Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

336whp!?!?!!? Well sortof.... Crazy Plenum Test

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 12:25 AM
razer8c

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgive me if I sound like an idiot. But I was thinking about this some and wondered if u had an hr plenum on the de motor and had it wired to run the motor just like the de does just utilizing one intake and throttle body until you reached a desired RPM allowing the other throttle body to flip open yielding much more air intake. Wired kind of like nitrous where it only sprays when you reach the appropriate RPM level. Using throttle position instead of MAF... Just an idea sorry if its stupid!
Old 07-30-2009, 02:50 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by razer8c
Forgive me if I sound like an idiot. But I was thinking about this some and wondered if u had an hr plenum on the de motor and had it wired to run the motor just like the de does just utilizing one intake and throttle body until you reached a desired RPM allowing the other throttle body to flip open yielding much more air intake. Wired kind of like nitrous where it only sprays when you reach the appropriate RPM level. Using throttle position instead of MAF... Just an idea sorry if its stupid!
Not stupid at all, thats how the lexus isf works.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:30 AM
mcarther101

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm impressed with 315 whp out of a rev-up, let alone 336 (albeit non-realistic HP).
Old 07-30-2009, 08:12 AM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz

P.S put your headers in production lol.
P.S.S

make hr headers
Old 07-30-2009, 08:28 AM
1cockyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P.S.S

make hr headers
Long tubes fit de or hr. Why is there header talk in the plenum thread? Oh I know why so when people use the search function or try to research something they have to wade through pages and pages of totally off topic and uninformed posts like this one....Forums the good, the bad, and the ugly. To keep this thing going why can't the hr intake work on a de. The head ports look like the same shape, has anyone tried fitting the hr lower to the de or vice versa. Is hood clearance an issue. I just looked over a bunch of hr intake pics and it has an internal design much like the cosworth except with rectangular ports. On the jwt site they give measurements and I measured the de ports, lets just say the hr ports are much larger. You can assemble an hr intake for less than a cosworth besides all the intake plumbing and tb's. You can tune with a single maf, its the tb signal that gets funny. But crawford did this a long long time ago so twin tb's on a de its doable. Anybody in nj with an hr want to come over and let me take their car apart, I'll put it back together. Some shop somewhere had to have tried this.

Last edited by 1cockyZ; 07-30-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:48 AM
warmmilk

SG said in another thread that they well make hr specific lg headers once the de's are in production. and a concern about clearance (around the steering knuckle) has been expressed about header fitment between the hr and de, thats why stillen had to make revisions to their shorty headers...
Old 07-30-2009, 11:40 AM
SexyRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is some cool pics concerning the HR plenum in case someone hasn't seen it.

http://jimwolftechnology.com/vq35hr/index.htm
Old 07-30-2009, 09:31 PM
vthao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. Good thinking guys! Wasn't there a thread of some ITB's made for this motor? Someone should produce ITB's for this thing! Good stuff
Old 07-30-2009, 09:37 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by vthao
Wow. Good thinking guys! Wasn't there a thread of some ITB's made for this motor? Someone should produce ITB's for this thing! Good stuff
Z1 had been planning on doing it and put forth some effort, but I think Adam ditched them to use the cosworth IM. Still might be worth exploring, but it will take some pretty serious R&D ($$$$$).

Last edited by 03threefiftyz; 07-30-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:02 PM
_ink

WOW! Looking forward to hearing about more developments in this!!

Very inspirational!
Old 07-31-2009, 12:28 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

+1, but there is only so much you can do when still using a maf set-up. It must be nice to tune via tps.
At that time I was running in MAP mode with a Haltech...

What do you mean tune via TPS?

-jb
Old 07-31-2009, 08:19 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by __jb
At that time I was running in MAP mode with a Haltech...

What do you mean tune via TPS?

-jb
I meant to say tune via throttle position.....

My goal was to see how much power the engine would make if we let the runners breathe fresh air, from no real collector. Just like ITBs. The ECU does not use a MAF and is tuned strictly by throttle position, so as long as the throttle body is still plugged in, it doesn't matter if there is a huge vac.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:20 AM
iFresh G35

itbs would be sick..

theres some great info in this thread
Old 07-31-2009, 12:16 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1cockyZ
Long tubes fit de or hr. Why is there header talk in the plenum thread? Oh I know why so when people use the search function or try to research something they have to wade through pages and pages of totally off topic and uninformed posts like this one....Forums the good, the bad, and the ugly. To keep this thing going why can't the hr intake work on a de. The head ports look like the same shape, has anyone tried fitting the hr lower to the de or vice versa. Is hood clearance an issue. I just looked over a bunch of hr intake pics and it has an internal design much like the cosworth except with rectangular ports. On the jwt site they give measurements and I measured the de ports, lets just say the hr ports are much larger. You can assemble an hr intake for less than a cosworth besides all the intake plumbing and tb's. You can tune with a single maf, its the tb signal that gets funny. But crawford did this a long long time ago so twin tb's on a de its doable. Anybody in nj with an hr want to come over and let me take their car apart, I'll put it back together. Some shop somewhere had to have tried this.
The ports are not the same shape on a DE vs HR

Can it be done? sure - would require a CNC'd adapter (a fairly beefy one too) to allow the HR manifold to the DE head. It's been done before, at least on one of the RJN race cars from the UK. No idea if it proved worthwhile, or any results. You then run into the issue of controlling the dual throttle bodies with the factory ecu. Again, doable yes, but not sure if its worth the time/money/effort. You would also need to double the injector size, which again just adds more $ to the equation. I'd suspect you have hood clearance issues as well

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 07-31-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:19 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Z1 had been planning on doing it and put forth some effort, but I think Adam ditched them to use the cosworth IM. Still might be worth exploring, but it will take some pretty serious R&D ($$$$$).

Effort and many, many thousands of dollars (with a few more many's)

I have since abandoned it. It would be cool to do, and I still may do it in the future, but it will something I do on my own. Right now, I am just focusing on pulling all the loose ends together to drive the car again I'm tired of just cleaning it lolol
Old 08-01-2009, 04:31 AM
snobes

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
The ports are not the same shape on a DE vs HR

Can it be done? sure - would require a CNC'd adapter (a fairly beefy one too) to allow the HR manifold to the DE head. It's been done before, at least on one of the RJN race cars from the UK. No idea if it proved worthwhile, or any results. You then run into the issue of controlling the dual throttle bodies with the factory ecu. Again, doable yes, but not sure if its worth the time/money/effort. You would also need to double the injector size, which again just adds more $ to the equation. I'd suspect you have hood clearance issues as well
i must be missing something here. why would this be?
Old 08-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

assuming you run dual MAF's, you would be doing so on an ecu designed to see 1
Old 08-02-2009, 09:39 AM
T_K

Nice test solution for the plenum volume problem. Theoretically the issue has a very simple solution, it's just the packaging that makes it near impossible to come up with anything practical. If the engine was on a test bench, it would be easy. Relocate throttle body in front of engine, facing forward, then expand the piping as it enters an airbox of 15-20 liters.

TK
Old 08-03-2009, 06:55 PM
350zDex

Wow amazing!!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 07:28 PM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

cant wait to see what you guys come up with. Should be very intersting.

Chris

Quick Reply: 336whp!?!?!!? Well sortof.... Crazy Plenum Test