Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

'03 Base Model.......with FACTORY LEATHER SEATS?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Leonhart Z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 Base Model.......with FACTORY LEATHER SEATS?!

I'm in the market for a Z (coming from a 240SX) and I do NOT want a Base Model.......this guy at the dealer swears up and down it's an '03 Enthusiast but I looks like a base model to me but it has Factory Manual Leather Seats?!

Help please, I don't want a 1st year run base.

Car in Question, http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ce=&cardist=10
Old 12-13-2008, 03:59 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a base, no cruise control.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:12 PM
dozzer1b

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
It's a base, no cruise control.
+1
Old 12-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Leonhart Z33

Well.......what am I missing (besides LSD)? or should I cool down and wait for a good one?

The price I'm getting is NOT the price in the ad, by a long shot.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Stay away from an '03 they had mad problems.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Leonhart Z33

Stay away from an '03 they had mad problems.
I heard about them but nobody tells me WHAT they are.......I got Z Fever (like many other 240 drivers)
Old 12-13-2008, 04:39 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Base.

Cool your jets & wait.

For more on models of Z, search..............
Old 12-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Leonhart Z33

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
Base.

Cool your jets & wait.

For more on models of Z, search..............
Looks like I'll have to.......I'm sure after January the prices on REAL non base models will come down more.

How the hell did a Base model get factory leather in it?!?
Old 12-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Originally Posted by Leonhart Z33
I heard about them but nobody tells me WHAT they are.......I got Z Fever (like many other 240 drivers)
Tire feathering
Creaks, rattles
window grease streaks
Transmission failure

Word of advise... if you are a teen don't tell anyone here.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Leonhart Z33

Tire feathering
Creaks, rattles
window grease streaks
Transmission failure

Word of advise... if you are a teen don't tell anyone here.
27, just ready for something with a "200" in the model year and I'm a Nissan guy and like the looks of a Z (as well as the bang for buck factor) .......seeing how I have the last S Chassis already I might move up to a Z.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:53 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

after market leather was installed.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:59 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Pass pass pass, not worth the headache!

2003 Base MODEL= You don't get:

1. LSD
2. TCS or VDC
3. Cruise
4. Vanity Mirrors
5. HID headlights
6. upgraded pedal covers (forgot the name of them)

So PASS!
Old 12-13-2008, 07:05 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I used to enjoy “What model is this? until I found this site:

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowl...html?catid=253

Now everyone can figure it out.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Leonhart Z33

Thank to all of you for keeping me out of a huge mistake, I'll just bide my time till after Jan when the 370 drops and see how prices are then.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:06 AM
eesnas

I'm in the market for a Z (coming from a 240SX) and I do NOT want a Base Model.......this guy at the dealer swears up and down it's an '03 Enthusiast but I looks like a base model to me but it has Factory Manual Leather Seats?!

Help please, I don't want a 1st year run base.

Car in Question, http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ce=&cardist=10

I think it's ok to know what you want and if you don't want a base then you should wait. My thing, I was hoping for an enthusiast package but when shopping for a used car really the most important thing is the condition of the vehicle. I had my choice of several enthusiast models, a grand touring, and a base, the base model was in much better condition than the others by far and the decision was almost a no brainer just because of the lower mileage. I think maybe the options are nice like the TCS and a factory LSD but in the end it's the same 3.5l engine, I think when buying used options should be a secondary consideration to condition and how it feels on the road. New car shopping is different, but with used cars it's like eating other peoples leftovers- reagrdless of what you get you don't want the plate that fell on the floor, or in this case a car that needs repairs or was in a well-hidden accident. When I was out looking I saw a lot of peculiar things with the clear coat peeling on one, headlight 'weirdness' on another, and the general oversrpay, you need to look carefully before settling on anything as the dealer will play dumb when you find the evidence the car was repainted. I know most cars do get in accidents but when you cannot get a clear answer on what exactly was fixed is when I'd walk away, I looked at a GT model where I know something was painted and I didn't know if it was just the fender or the whole right side at different times, there was enough evidence to support either theory.

