Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Track wheels VS I-Forged 19's 1/4 MILE TIMES

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 07:52 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by JamRWS6
The Corvette engineers said it was for lighter weight saving somthing like 3 lbs. per wheel......heck these guys went so far as slicing the windshield thinner to save weight on the car.....I'd call that pretty hardcore about trying to save weight.....not to mention other things they did.

The Z06 is the Premium Corvette.....the profit margin on the C5s is already high so they really wouldn't have a need to increase it any.

And if you think about it.....Forged components are A LOT heavier.....
Forged wheels and parts are going to be HEAVIER every time.....just think about it.....
When you forge somthing it is A LOT heavier.....even if they use less material in some areas the overall piece is going to be significantly heavier......
and as I said before Cast wheels are MORE than strong enough for light duty track and street applications.
I wouldn't say forged wheels are heavier. Look at nearly any wheel weight chart and the forged wheels are the light ones. That's why people rave about them so much.

RodH - I am VERY impressed with the ADRs for their price, and they are plenty strong. I went through a pothole at night a few weeks ago so hard that I though I punctured my front tire. Both the tire and rim are still perfect.
Old 06-21-2003, 09:22 AM
rodH

The Corvette engineers said it was for lighter weight saving somthing like 3 lbs. per wheel......heck these guys went so far as slicing the windshield thinner to save weight on the car.....I'd call that pretty hardcore about trying to save weight.....not to mention other things they did.

The Z06 is the Premium Corvette.....the profit margin on the C5s is already high so they really wouldn't have a need to increase it any.

And if you think about it.....Forged components are A LOT heavier.....
Forged wheels and parts are going to be HEAVIER every time.....just think about it.....
When you forge somthing it is A LOT heavier.....even if they use less material in some areas the overall piece is going to be significantly heavier......
and as I said before Cast wheels are MORE than strong enough for light duty track and street applications.
forging provides the strongest strength the wt ratio (esp cold forging). It has more MASS (meaning that for a given area, it will be heavier), but you need LESS material, that is THE point. look at every high end product, anytime there is a forged option avail, it cost more money, is stronger and is the higher end product. many products don't NEED it (maybe wheels don't "need" it, but you don't "need" over 100 hp in a car either).
Old 06-21-2003, 09:26 AM
rodH

btw, I don't consider a Zo6 a premium anything, I guess when I am used to 911s, Sl55s, etc.....and you look at a vette, it is hard to use the word "premium". is it fast?? Yep, but that doesn't mean that they use the BEST quality products in every component.

look at ALL the race cars (I am talking 3 mil F1 cars down to ALMS Ferarris, they ALL USE FORGED wheels).

stop looking at the Z06 as the pinnicle which it isn't
Old 06-21-2003, 09:39 AM
JamRWS6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rodH
btw, I don't consider a Zo6 a premium anything, I guess when I am used to 911s, Sl55s, etc.....and you look at a vette, it is hard to use the word "premium". is it fast?? Yep, but that doesn't mean that they use the BEST quality products in every component.

look at ALL the race cars (I am talking 3 mil F1 cars down to ALMS Ferarris, they ALL USE FORGED wheels).

stop looking at the Z06 as the pinnicle which it isn't
The Z06 is the pinnacle of affordable performance......
It will absolutely wipe a 350Z off of a track not to mention hang right there with almost any exotic......
Did You forget the MT test where the Z06 BEAT the Ferrari 575 F1 Maranello from 0-100-0 and placed VERY high in all tests.....not to mention being cheaper than any other car there.

I guess since you are "used to 911s, Sl55s, etc..." there is some time where you are going to have to pull your nose out of the air, especially when the car you are dissing is better than your current car in EVERY area.
And before you start attacking interior quality....wasn't it MT that said the "cheap plastic door" on the interior of the Z "would break before the year was over".....wow high quality there

Don't bash other cars...
Z06s are bad ***....end of conversation.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:14 AM
rodH

The Z06 is the pinnacle of affordable performance......
It will absolutely wipe a 350Z off of a track not to mention hang right there with almost any exotic......
Did You forget the MT test where the Z06 BEAT the Ferrari 575 F1 Maranello from 0-100-0 and placed VERY high in all tests.....not to mention being cheaper than any other car there.

