Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

Need Help Please VQ35DE NA Build Track Car Not getting HP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 06:52 PM
Bigsyke

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1cockyZ
I would have went fluidampr on the crank pulley.
100%. This would've been the first thing ordered on my list.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:40 PM
dsm_mikey

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Another update on progress...

- Engine is out of the car
- Both exhaust cams were one tooth off for timing when we just checked with the engine out. Might be part of the power problems we were having!
-After pulling the headers, the headers do not appear to be Borla. Just some unknown brand of shorty header. The exhaust is some type of HKS dual knock off. I think this exhaust/header combo is costing some ponies. Going to order up a Motordyne XYZ pipe on Monday and probably a Agency Power 3" single exhaust.
- JWT Grand Am cams arrived and will be installed next week.
- Waiting on the PPE long tube headers, 75mm Throttle body, and the NISMO oil pump.
- Looking to pick the best 2.5" to 3" Y pipe for a single exhaust that will work with the PPE headers. Best appears to be Motordyne XYZ.

After looking more into this issue of missing hp, this is what we have discovered this far:

1. Exhaust camshafts were each off 1 tooth each.
2. What I initially thought were Borla headers turned out to be knock off shorty headers. The current Y pipe opening is only 2 1/4". The exhaust is a knock off HKS.
3. Kinetic SSV manifold that is currently on the car is a pretty poor design that may be costing hp.

So...addressing the above problems and adding larger camshafts, proper long tube headers, proper 2.5" to 3" Y pipe, 3" single exhaust, and adding the larger 75mm throttle body should make a world of difference!!!

Hoping to have everything put together and dyno tuned by Mid April.

Last edited by dsm_mikey; 03-22-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:45 AM
dsm_mikey

It is Mid-April and I wanted to take a moment to give a quick update on progress...

1. JWT Grand Am Cams (Springs as well) are installed in the engine.
2. NISMO Oil Pump is installed.
3. PPE Headers are built and arrived today.
4. Still waiting on the DW 440cc injectors, NWP Throttle Body, Motordyne Y Pipe, and Agency Power 3" single exhaust.
5. Engine should be back in the car early next week.
6. As long as the injectors, throttle body, mid pipe and exhaust are in by late this week, we should be assembled and ready to run by late next week or early the following week.

Mike

Last edited by dsm_mikey; 04-14-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:39 AM
dsm_mikey

One more update to add:

Yesterday i stopped by Mueller Motorwerks (MMW) Located in Kohler, WI to drop off the PPE stainless headers (The headers look sweet btw...) and the tech that is installing the JWT Grand Am cams noticed something...

The pin on the right bank Intake Cam Phaser that is on the intake cam was missing! That might explain why the exhaust cams were off one tooth each, it also might explain why the car was not making the power it should have before these additional modifications below.

On a quick side note...

I am really glad I took my 350z to MMW. They have a Nissan factory trained technician that is a whiz with these VQ engines!!! His name is Louis and has been working on Nissan's for many years. He noticed a lot of little things on my engine that he was able to fix. The dowel pin on the intake cam phaser was a BIG one! They have a Mustang Dyno onsite and can tune UPREV. I am also having them put in a cage and lighten the car once the engine is dialed in. Great guy, Great company...HIGHLY recommend!!! If you own a 350Z, 370Z, GTR and live in Wisconsin go there! I just cannot recommend MMW enough!

Back to it...

A new intake cam phaser is ordered and should be in today.

-Almost all parts are in now. The only things we are waiting on are: Motordyne XYZ pipe, DW 440cc injectors, and the Agency Power Single exhaust.

