with an LS1 4AT from a roll....
Old 04-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Lokeey

No, no....I was not talking about the Z28 as a weaker opponent I was talking about other slower cars compared to mine....hehehehehe

Last edited by Lokeey; 04-06-2003 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:22 AM
Zmoney

How in the world does someone miss 2nd gear? Just pull straight back man...lol! Thats a new one to me
Old 04-07-2003, 02:27 AM
Lokeey

Like I said......I was nervous and I am not afraid to admit it. That was a beast I was driving against. This Is why I said "I just need more practice against weaker opponents first". I need to get a little practice in before I start messing around with the "Z" main competition........
Old 04-07-2003, 02:33 AM
Zmoney

Originally posted by Lokeey
Like I said......I was nervous and I am not afraid to admit it. That was a beast I was driving against. This Is why I said "I just need more practice against weaker opponents first". I need to get a little practice in before I start messing around with the "Z" main competition........
Just bustin your chops man, I had too
Old 04-07-2003, 02:37 AM
Lokeey

Lol......Like I said............I had cramps in my tummy afterwards.....but Alcohol came and saved the day...
Old 04-07-2003, 04:27 AM
julian

cool wife
Old 04-07-2003, 07:19 AM
D C

Damn those F-Bodies!
Old 04-07-2003, 09:01 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Default Hands down i agree with this

Originally posted by julian
cool wife
I think you married the right woman, and good race
Old 04-07-2003, 11:51 AM
JonsilvZ

Default Re: Ran a 2001 Z28 AT.....

I finally got to play last night after 3400 miles on the OD. For some reason I have not had any takers and it's been driving me crazy.....So as I was pulling on to the boulevard, me and my wife were going to get a late night dinner and some drinks when I see this dark purplish Z28 quickly coming behind me.I am in the middle of 2nd so I say to my wife that I think somebody wants to play with us. The Z28 front is about even with my rear now as I figure that will give me enough room to go WOT so we should be about even by the time both of us get kicked in for the race. WOT......let the games begin, I started walkin away, then the shift to third, I can see both his headlights in my drivers side mirror. At about this time we come to the top of a hill going around 90 - 100 mph were I know there is a stoplight on the otherside so I slow down in case there is a cop. We'll me and my wife are grinning at this point because the camaro could not hang with us and was in fact falling behind at a good pace. So I take off after the light turns green up to another red light which is at the top of another hill. Ummm guess who pulls beside me. So my wife says" get'em....you can take him ". At this point I start to have racers cramp in my legs and my stomach....I am use to just pushing the gas and qoing AT style, but now I have to do it in a manual from the start on an incline.

We'll, the light turns green and we both take off normally then I see him punch it. At this point he is already a half a car ahead of me by the time I am at WOT, and then low and behold...........I miss 2nd......Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....dammmmmniiitttt. But in the end He never pulled more then half a car on me before I shut it down. But... a loss is a loss. I caught up to him at the next light and he knew I just wasn't making excuses up for the loss cause he gave a big thumbs up when he was falling behind at the first part of the race. So I told him what had happend and he laughed...He said that he has an Auto "just hit the floor and it goes". He was cool about it though. I just need more practice against weaker opponents first. My fuc_ing stomach was in knots....LOL

Nice race! You shouldve been there when I raced a Z06!! I said my 350Z 5AT is fast!
Old 04-07-2003, 12:13 PM
Static

Heh.. I get those same feelings still vs. worthy opponents and I race all the time man.. so don't feel bad. Important thing is u had fun and your wife is a cool woman. Best of luck to you next time and keep representin us well
Old 04-07-2003, 12:33 PM
Lokeey

Yeh....some times she is just as bad as I am.......I can be going 15 over the speed limit and someone will go past me . She say's "you gonna let him do that " . So then I have to take him out for the sake of Love
Old 04-07-2003, 01:04 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by Zmoney
How in the world does someone miss 2nd gear? Just pull straight back man...lol! Thats a new one to me
you must granny shift if you "never" miss second gear. I can shift faster than my trans can handle...and when I do it will either lock me out of the next gear for a split second or grind.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:11 PM
hfm

Good race. I've found the Camaro SS to be a driver's race. Won one, lost one and it came down to the shifting. They have a significant horse-power edge, but I think we have a weight edge.

In order to beat one of these beasts, you have to not have too much wheel spin on launch and you have to speed shift 1st and 2nd. The redline comes up very quickly so you have to be quick to win. Basically, launch at 2k-2.5k, feather the clutch out without full power at the very get go or you will definitely get wheel spin. Once the wheels have hooked up, slam on the power and get ready to do your speed shift into 2nd. You can beat them through 3rd if you're quick in your shifts.

I have no idea how you would do in 4th or higher but it's my guess that you should be able to hang all the way up to 130 mph or so before their superior horsepower and torque start to pull on you. One thing is certain, if you're not beating him by the first and second gear, you will never be able to catch up.

And, BriGuyMax is right. I've shifted too fast before into second causing some seriously painful grind at 6k+ rpm. Done that twice and hate hearing it, it's got to be the worse sound ever.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:21 PM
S8ER95Z

I need to get a little practice in before I start messing around with the "Z" main competition........
No offense but uh.. the Mustang GT, Stock LT1s, and SRT-4 Neons are your main competition.... an LS1 is just called a lucky kill. They run on avg .7~1 second faster in the 1/4.. thats a large difference. Of course it only takes a 1 second mistake ...like a bad launch to even things out... but If I thought of things in that manner I would go hunting 03 Cobras and refer to them as my main competition... It just doesn't work that way.. and just pray they don't have CAI or LID and a muffler.. The Automatics pull off high 12s with those mods.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:26 PM
sukkoi19

Originally posted by S8ER95Z
No offense but uh.. the Mustang GT, Stock LT1s, and SRT-4 Neons are your main competition.... an LS1 is just called a lucky kill. They run on avg .7~1 second faster in the 1/4.. thats a large difference. Of course it only takes a 1 second mistake ...like a bad launch to even things out... but If I thought of things in that manner I would go hunting 03 Cobras and refer to them as my main competition... It just doesn't work that way.. and just pray they don't have CAI or LID and a muffler.. The Automatics pull off high 12s with those mods.
Oh, dont you know, auto 350Z can hang with ZO6s now. Sh*t LS1s arent any competition, what were thinking man?
Old 04-07-2003, 02:28 PM
Zmeflyby

good race

gotta luv that 3rd gear!

Quick Reply: Ran a 2001 Z28 AT.....