Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

Engine Build Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 02:14 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

OK, here's my full analysis from the neutral, middle ground (or "how a lay person might read it"):

I'd spend the money on going to an actual track and learning driving techniques with instructors with stock power instead of hooning on the canyons and street racing.

Choice of the word "hooning" and "street racing" may have been a bit presumptive but besides that, not bad advice. Even for experienced, trained drivers, "learning" (or re-learning) isn't bad advice. I know that for certain despite multiple driving schools and a few years of W2W, still need more training & practice.

Hard parking at parking lots and going to meets, um You can do that without a built motor, I'm not understanding your logic here.

"Hard parking".... same logic as above, words may be presumptive; but the advice on the "unbuilt motor" is pretty sound (other than it's a semi-dedicated track car - in which case, a slightly built, up to the limit of the class rules if competition or maybe slightly more built to suit you in non-compete HPDE is called for. Point is, rebuilding the existing motor with a little more cam, compression, tune, might be the right ticket.)

Building a motor is not a quick slap it in process. It's highly encouraged to change the water/oil pump, timing chain, run good head gaskets and ARP hardware. And since you are in an area that you can't work on your car, it will be difficult.

This is just solid advice.

If its not a daily and you do plan to build it, I would suggest doing it the more sensible way getting a reputable shop to replace with another stock motor or replace with a built block, and tune it.

Ibid above.

So all in all, don't see anything here to get too riled about other than the presumptions pointed out.

In any event, let's just all put it behind us, ya? OK folks, break it up, break it up, nuttin' to see here, move along.....
Old 09-20-2017, 02:28 PM
GarniZ33

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BluestreamDE
If you really want to laugh your *** off about something it's how you poorly maintained your vehicle in the first place to get to the point would where you burn oil soo quickly. Your compression must be damn near non existent.

But if meets and occasional hooning is your goal, wasting money on a built motor you will fail to maintain thru regular oil checks is an idiotic decision.

Get another stock motor and "Slap it in" Learn from your mistakes and stop being an emotional person being triggered and responding with 3 posts because you think I'm a meanie, and understand the context of my comment.
To be honest, your lack of logic already shows why you're so worked up. As stated above, the car is going to be primarily used for track days. Everything else is just every now and then when I go out with my car club. But you're fixated on me being a street racer and a hoon. Who hurt you?

yah, yah I'm sure, the oil burning is because of me not knowing how to maintian a car😂

Have a good one dude, hopefully we run into each other at a track because I'd love to bruise your big ego
Old 09-20-2017, 02:30 PM
GarniZ33

Youre absolutely right Mic, I apologize to blue Z dude and the forum for losing my cool a bit. Just can't stand people who make assumptions without knowing anything.

Ill definitely update and post what I end up doing with my Z!
Originally Posted by MicVelo
OK, here's my full analysis from the neutral, middle ground (or "how a lay person might read it"):

I'd spend the money on going to an actual track and learning driving techniques with instructors with stock power instead of hooning on the canyons and street racing.

Choice of the word "hooning" and "street racing" may have been a bit presumptive but besides that, not bad advice. Even for experienced, trained drivers, "learning" (or re-learning) isn't bad advice. I know that for certain despite multiple driving schools and a few years of W2W, still need more training & practice.

Hard parking at parking lots and going to meets, um You can do that without a built motor, I'm not understanding your logic here.

"Hard parking".... same logic as above, words may be presumptive; but the advice on the "unbuilt motor" is pretty sound (other than it's a semi-dedicated track car - in which case, a slightly built, up to the limit of the class rules if competition or maybe slightly more built to suit you in non-compete HPDE is called for. Point is, rebuilding the existing motor with a little more cam, compression, tune, might be the right ticket.)

Building a motor is not a quick slap it in process. It's highly encouraged to change the water/oil pump, timing chain, run good head gaskets and ARP hardware. And since you are in an area that you can't work on your car, it will be difficult.

This is just solid advice.

If its not a daily and you do plan to build it, I would suggest doing it the more sensible way getting a reputable shop to replace with another stock motor or replace with a built block, and tune it.

Ibid above.

So all in all, don't see anything here to get too riled about other than the presumptions pointed out.

In any event, let's just all put it behind us, ya? OK folks, break it up, break it up, nuttin' to see here, move along.....
Old 09-20-2017, 02:53 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Bridge
Water

(That's shorthand for "water under the bridge". )

OK, so, this thread taught me some stuff and caused me a bit of mirthful smirking. Y'see, I didn't know what "hooning" and "hard parking" were other than picking up the context. (Whatever it is surely isn't good... hahahaha.)

Wikipeterson (via Googo) say:

"Hoon activities can include speeding, burnouts, doughnuts or screeching tyres. Those commonly identified as being involved in "hooning" or street racing are young and predominantly male, although increasingly female, drivers in the age range of 17 and 35 years."

Ah ha..... so why's it funny to me?

