Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

4.15L NA VQ Engine Build with Rebello and Zcargarge

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 12:14 PM
gabe3d

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TYEster
Interested and subscribing.

I'm hoping to finish my DE with a full I/H/E, cams and hopefully a tune to hit 300whp. Nothing too major because I decided against FI because I have a motorcycle that would would outperform anything less than $10k invested in this car.
Truly hitting 300whp which is a rough gain of 75whp or 35% is quite difficult to accomplish on a small budget. I might have hit 290whp on 91oct if I did complete my initial batch of upgrades and the price I spent was quite high. You can always use high ocatne and get there a little easier. Good luck in any case.

The speed and acceleration of sportbikes are on a different level compared to cars. I use to have a mildly built 00 gixxer 750 before it got stollen, so I know what you mean. A completely stock liter bike easily runs well under 10sec. For a car to be near that is gonna involve real deep pockets.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:01 PM
TYEster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gabe3d
Truly hitting 300whp which is a rough gain of 75whp or 35% is quite difficult to accomplish on a small budget. I might have hit 290whp on 91oct if I did complete my initial batch of upgrades and the price I spent was quite high. You can always use high ocatne and get there a little easier. Good luck in any case.

The speed and acceleration of sportbikes are on a different level compared to cars. I use to have a mildly built 00 gixxer 750 before it got stollen, so I know what you mean. A completely stock liter bike easily runs well under 10sec. For a car to be near that is gonna involve real deep pockets.
Well I hope to get at least close. It's just a daily driver.

And the bike is a highly modified ZX10 built for the roadcourse.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:03 PM
allmotorsedan

Well I looked at my transmission and there were 2 stamps that read CD0 #1 on the transmission case and on the rear tailhousing both on the drivers side. However, I did find a sticker on the passeger side, from what it looked like...it was very dirty and wrinkled, it said CD008. So I am going to call my parts guy at Infiniti tomorrow with a number that was on the sticker with CD008

Either way, I dont have problems going into gears and maybe a little nochiness. But coming from a super smooth weigthed shifting on an NA build integra GSR, this "notchiness" kinda feels normal...

I dont think I could top your build Gabe!!! I may eventually get a similar build but not as big and non-sleeved(3.8-3.9L) I as well am not looking for a high-revving "peaky" build. I more than likely will not go bigger than the Tomei 264/264 cams on my build...

Did that whining go away before you dropped the car off?
Old 09-21-2009, 07:13 AM
allmotorsedan

So I called my guy at Infiniti and he said the number I got off that sticker, was a no record found. He told me part #s are 10 digits, this one was 12digits. There are also no open recalls for my car and said that most of the earlier VQ problems didn't apply to mine because I'm a 2004.5

All the bugs such as OC, bad fueling sending units and leaking fuel tubes were not a problem on mine.

However, I do believe I have the CD0 #1 same tranny as Gabes, because there are 2 stamps on the transmission, but I do not experience the same problems
Old 09-21-2009, 01:37 PM
gabe3d

No, the whine or howling from the rear end is not gone yet and will be fixed after this is done.

I don't think there were any official recalls for the MT, just that a few people had issues there and here. Good thing is that you don't have any issues that bugs you, the bad thing is that you now know that there is a better transmission out there!
Old 09-21-2009, 02:24 PM
allmotorsedan

No, the whine or howling from the rear end is not gone yet and will be fixed after this is done.

I don't think there were any official recalls for the MT, just that a few people had issues there and here. Good thing is that you don't have any issues that bugs you, the bad thing is that you now know that there is a better transmission out there!
Well I knew there was not a recall for the transmission. I just wanted to know for myself if there was anything I could get done free, plus they will hook me up big time!!! I work for Bridgestone/Firestone so I get things at cost or less!!!

So the guys there know me,but like I said I don't have any problems so I'm not worried...
Old 09-21-2009, 02:28 PM
gabe3d

Originally Posted by allmotorsedan
Well I knew there was not a recall for the transmission. I just wanted to know for myself if there was anything I could get done free, plus they will hook me up big time!!! I work for Bridgestone/Firestone so I get things at cost or less!!!

So the guys there know me,but like I said I don't have any problems so I'm not worried...
Hmm...my tires on my 350z and Volvo are balding....
Old 09-21-2009, 06:40 PM
allmotorsedan

Gabe not every car is a racecar. BTW, why do you have so many cars? 2003 G, volvo, Z and an altima(?)... do you have a wife or kids who drive or do you like having a bunch of cars?
Old 09-21-2009, 07:01 PM
gabe3d

Volvo is a collector classic 1989 RWD 740 GL all NA power pushing maybe...80whp. Trust me, it's a skill to burnout in this car.

The Z I got it for real real cheap used.

The altima I bought a few months after I bought the G35 to share with the family. I rarely drive this car and it has 200k since 03!!

