Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Another SRT-4 Neon Sighting.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 04:39 PM
joust75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another SRT-4 Neon Sighting.

Today I was stopped at a light and a red SRT-4 pulls up to my left.
It looks much better in person. I actually think it is a good looking car now. It sure didnt sound like a neon either. (they dont come with a muffler, only a silencer.

My heart starts to beat because I smelled a race. I looked over but he was not looking back. I thought; maybe not.
But then he starts to rev. A gurgly rasping sound with a trace of turbo whine and the understated mouse fart of a BOV.
So I think... "Its On!!!!" and look back over. The guy was in the zone, staring straight down the road as if hes at the start line at the indy 500.
Two cars lined up with similar performance, the race was inevitable!
Green Light, my hearts in my throat, (what a rush!!) I do not launch but I start off agressively. Across from my Z his tires sing and exhaust roars out through my Borla.
First Gear is almost through, I risk a quick side glance and WTF!!!??? we are neck and neck SH*T!
I did a great 1st to second. Tires chirp and my momentum continues almost seamlessly. Left glance yeilds a persistent Red Neon (crap how will I live this down?!)
2nd gear almost up and I look left again. There is Neon bumper and and intake woosh at my mid section. I am starting to gain!!
Flawless 3rd gear shift and the Neon is nipping at my bumper (yes!) Halfway through 3rd and hes seeing the view that most autos get of my Z. I got to the beginning of fourth before we had to slow for traffic but by that time I had half a car.
He passes me and turns right and smiles the secure smile of one who got an awful lot of whoop-*** for around 24K.
But the Z and Me were victorious. Not as fun as sex but what a great race. Watch out for those little bastards.
It looks like we will need more than exhaust to properly shame these 4 bangers. I just hope I dont come across the new STi for a while!

Peace !!
Old 05-20-2003, 12:58 PM
240DRIVEN

Nice kill. It's funny how some claim the SRT-4 is a faster car than the Z.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:35 PM
jackie chan

From what i have seen the neon like the mus gt is a bit more of a difficult car to get off oof the line than the z....but all three are obviously a driver's race....but mos def watch out for an srt with a boost control
Old 05-20-2003, 01:46 PM
WashUJon

FWD turbo cars are always going to be tricky to drive. Torque steer sucks, even if its minimal...
Old 05-20-2003, 01:50 PM
Montez

Good win but I'm sure his car wasnt broken in yet as alot of peep s tend to proclaim when they lose one around here.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:39 PM
wadd3456

No torque steer in the neon guys. People keep saying that on this board.........

It has equal length drive shafts
Old 05-20-2003, 04:58 PM
defylaw

Originally posted by groovysmells
what is the srt-4 rated @ in fwhp/bhp and tq
its rated at 215 hp and 245 ft/lbs tq for the engine. but according to SCC, it dyno's higher than that. according to their website they got 223 and 250, respectively of course, at the wheels.
Old 05-20-2003, 05:23 PM
supra crazy

nice kill the only person i ever raced in my z so far was a audi tt and a honda civic (rice setup)
Old 05-20-2003, 08:08 PM
Inova

looks like im gonna have to watch out for these bad boys.. im not that great of a driver but doesnt seem like anyone around sugar land is either.. good kill!
Old 05-20-2003, 08:24 PM
deeba

nice race jules!!! way to go. we need to meet up and see who's Z is faster. lol cya
Old 05-20-2003, 09:58 PM
edubbzzz

Default Toasted a CLK 430!!!!

I was driving home last last night, when i look over and a CLK430 is sitting next to me at the traffic light! It's late
Old 05-21-2003, 12:45 AM
joust75

I usually dont post about races or kills but this was a good race! i had to share.
I dont know if that guy had his car broken in or not but I beat him fair and square! 3rd gear I really started to pull away.
3rd gear on the Z rocks! Thanks for the support!