I guess since you are "used to 911s, Sl55s, etc..." there is some time where you are going to have to pull your nose out of the air, especially when the car you are dissing is better than your current car in EVERY area.
And before you start attacking interior quality....wasn't it MT that said the "cheap plastic door" on the interior of the Z "would break before the year was over".....wow high quality there

Don't bash other cars...
Z06s are bad ***....end of conversation.
show me where I said it wasn't a BAD *** CAR??? I didn't say that, ALL I am saying is that it isn't the most "cost no object" performance car out there, it is a bad *** exotic killer for a fraction of the price. meaning that cost is still an issue, but it is damb fast. That said, would you really rather have a Z06, than a 575, 360 or even a stock 911??? I wouldn't, I guess that is why you have a GM and I don't, 0-60 isn't everything to me, while it is to some. I am not ripping, all I am saying is that everybody looks for different things, I just so happen to like what I like. All I was referring to when talking about the SL and 911s is that some cars are made to be "premium" sports cars (like those I listed) while others aren't (like the Z06). That says NOTHING about how fast a car is.

btw, I never compared the Z06 to the Z, seems pretty stupid to me. If you put nicer wheels on a Z does that mean the Zs has nicer wheels, or is there no way, since the Z06 is a faster car?? If you put a $40k sound system in a condo, VS a Bose POS in a mansion, does that mansion have a better system just because it is a mansion, or can you agree that we are talking about totally different components that don't relate??

as for ripping on the Z, if you hate it so much, why are you here???? . I won't even go into the quality of other cars, that is a whole other discussion and would take this topic waaaaay off thread.

btw, it looks like the Vettes used in the Le Mans last week uses Forged wheels, so could I (perhaps) be right???

Last edited by rodH; 06-21-2003 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:36 AM
350z4steve

How did this go from wheel types their weights and comparisions on the Z to arguing about a pretty sweet ride in the Z06?

Like it or not ..its ounds like their is agreement in it performs awesome but Really when you think about it there isnt alot out there that compares for the $$ probably nothing at all..so in that since it is a pinnacle of sorts as in a super sports car for the money.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:02 AM
JamRWS6

show me where I said it wasn't a BAD *** CAR??? I didn't say that, ALL I am saying is that it isn't the most "cost no object" performance car out there, it is a bad *** exotic killer for a fraction of the price. meaning that cost is still an issue, but it is damb fast. That said, would you really rather have a Z06, than a 575, 360 or even a stock 911??? I wouldn't, I guess that is why you have a GM and I don't, 0-60 isn't everything to me, while it is to some. I am not ripping, all I am saying is that everybody looks for different things, I just so happen to like what I like. All I was referring to when talking about the SL and 911s is that some cars are made to be "premium" sports cars (like those I listed) while others aren't (like the Z06). That says NOTHING about how fast a car is.

btw, I never compared the Z06 to the Z, seems pretty stupid to me. If you put nicer wheels on a Z does that mean the Zs has nicer wheels, or is there no way, since the Z06 is a faster car?? If you put a $40k sound system in a condo, VS a Bose POS in a mansion, does that mansion have a better system just because it is a mansion, or can you agree that we are talking about totally different components that don't relate??

as for ripping on the Z, if you hate it so much, why are you here???? . I won't even go into the quality of other cars, that is a whole other discussion and would take this topic waaaaay off thread.

btw, it looks like the Vettes used in the Le Mans last week uses Forged wheels, so could I (perhaps) be right???
I'm sorry but I would take a Z06 over ANY Porsche short of a 911 Turbo.

As for the forged wheel debate......go back and READ what i said.....for a street/ light track duty car you DO NOT need forged wheels....of course a RACE car that is running LeMans is going to use the most heavy duty components available.

I simply stated that the Z06 went to a cast wheel to SAVE weight and you started going off on how its not a premium sports car Who cares.....tailights look the same no matter what you are riding in.

BTW-- I don't hate the Z one bit.....they are cool little cars....as for some of the owners....they make me wonder
Old 06-21-2003, 11:07 AM
daking350
Banned

I hate when people start getting off the original topic to debate...Look..The "z" is a great car "for the money" BUT it is not the best,not the fastest,not the nicest car in the world..."z"owners on this site tend to think that their car is god and all others suck!!!Truth is I love my "z" BUT...If financial fortune was in my favor I would not hesitate to take the Vett z06 or the M3 or the 911 over the "z" in a split second...But for now I'm stuck with and very happy with my "z"So...that being said back to the original point...