Really excited to get this engine bolted together and in the car. Getting closer everyday. Really hoping that this car will make power. Here is a run down of all of the final pieces in this build:

1. Built VQ35DE Non-Revup motor. Assembled by Import Part Pros (Eagle Rods, Wiesco 11:1 Pistons, Light Head Porting, HR Head Gasket, etc...)
2. NISMO Oil Pump
3. Stock Crank Pulley
4. Jim Wolf Technology Grand Am Cams Intake: 297 11.5mm Lift Exhaust: 289 11.0 MM Lift JWT Springs, JWT Adjustable Exhaust Cam Gears
5. NWP 75MM Throttle Body
6. DW 440cc Fuel Injectors
7. Kinetix Velocity Intake Manifold (Will test against various combinations of stock revup, non revup, with spacer, etc...and possibly a newer option...)
8. PPE Longtube Stepped Headers with Merge Collector
9. Motordyne XYZ Y Pipe
10. Agency Power 3" Single Exhaust
11. UPREV Tune 7500-7700 RPM Rev Limit (Determined by Power band)

Really excited to have everything back together, tuned and running. The first track day at Road America is on May 2. Really hoping to have it for that weekend.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:18 AM
Fixxxercask

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck man! Road America is an awesome track. I've only run there once. I'd love to go again. Such a nice track and facility.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:15 PM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Man... looking at some of the suggestions in this thread looked painfully expensive. I had very similar issues when I first built mine. Started at 250 at the wheels and ended around 290-300 with very minor "corrections" to the setup.

First things first make sure the are no problems...yes you'd be surprised. Troubleshoot the basics like CELs, air leaks, etc.

I found that the stock fuel system wasn't an issue at the modest power levels (but I did feel the pump could use a bump in output to keep up). The stock intake, however was an issue. The non rev-up intake was setup for the bottom end. It just doesn't make much power above the stock rev limit. I tried the spacer, but ended up settling on the Rev-up manifold and a redline around 7500. Like you, there just wasn't enough air getting in the engine to benefit from more fuel and revs. With the Rev-up manifold the power under the curve took a massive hit (upwards of 15+ hp at places). But being I only cared about peak figures as it relates to the track, I'm not gonna be at or around 3500 rpm (at least on purpose) a whole lot getting around a track. On the street is a different story... that's probably the most used section of the power band. As far as the rev-up manifold, I was still pulling a pretty good amount of vacuum at the intake manifold, telling me there was power still on the table and lost totally from the manifold to the filter.

Another area where a big jump in power came from was a good tune. Never tried a tune by mail, but once the boys at Church's got a hold of the car they did wonders, (possibly too aggressive) but I asked them to get aggressive. In a recent teardown I found the forged pistons saw some pretty high temps, likely from the edgy tune. They held up, but just barely... don't think they'll be going back in.

I learned a lot searching for those final 15 or so horses, but I'm happy I did it.

Last edited by Zazz93; 04-20-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:21 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by dsm_mikey

1. Exhaust camshafts were each off 1 tooth each.
Did your car miss or hesitate? Was there any incinitation your timing was off?
Old 04-20-2015, 05:39 PM
dsm_mikey

Originally Posted by Conway_160
Did your car miss or hesitate? Was there any incinitation your timing was off?
Car did not miss or hesitate. Just did not feel "happy". Also did not make expected power with the modifications that were done.

I drove a Eagle Talon tsi that had its timing off once several years prior. Same problem...even though it was turbocharged, it just didn't feel right. I immediately thought of this Talon that had its timing off when I drove the Z.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:28 PM
Conway_160

Received 341 Likes on 280 Posts

Ok thanks.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:41 AM
dsm_mikey

Does anyone have any experience with the Momentum Cold Air Intake with the integrated MAF Mounting? Will this intake work well with my modifications?

-Is this Momentum intake the best available for what I need or is there something better?

-This is the intake Z1 recommended for me last year. I purchased it, but have not installed it yet because of interference with my external oil cooler. We can get it to work with some alterations. I realize Momentum is out of business. It appears that they did make some quality parts.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:05 AM
Zazz93

Sorry, I missed your post on finding a problem with the cam dowel... funny thing, I did something similar to mine.

As for the intake, I can't imagine its too much better or worse and most of the other stuff on the market but I've never used it.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:31 AM
dsm_mikey

Originally Posted by Zazz93
Sorry, I missed your post on finding a problem with the cam dowel... funny thing, I did something similar to mine.