Well, have no clue where it comes from but I'd give a high probability of the term being coined by someone who speaks/understands Cantonese. For the word "hoon" in that tongue means "A$$". As in "what one makes of oneself doing that stuff on the street."

And "hard parking", well, my mind-in-the-gutter suggested the activities I indulged in with my then-girlfriend atop a hill overlooking the lights of San Francisco. Usually followed by a pair of blue ones.

Sorry.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:00 PM
GarniZ33

Haha! Makes sense to me 😂
Bridge
Water

(That's shorthand for "water under the bridge". )

OK, so, this thread taught me some stuff and caused me a bit of mirthful smirking. Y'see, I didn't know what "hooning" and "hard parking" were other than picking up the context. (Whatever it is surely isn't good... hahahaha.)

Wikipeterson (via Googo) say:

"Hoon activities can include speeding, burnouts, doughnuts or screeching tyres. Those commonly identified as being involved in "hooning" or street racing are young and predominantly male, although increasingly female, drivers in the age range of 17 and 35 years."

Ah ha..... so why's it funny to me?

Well, have no clue where it comes from but I'd give a high probability of the term being coined by someone who speaks/understands Cantonese. For the word "hoon" in that tongue means "A$$". As in "what one makes of oneself doing that stuff on the street."

And "hard parking", well, my mind-in-the-gutter suggested the activities I indulged in with my then-girlfriend atop a hill overlooking the lights of San Francisco. Usually followed by a pair of blue ones.

Sorry.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:59 PM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by GarniZ33
Youre absolutely right Mic, I apologize to blue Z dude and the forum for losing my cool a bit. Just can't stand people who make assumptions without knowing anything.

Ill definitely update and post what I end up doing with my Z!

Thank God.. I couldn't function properly for the last 15 hours because of this.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:01 PM
GarniZ33

Im terribly sorry my good sir, may my apology fix your crappy day and allow you to function again

Originally Posted by Atreyu'z 350
The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 04:02 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Let it go. He apologized. And that takes a bigger person to do that.
The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 04:13 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

alright everyone, bring it in, group hug
The following 2 users liked this post by bealljk:
Atreyu'z 350 (09-20-2017), bad boyz (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 04:19 PM
Atreyu'z 350

Im terribly sorry my good sir, may my apology fix your crappy day and allow you to function again
Yes, it just might.. Also, I would like you to give me your car, plus $8500 for having to deal with this stressful situation all day.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:20 PM
Atreyu'z 350

Let it go. He apologized. And that takes a bigger person to do that.

...but.. it's so hard...
Old 09-20-2017, 05:00 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by bealljk
alright everyone, bring it in, group hug
Am I too late for the reach around?
Old 09-20-2017, 07:09 PM
GarniZ33

Group huddle everyone, my350Z on the count of 3

1...2...my motor is burning oil... 3!

Thinking about putting my bikes motor into the Z instead

Old 09-20-2017, 08:32 PM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Have a good one dude, hopefully we run into each other at a track because I'd love to bruise your big ego
Sounds good. I don't have an ego, you asked what would we do in your situation. I answered your question even giving additional advice while speaking direct and to the point. Good luck with whatever you decide with your car.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:40 PM
bad boyz

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

At the end of the day everyone got to express himself and come to a cool, calm resolution I think my work is done here carry on.....
Old 09-21-2017, 05:56 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Group huddle everyone, my350Z on the count of 3

1...2...my motor is burning oil... 3!

Thinking about putting my bikes motor into the Z instead

Old 09-21-2017, 06:01 AM
GarniZ33

thanks brotha! Terminator would've been in trouble if this was involved
Old 09-21-2017, 06:09 AM
GodISmE

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sell the whole car and buy an HR. Upgrade wheels and suspension, add an oil cooler, bucket seats and a 5-point harness bar. Upgrade the VLSD if you are very serious about shaving off tens of seconds from your lap times. Shorter gears (3,9 if you still want to drive the car outside of a track) would also be cool but you can leave it for later. ESP kiilswitch is needed for a track. At least DS2500 pads and good fluid, e.g. RBF660. That's all!

You will have a very quick and reliable track car which can be driven daily or during weekends only if you want! I do that with mine!

Last edited by GodISmE; 09-21-2017 at 06:18 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:52 AM
GarniZ33

It's a tad bit too late to get an HR. Why join em' when I beat em? 272 whp, half tank+me 2980lbs

I have coils, Bushings, sways, arms, 4.08 gears, quaief, oil cooler and everything else you named on my Z, I don't need to daily it. Have a 2016 Camry for that

my Z's full bolt ons, tuned, Gears, gutted, buckets, caged, suspesnion, wheels/tires and corner balanced. It's a toy that gets driven/tracked when time allows
Old 09-21-2017, 07:02 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Am I too late for the reach around?

Never.. but I'm larger than 6 inches, if that's ok with you...?