Heres a little trick to try next time at the track for all you 1/4 mile gangstas ..Try dropping the rear tire pressure to about 22-25 lbs of pressure and at the same time inflate the front tires to about 42-max psi to reduce rolling resistance..Now with the softer rear tires you should beable to launch at a slightly higher rpm without loosing traction..Get your 60 foot times to the low 2's even break the 2's and you will definitely see 13's regardless of trap speed..Remember the race is usually won and lost in the first 60 feet especially with this car...Trust me its real hard being consistant with this car on the launch and takes alot!!!of practice.. Trap speed is secondary..perfect example : I ran a 13.3@107.9 with a 60 ft of 2.25 on street tires...I ran a 13.1@105.9 on drag radials with a 60 ft of 1.98..my 1/4 mile times were 2 tenths lower but due to the height difference(my d/rs were about 1.5 inches higher than my street tires)my trap speed was lower by 2mph..when it comes to Drag racing speed is secondary its who gets from "a" to "b" first...Get your launch low and consistant first that is the key!!!
wanna freak out try this one, Get a set of 16"maxima rims and tires and run the 1/4 ...your times will be lower cause the smaller tires circumference acts like a "gear" change...Ask "MaxHax"...
Attached Thumbnails Track wheels VS I-Forged 19's 1/4 MILE TIMES-z3.jpg  
Old 06-21-2003, 04:08 PM
orhanz33

daking...i think i saw you at englishtown a few weeks ago...you ran a 13.2 w/ stock 18's on the rear....i was talking to some other guy in a white Z he said you were spraying...you left right after I saw you run though...was that you?

p.s. sorry to get off topic...
Old 06-21-2003, 08:05 PM
RedRocketZ

can I get an AMAN for what daking350 said about the off topic crap???? BTW guys if you wanna see some light wheels check out http://www.weldracing.com
they claim to have the lightest Forged wheels in the world 11.6 Per 17(thats without tires of course)
Old 06-22-2003, 09:13 AM
rodH

Originally posted by daking350
I hate when people start getting off the original topic to debate...Look..The "z" is a great car "for the money" BUT it is not the best,not the fastest,not the nicest car in the world..."z"owners on this site tend to think that their car is god and all others suck!!!Truth is I love my "z" BUT...If financial fortune was in my favor I would not hesitate to take the Vett z06 or the M3 or the 911 over the "z" in a split second...But for now I'm stuck with and very happy with my "z"So...that being said back to the original point...

and I agree 100%, except I would rather have an M3 or 911 (by far) than a Z06, I am just not a vette guy (not everyone is, just like many people don't like 911s). I hope you don't think I was claiming the Z is teh BEST car int he world though.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:26 AM
little_rod

Well, it is a classic ol' school versus new school debate. Big V8s versus there smaller and more efficient counterparts. When you are running, who cares what you have under the hood, if you win??? Well, some people care, some don't. I was at an autoX yesterday, watching Z06s, Corbas, Camaros, TransAms and the Z go around a real short track. For your info, the Z and Z06 were neck and neck in times all day, with the others far behind. Room to run, of course things would change, but the Z can hold its own.

I am a Mustang fan, it was my first car. But I don't drag race, not at all. Ol' school will always dominate the drag strip, and that is cool if you like that. But people always say you have your "nose in the air" if you don't appreicate the ol' school cars for what they can do. I don't see this as a correct statement. If I see a few twisties on the way somewhere, then I will take my Z. That is not ******* the other cars at all, but it seems like to me, if you prefer what the Z does best, you have your "nose in the air". No, we just have different tastes in what we want out of a car.

Does that make me a snob cause I don't want a Vette??? Well, does it make someone else a snob cause they don't want a 911??? All this is, is preception. 911 drivers are snobs, Vette drivers wear leather and gold chains. White collar, Blue collar. But really, it is just preference, wish we could just be happy with what we love, instead of judging what others love. And that goes for more than just cars.

Last edited by little_rod; 06-22-2003 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-22-2003, 02:33 PM
daking350
Banned

Originally posted by little_rod
Well, it is a classic ol' school versus new school debate. Big V8s versus there smaller and more efficient counterparts. When you are running, who cares what you have under the hood, if you win??? Well, some people care, some don't. I was at an autoX yesterday, watching Z06s, Corbas, Camaros, TransAms and the Z go around a real short track. For your info, the Z and Z06 were neck and neck in times all day, with the others far behind. Room to run, of course things would change, but the Z can hold its own.

I am a Mustang fan, it was my first car. But I don't drag race, not at all. Ol' school will always dominate the drag strip, and that is cool if you like that. But people always say you have your "nose in the air" if you don't appreicate the ol' school cars for what they can do. I don't see this as a correct statement. If I see a few twisties on the way somewhere, then I will take my Z. That is not ******* the other cars at all, but it seems like to me, if you prefer what the Z does best, you have your "nose in the air". No, we just have different tastes in what we want out of a car.

Does that make me a snob cause I don't want a Vette??? Well, does it make someone else a snob cause they don't want a 911??? All this is, is preception. 911 drivers are snobs, Vette drivers wear leather and gold chains. White collar, Blue collar. But really, it is just preference, wish we could just be happy with what we love, instead of judging what others love. And that goes for more than just cars.