As for the intake, I can't imagine its too much better or worse and most of the other stuff on the market but I've never used it.
How did you catch the cam dowel problem? If we weren't changing cams, probably would not have found it.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:10 PM
1cockyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I built the same intake but in 3.5", pics are in my build thread. Needs to be tuned for larger maf housing.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:37 PM
Zazz93

Originally Posted by dsm_mikey
How did you catch the cam dowel problem? If we weren't changing cams, probably would not have found it.

I caught mine on accident as well, was running into issue with tuning and wanted to double-check the timing. Pulled it off and remembered a snap/slap when I was torqueing it originally so I inspected it and found the gouge.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:35 AM
dsm_mikey

New UPDATE 1 May 2015:

Car will not be ready for Road America this weekend .

1. Engine is in the car. There is a clearance issue with the header and the steering shaft. This is being resolved today.

2. All parts have arrived with the exception of the Agency Power exhaust. Concept Z said they had "several in stock". They Lied. I asked three different times if they are on the shelf or if they were drop shipping from the manufacturer. (This exhaust is back ordered through June.) They tried to drop ship...guess what??? BACK ORDERED-NO **** DUDE!!! I absolutely hate companies that represent that a product is something they have in stock when it isn't.

Sooooo...having said this we are looking for another option for the exhaust. Probably an AAM single or Tomei Titanium Single.

Car should be fired up and running this weekend without an exhaust. Possible tuning by next week when an exhaust arrives. Need to make sure everything is good to go with 0 leaks or issues.

I am somewhat excited to see how she runs. Major changes since last year (JWT GA Cams replaced JWT S2 cams, PPE Long tubes replaced ebay shorties, Proper 3" Single exhaust replaced Knockoff HKS exhaust, NWP 75mm throttle body replaced stocker among other minor changes)...and a MAJOR problem found (Dowel pin on Driver's side Intake cam phaser was found to be missing. Also-Both exhaust cams were each 1 tooth off for timing.)

The car never seemed "happy" running. Hopefully, this year things will be different.

Once we get the engine tuned and "happy" we will swap out different intake manifolds to find what combination works best for this particular set up. Also...other changes are planned:

1. Additionally lighten the front of the car by hopefully a full 100 lbs. (Car is already gutted, doors gutted, no door windows, no radio, etc...)
-Remove Heater core and associated plumbing
-Gut the dash and what's behind it. (Leave all crash/structural components in place)
-Lighter battery
-Anything else we can in the front!

2. Install proper certified cage. This will be done by the professionals of MMW (Mueller Motorwerks) They make AWESOME cages that are literal works of art!

3. Possible suspension upgrade. Currently running KW 1's, Looking at some Motion Control Coilovers. MMW recommends and sells these, so I may try out a set before the end of the year.

-Maybe, Maybe run TT3 for 1 or 2 races this year.

Really excited to have a good track season this year.

-Really glad to have a backup car to run this weekend! Thankfully we have a RX8 to run! The 350z isn't ready and neither is the Z06...waiting on the heads to get back from CA for the Z06!

The RX8 is mostly stock (SS Brake Lines Carbotech XP12 pads, Upgraded Radiator, AEM Intake, Aftermarket exhaust-no cat, and upgraded water pump, Mazda Maniac tune), but it's a fun little car that will at least allow me to get out on the track this weekend at Road America. I haven't started it in 2 years! I took it to MMW on Monday and it has fresh oil, fresh coolant, fresh brake fluid, tested and ready to run!

Sooo...hopefully we will have some hard data in the next week or two as to what all of these changes did for this 2005 350z Non-RevUP. Hoping for some big gains, but I want to be a realist as well. I realize the DE motors just don't make top-end power that we all hope for. I am hoping this path of parts is a good one.

