what is/where to buy the blue bumper wrap/tape for auto-X ? - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

Motorsports
The Z in its Natural Habitat

Old 09-30-2003, 11:50 PM   #1
Phatmitzu

Question what is/where to buy the blue bumper wrap/tape for auto-X ?

I see many people use this blue wrap/tape to protect their front bumper and side skirts from rock chips during auto-Xing. I was wondering what are those and where to get them?

Thanks
Old 10-01-2003, 08:03 AM   #2
Kayaalp

Default Re: what is/where to buy the blue bumper wrap/tape for auto-X ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Phatmitzu
I see many people use this blue wrap/tape to protect their front bumper and side skirts from rock chips during auto-Xing. I was wondering what are those and where to get them?
That's what people call "racer's tape." It looks sort of like duct tape, but it's more flexible and (most importantly) has a relatively mild glue. Regular duct tape will either leave residue behind or even strip wax and paint off your car. The adhesive in racer's tape is safe to use on paint. The place I usually get it from is HMS Motorsports in New Hampshire. I'm sure it's available just about anywhere. Try Racer's Wholesale or Racing Parts Online if HMS doesn't carry the color you want (I know they usually carry dark blue, red, and black).

Emre
Old 10-01-2003, 12:56 PM   #3
D'oh

I've used masking tape in the past, since it also has a mild adhesive. Not sure how strong it is or anything. I didn't even know there was a "racers tape" and thought everyone had the blue masking tape that painters use. What a maroon..

-D'oh!
Old 10-01-2003, 01:05 PM   #4
Kayaalp

Quote:
Originally posted by D'oh
I've used masking tape in the past, since it also has a mild adhesive...I didn't even know there was a "racers tape" and thought everyone had the blue masking tape that painters use.
That blue masking tape that 3M makes is just as good as racer's tape for the most part. It's just not as strong and doesn't hold up very well when it gets wet.

Emre
Old 10-01-2003, 01:31 PM   #5
Phatmitzu

Humm I see. Thanks, I'll look into it.