BTW defylaw I heard the same stuff. Ive got Road and Track in front of me and they did a dyno too
They got 222 hp to the wheels and 246 tq to the wheels when dodge is claiming 215 and 245 respectively at the crank!!! RT says this HP figure at the wheels equates to about 238 at the crank.
I have heard of understating power but this is ridiculous!
Old 05-21-2003, 08:18 AM
defylaw

Originally posted by joust75
BTW defylaw I heard the same stuff. Ive got Road and Track in front of me and they did a dyno too
They got 222 hp to the wheels and 246 tq to the wheels when dodge is claiming 215 and 245 respectively at the crank!!! RT says this HP figure at the wheels equates to about 238 at the crank.
I have heard of understating power but this is ridiculous!
totally undestating it, the only reason i can really think of is because maybe they thought it would be nice to not have insurance sky high, considering who the car is being marketed to.

by the way, good job on the kill. one thing i still can't believe its less than $20K! i'd take a Z33 over it anyday, but its still a helluva a value.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:15 PM
joeshow750

I looked on an SRT forum and I remember one guy who claimed 13.1 with boost controller and slicks.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:33 PM
wadd3456

Yup thats right
Old 05-21-2003, 05:44 PM
newmexicoZ33

Default Re: Another SRT-4 Neon Sighting.

It looks much better in person. I actually think it is a good looking car now.
well, I finally saw one at the front of a Dodge dealership a couple of days ago (a red one too) and I was thinking the exact same thing. Those cars are actually pretty nice looking. I don't know what it was about the magazine shots I saw that led me to think the car would be just OK looking, but seeing one in person changed my mind. Only thing is, I am sure most dealerships are not respecting their 20K msrp value (especially not in a smaller city like Abq). I am guessing (and have heard of) around 23K or 24K with markups, which would make me much more inclined to shoot for a WRX instead, which can probably be made just as fast as the SRT-4 with nothing more than an up-pipe, and you'd also have AWD, and reliability and re-sale value. However, if you can get the SRT-4 for its 20K MSRP, then that is a very tough deal to beat.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:29 PM
sA'X

I just hope I dont come across the new STi for a while!

Peace !!
Indeed!!!
Old 05-22-2003, 12:03 AM
joust75

Angry

Or Mitsu Evo for that matter. We need some mods boys!!!!
Old 05-22-2003, 06:34 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks much better in person. I actually think it is a good looking car now. It sure didnt sound like a neon either. (they dont come with a muffler, only a silencer.

My heart starts to beat because I smelled a race. I looked over but he was not looking back. I thought; maybe not.
But then he starts to rev. A gurgly rasping sound with a trace of turbo whine and the understated mouse fart of a BOV.
So I think... "Its On!!!!" and look back over. The guy was in the zone, staring straight down the road as if hes at the start line at the indy 500.
Two cars lined up with similar performance, the race was inevitable!
Green Light, my hearts in my throat, (what a rush!!) I do not launch but I start off agressively. Across from my Z his tires sing and exhaust roars out through my Borla.
First Gear is almost through, I risk a quick side glance and

WTF!!!??? we are neck and neck SH*T!

I did a great 1st to second. Tires chirp and my momentum continues almost seamlessly. Left glance yeilds a persistent Red Neon (crap how will I live this down?!)
2nd gear almost up and I look left again. There is Neon bumper and and intake woosh at my mid section. I am starting to gain!!
Flawless 3rd gear shift and the Neon is nipping at my bumper (yes!) Halfway through 3rd and hes seeing the view that most autos get of my Z. I got to the beginning of fourth before we had to slow for traffic but by that time I had half a car.
He passes me and turns right and smiles the secure smile of one who got an awful lot of whoop-*** for around 24K.
But the Z and Me were victorious. Not as fun as sex but what a great race. Watch out for those little bastards.
It looks like we will need more than exhaust to properly shame these 4 bangers. I just hope I dont come across the new STi for a while!

Peace !!

You have a borla exhaust? what other mods?

Quick Reply: Another SRT-4 Neon Sighting.