Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

Potential future Z owner (questions)...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 11:06 AM
ginobetterfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential future Z owner (questions)...

Hey guys, so i dont have a Z (yet) and this is my first post, but i have been lurking around this forum for the last 4-5 months or so...

... I would LOVE to get a Z and I have some questions...

A little bit of info on me first:
-I just graduated college and got a job that pays a little under 4k a month
-I have about 20k of student loans i got to pay back
-I commute to work on the freeway everyday (about 50 miles/day). My current ride, a 2000 tacoma truck (16.5 mpg), is not that practical for this. I have read that the Z gets good gas millage (one guy posted he got 30mpg!!!) I will however be keeping the truck.
-I have no kids, and i dont really care about the lack of back seats in the Z.
-I dont pay rent.
-I love to go fast(in a safe manner) and love cars and modifying them(as long as i have money), and i LOVE the Z (i recently test drove one).
-I will be making monthly payments on the Z.
-I dream about the Z and literally painfully twist my neck when one drives by me.

My questions:
1. Is the Z the right car for me or should i just drive my truck and save? I think I can pull off the payments and not get into too much debt.
2. Which are the best models to look at? 2005, 2006, 2007??? I realize of course that the latter will be progressively more expensive... Are there some years that I should stay away from?
3. Which year is the fastest, most "punchiest" Z(besides of course the 2007)?
4. Should i buy from dealer and make payments? Should i buy from private party and take out a loan? Should i buy a brand new 07?
5. Should i lease a brand new 07? I did however want to lower it and get new wheels and tires right off the bat and im not sure i am allowed to do this with a lease? Am I?
6. SHOULD I BUY A Z(based on all that i mentioned)?

Thats it for now i guess... I realize there is no right/wrong answer to some of these and this is MY decision only and no one elses, but OPINIONS and suggestions are most welcome. I would love to hear from anyone, especially people that used to be in my situation that pulled the trigger and got a Z or waited...

Anyways thanks alot in advance, and hopefully i can join all of you soon as a fellow Z owner...

Last edited by ginobetterfly; 07-30-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:45 AM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good to see you've been lurking. Things to keep in mind are those incidentals like tyres, servicing, etc.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:27 AM
JDMFairladyZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little bit of info on me first:
-I just graduated college and got a job that pays a little under 4k a month
-I have about 20k of student loans i got to pay back
-I commute to work on the freeway everyday (about 50 miles/day). My current ride, a 2000 tacoma truck (16.5 mpg), is not that practical for this. I have read that the Z gets good gas millage (one guy posted he got 30mpg!!!) I will however be keeping the truck.
-I have no kids, and i dont really care about the lack of back seats in the Z.
-I dont pay rent.
-I love to go fast(in a safe manner) and love cars and modifying them(as long as i have money), and i LOVE the Z (i recently test drove one).
-I will be making monthly payments on the Z.
-I dream about the Z and literally painfully twist my neck when one drives by me.

My questions:
1. Is the Z the right car for me or should i just drive my truck and save? I think I can pull off the payments and not get into too much debt.

Assuming you get paid bi-monthly, if you can't fit your car and all your housing and related costs in one paycheck then you might be in too much car. Also if you are spending 15-20% of your monthly on a car then you might want to reconsider. Few years back when my salary was in the $45k-$55k salary range, I didnt feel comfortable in buying a $20-$25k car. Remember, $20k without APR in consideration is already $333/mon. Every $1000 will add about $20-$30 dollars to your monthly payments. You also have to factor in insurance, gas and all the maintenance cost. The Z is not really cheap in either departments.

2. Which are the best models to look at? 2005, 2006, 2007??? I realize of course that the latter will be progressively more expensive... Are there some years that I should stay away from?

03-04s had the most problems, but every year had it's issues. I had a 03 and it treated me pretty well. Always go for the newer year if you can afford it.

3. Which year is the fastest, most "punchiest" Z(besides of course the 2007)?

03-05 - More torque less hp
06 Rev Up - More Hp less torque
07 HR - More everything

4. Should i buy from dealer and make payments? Should i buy from private party and take out a loan? Should i buy a brand new 07?

There's no difference in rates buying from dealer or taking a loan out yourself unless there are special incentive rates like 0%, .9%, 4.9% ...etc. Most of this will be based off of your credit score. Private party will most of the time be a little cheaper. What you buy and what year is really up to your budget and preferences.

5. Should i lease a brand new 07? I did however want to lower it and get new wheels and tires right off the bat and im not sure i am allowed to do this with a lease? Am I?

Leasing is only for people with good credit. I personally do not like leasing due to the higher money factor rates and the possibilities of having neg. equity at the end of the term. You can do whatever you want to a lease if you choose to trade the car in, but if you are returning it you must do so the way it was given to you.

6. SHOULD I BUY A Z(based on all that i mentioned)?

The Z burn preimium gas and you'll get about 17-19 mpg city/mixed. You're not going to see mid to high 20's unless you do a lot of hwy driving. Since you are not paying rent why don't you use this time to pay off your student loans first? It'll be harder later when you have more bills and debts. I for one think you need to hold off. But it's your money dont let other's decide how to spend it.