A good thing to have lots of car is the huge insurance discount.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:13 PM
allmotorsedan

Cool, actually I just did some work on a 2004 altima last week that had 243,000miles and the car looked brand new!!!! No rust, no body damage, interior was in excellent shape. I was very impressed.

I got a 1994 Buick Park Ave with 175k on it as my new DD. It was the mother-in-laws and they dont drive it anymore. So now my G doesnt have to see rain and snow ever again

anyway, enough about are junkers, back to your awesome NA build...
Old 09-24-2009, 02:09 PM
gabe3d

Small update on this project prior to the car being taken a apart. Zcargarage put my car on the dyno as is with the cosworth and Samco tube being the only difference and it pulled a whopping 259.92HP and 236.91 TQ, compared to my last run of 276hp and 251TQ. That is quite an amazing loss of power. However the weather is much hotter where some timing pulling probably occurred and the car is running extremely lean compared to my prior tune. My AFR at around 12pts, yield the best power results and now the car is over 13pts. Promising but not sure if it can compensate back for the 16hp/14tq loss. He will try to do a quick tune and not spend too much time since this is merely for additional info for people that may be interested in that plenum. He might also do a quick tune on the 3" MAF to see how that goes. I'll keep you guys up to date.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:28 PM
SexyRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:gasp: oh my... that is interesting info... afr going up means more/better air flow, but such a drop in hp/tq is odd def. let us know if some simple tuning gets that back, I may need to rethink my plans.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:31 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Small update on this project prior to the car being taken a apart. Zcargarage put my car on the dyno as is with the cosworth and Samco tube being the only difference and it pulled a whopping 259.92HP and 236.91 TQ, compared to my last run of 276hp and 251TQ. That is quite an amazing loss of power. However the weather is much hotter where some timing pulling probably occurred and the car is running extremely lean compared to my prior tune. My AFR at around 12pts, yield the best power results and now the car is over 13pts. Promising but not sure if it can compensate back for the 16hp/14tq loss. He will try to do a quick tune and not spend too much time since this is merely for additional info for people that may be interested in that plenum. He might also do a quick tune on the 3" MAF to see how that goes. I'll keep you guys up to date.
Whoa ............that's a staggering loss of power.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:51 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Wasn't this already made clear amongst/by the FI community that the Cosworth plenum will need tuning and a greater range of upper rpm in order to fully utilize its increase in air flow even N/A?
Old 09-24-2009, 03:14 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
Wasn't this already made clear amongst/by the FI community that the Cosworth plenum will need tuning and a greater range of upper rpm in order to fully utilize its increase in air flow even N/A?
Just FYI Chris.....his car has cams and he put it on in lieu of his new build being undertaken. He just put it on to give the community at large some concrete numbers on a minor NA build. . I think it was pretty well understood that it wouldn't benefit anything short of a full-build NA car like you said though.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:19 PM
gabe3d

^what mike said above.

I'm not saying that is a bad product, I'm just pointing out the fact that bolted into my car yielded those dramatic losses. I have seen pre and post dynos of the cosworth on NA cars with and without tune and I have yet to see anything this dramatic. Though most of them are stock vs cosworth. I have yet to see a spacer/mrev2 vs cosworth. I just thought the numbers were interesting and good for the community to know. I will update this thread later on when I hear back from Zcar.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:26 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Ah, got it. Thanks, guys.

I was surprised to see such a dramatic loss in power. But then again, your previous tune was optimized to make use of the airflow with the spacer/mrev2, whereas the Cosworth was just a bolt-on replacing the aforementioned combo.

Assuming that your previous tune, which is supposed to be relatively constant, is what caused the dip in power, would this also hold true for untuned N/A Zs? That is, if you were to install the Cosworth on untuned Z, would you see the same dramatic loss or would the stock ECU try to compensate for it?
Old 09-24-2009, 03:40 PM
gabe3d

I have seen only a total of five truly NA pre/post dynos (including those from cosworth), some tuned and others not. None of them yielded significant gains or losses under the stock redline. Stupid me for selling the spacer/mrev2 before I got the dyno. This could have removed a lot of unknowns.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:46 PM
gabe3d

Forgot to mention though. There was one dyno graph that was intriguing which was the one IP did on a NA 03 with spacer vs with cosworth. It picked up a solid 3-6whp from 2k-5.2k then nothing else beyond that. HP wise the gains were also similar in numbers.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:13 AM
allmotorsedan

That's pretty odd that you lost power especially with your breather mods. I've seen a dyno, I think its still on Cosworths website, of a stock DE gaining 17hp!! Its without a doubt a very good product, but this shows its obviously was made and performs well beyond just bolt-ons for NA VQ.

I've seen NA builds in the JDM-OPTION website, showing many VQs running factory or 35th annv collectors, and one running a spacer racing on the Fuji Raceway... To me, it seems like just a bling-factor for NA. Who knows, every engine and build will react differently from one another...

Quick Reply: 4.15L NA VQ Engine Build with Rebello and Zcargarge