Last edited by dsm_mikey; 05-01-2015 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:10 PM
Rico515

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update on your track days with the Z?
Old 10-28-2015, 02:34 AM
SoCal_VQ

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan
mikey
You will never get any serious power increase with the JWT S2 camshafts fitted
The S2's have a inlet cam duration only 5.5 degrees longer (@ .050) & less than half a mm more lift than the stock revup cam.
The revup motor never made as much HP as the original DE motor up to about 6200RPM
It did reach a peak hp of about 13 more at 6400K
At peak TQ the revup was down 14 ft/lb on the non revup.

So despite revup having 9.5 degrees extra cam duration & 1 full mm of extra lift over the non revup it made less power at every rpm below 6200K.
Also to achieve that small HP increase at the last 1000k the revup used shorter intake runners & a new short tube exhaust manifold.

Now to summarise. The S2 cams is very close in spec to the revup cams but you are using a SSV intake that has longer runners than the original DE motor so it is no surprise that the peak HP is no better than stock. The small increase in compression while certainly helpful, is not likely to add much to the current setup.

The original JWT GA cams (spec sheet no longer published on JWT site) was an early to mid 2000's cam that from memory had a long duration but small lift cam that met the Grand Am regs at the time. And those cars wern't running up the pointy end.
If your car is a dedicated track car, the new JWT piston/cam selection mentioned by T-dizee IMO is the way go.
You will need to shorten the runners on the SSV & enlarge the plenum. ( a good sheet metal worker should be able to do that fairly inexpensively) JWT may be able to give you an ideal runner length for the above cam.
If budget is a problem you can use a set of Ebay long tubes with the collectors cut off and replaced with Burns or similar collectors
With a Haltec and a good tune the above modifications will get you above your desired 20% increase in power
This is all false information. Anyone with half a brain knows a stock rev up will destroy a stock non rev up. Fully bolt on both and tune and the de non rev can't touch the rev up. These are facts
Old 04-11-2017, 10:53 AM
dsm_mikey

Little bit of an update...fast forward 2years!!

-Still 0 track time!

Previous shop gave up on the car and sent it in non-running condition to a new shop that performed complete rebuild and tuning...high marks to Quantum Performance in Fredonia, WI that tackled this job properly!!! Ask for Aaron when you call, he is very knowledgeable about the Z's...he is a Nissan Master technician. http://quantum-performance.com/ 262.823.2760 You can tell him Mike with the 350Z sent you over...

We decided to change engines. The built engine will be torn down this year and rebuilt to rev to 7800 rpm since it has the NISMO oil pump, forged internals, etc... Probably going with C9's or C10 cams for that build.

On to the pieced together stockish VQ35DE...

-Rebuilt engine
-Stock bottom end from a REV UP (Pistons, rods, block, crankshaft)
-Stock Non-Revup Heads
-Upgraded ARP Rod Bolts
-New Bearings
-New rings, etc...
-Revup Oil Pump
-PPE Longtube headers
-Single 3 " Agency Power Exhaust
-JWT C8 Cams and Springs
with stock throttle body, upper intake manifold, *ported revup lower, and Momentum intake and UPREV dyno tuning...

-331 WHP on a Mustang Dyno!!

Fuel cut is set to 7000 rpm due to the stock rotating assembly. Needless to say I am very pleased with the numbers based upon the relatively mild cams and low 7000 RPM redline. It is still increasing power at fuel cut. I will try and post the dyno chart in the next couple days.

-Going to be adding and retesting with larger NWP Throttle Body, Z1 Mspec RACE Intake, and CockyZ's Larger Upper intake manifold elbow...Hoping for maybe 10-15 HP more...will update once these parts are installed and tested.

I am excitement!

Last edited by dsm_mikey; 04-11-2017 at 10:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dsm_mikey:
Fixxxercask (04-12-2017), guitman32 (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 06:07 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Nice update, solid.

Are you keeping up with what Sasha at On Point Dyno (SG Motorsports) is doing these days?
Old 05-15-2017, 04:35 PM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Any reason why you are going for the NWP throttle body over the Maxima one?

Quick Reply: Need Help Please VQ35DE NA Build Track Car Not getting HP!!