This is a prime example of the point i was trying to make..The guy who started this thread asked a question(and still has not recieved his answer)about forged wheels ...now it has mutated into the old school vs new school post...Please read the dammmmmmmmnnn title of the post before you post..If you have something relevant to add to the discussion then feel free to post..If you wanna post about old school vs new school then go to the "search" function and type in O L D S C H O O L V S N E W S C H O O L !!!

Sorry if I sound so pissed but I am....Do you know how many times I started a thread to get a serious answer of suggestion to some thing and by the time 4 people posted it they were talking about whether Britney Spears was really a virgin...I cmon guys seriously, stick to topic or DONY FRIGGIN POST!!!!!
Old 06-22-2003, 04:06 PM
RedRocketZ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a prime example of the point i was trying to make..The guy who started this thread asked a question(and still has not recieved his answer)about forged wheels ...now it has mutated into the old school vs new school post...Please read the dammmmmmmmnnn title of the post before you post..If you have something relevant to add to the discussion then feel free to post..If you wanna post about old school vs new school then go to the "search" function and type in O L D S C H O O L V S N E W S C H O O L !!!

Sorry if I sound so pissed but I am....Do you know how many times I started a thread to get a serious answer of suggestion to some thing and by the time 4 people posted it they were talking about whether Britney Spears was really a virgin...I cmon guys seriously, stick to topic or DONY FRIGGIN POST!!!!!.

AMAN!!!!!
Old 06-22-2003, 05:44 PM
2003z

Originally posted by daking350

This is a prime example of the point i was trying to make..The guy who started this thread asked a question(and still has not recieved his answer)about forged wheels

Actually, he didn't ask a question, just made a point, and a damn good one at that, by comparing the 2 wheels. It helped me a lot.
Old 06-22-2003, 06:44 PM
little_rod

Come on guys, wtf??? I posted a message about what Jam and rodH were talking about already, and I get lynched for it?? Yes, the conversation did turn a different direction, but heck, if you are that mad, just ignore my post. Start a new message board for yourself with "Stick to the topic, or shut the hell up".

Bet you will have a small community. Get on Jam for bringing it up for pete's sake. Do a search, bet you will find quite a few trends that don't stick to the topic. To make this trend and me an example is kinda small. The point of the trend has been made, there is a small difference in performance with the rim switch. Maybe we should just close a trend when a point is made, or better yet, just close it when YOU think it should be closed. Would that make you happier, censor boy???

Well, I guess you can comment on it, and noone else should say a word. Yeah, thats better.

Last edited by little_rod; 06-22-2003 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-22-2003, 07:20 PM
max2000jp

and I agree 100%, except I would rather have an M3 or 911 (by far) than a Z06, I am just not a vette guy (not everyone is, just like many people don't like 911s). I hope you don't think I was claiming the Z is teh BEST car int he world though.
911's and M3's arent in the same league as a Z06, rather they should be compared to the standard C5. I am accustomed to high end german cars, but would take a Z06 over pretty much any European car. Wanna know why....Its a unbelievable bargain and is an amazing track car. The potential on a Z06 is far greater than any German car I know of.
Old 06-22-2003, 07:30 PM
azjimbo

Since this topic got so far off I will agree with rodH.The Vette could be the fastest car in the world but I would never pay 55k for a Chevy.That is M3 territory.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:33 PM
JamRWS6

Originally posted by azjimbo
Since this topic got so far off I will agree with rodH.The Vette could be the fastest car in the world but I would never pay 55k for a Chevy.That is M3 territory.
Or could you look at it another way....

55K for a M3 is Vette territory......why would i pay that much for a 4 door sedan that is notorious for blowing engines?

Just food for thought.

I'm sorry if I caused this to get out of hand.....all i was trying to do is point out that the 01 Z06s came with forged wheels from the factory and an improvement made for 02+ cars was going back to a lighter cast wheel.
Forged wheels can be lighter I agree but if the wheel is the same design and same material cast will always be lighter than a forged wheel.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:40 PM
rodH

Or could you look at it another way....

55K for a M3 is Vette territory......why would i pay that much for a 4 door sedan that is notorious for blowing engines?

Just food for thought.

I'm sorry if I caused this to get out of hand.....all i was trying to do is point out that the 01 Z06s came with forged wheels from the factory and an improvement made for 02+ cars was going back to a lighter cast wheel.
Forged wheels can be lighter I agree but if the wheel is the same design and same material cast will always be lighter than a forged wheel.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.
4 door M3??? for 55K, where??

Quick Reply: Track wheels VS I-Forged 19's 1/4 MILE TIMES