Based on the items here sounds like you should skip an 03 anyways I'd place condition of the vehicle above options, meaning go look and drive all of them and pick the nicest one, you'll know when you find it almost immediately. It's not so much that cloth seats are so wonderful, I just think the leather they use is unimpressive, after seeing a few of these in person I was quick to find the enthusiast package was nice but not necassary and my main interest was the engine and the body as it's not really a luxury car. I think either way you'll be happy, just don't get too eager and if you really find the options to be important then wait for one that is in good condition, a lot of these cars get thrashed by their first owners so you might find 1 out of 5 is not beat on. Also keep in mind that if the car has 50k miles on it that at 60k you'll need a timing belt, you might want to consider this in the price or even mention it when negotiating, definitely on a 60k+ mile model ask for proof the work was done. I bought a 2004 with 34k on it so I have some time before I will need a belt change, I wasn't looking for a base model but the condition on the one I bought was just immaculate and the drive was far better than all others I drove , I simply was unable to leave it on the lot the damn thing looks and feels brand new!

For me, after looking at 4 or 5 of these in person, it came down to 2 that seemed like I could get the same price on both.
-a 2004 enthusiast AT with 50k miles on it and a small 'knocking' on the front that faintly reminded me of a suspension problem I had on my old 3 series a few years ago in it's early stages. Body was good, just a small noise in the front that seemed familiar to a problem on my old car... Also had a few very normal looking used car scratches but nothing bad of questionable, just normal useage type markings.
-a 2004 base MT with 34k miles on it that I still have not found anything wrong with, not even a scratch. Oh, looks like something may have spilled on a seat at one point but they cleaned it. Drove so damn tight and looks brand new, MT was actually something I was hoping for but not necassary so this was nice to see, if it were AT I may have skipped it because a base model MT would have been tough to swallow (not even sure if they make an AT base).

I chose the base because the miles were lower and it drove better, the feel of the car was head and shoulders above all the other ones I drove, of course this is due to the prior owners and really has nothing to do with the trim. In some ways we always have to comprimise somewhere when buying used, I would have bought an AT but only if it had the enthusiast or touring package, for the MT I didn't mind not having leather my main sacrifice on the base was not having TCS, but the condition of the car was the top criteria for me.

Last edited by eesnas; 12-14-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Leonhart Z33

Originally Posted by eesnas
I think it's ok to know what you want and if you don't want a base then you should wait. My thing, I was hoping for an enthusiast package but when shopping for a used car really the most important thing is the condition of the vehicle. I had my choice of several enthusiast models, a grand touring, and a base, the base model was in much better condition than the others by far and the decision was almost a no brainer just because of the lower mileage. I think maybe the options are nice like the TCS and a factory LSD but in the end it's the same 3.5l engine, I think when buying used options should be a secondary consideration to condition and how it feels on the road. New car shopping is different, but with used cars it's like eating other peoples leftovers- reagrdless of what you get you don't want the plate that fell on the floor, or in this case a car that needs repairs or was in a well-hidden accident. When I was out looking I saw a lot of peculiar things with the clear coat peeling on one, headlight 'weirdness' on another, and the general oversrpay, you need to look carefully before settling on anything as the dealer will play dumb when you find the evidence the car was repainted. I know most cars do get in accidents but when you cannot get a clear answer on what exactly was fixed is when I'd walk away, I looked at a GT model where I know something was painted and I didn't know if it was just the fender or the whole right side at different times, there was enough evidence to support either theory.

Based on the items here sounds like you should skip an 03 anyways I'd place condition of the vehicle above options, meaning go look and drive all of them and pick the nicest one, you'll know when you find it almost immediately. It's not so much that cloth seats are so wonderful, I just think the leather they use is unimpressive, after seeing a few of these in person I was quick to find the enthusiast package was nice but not necassary and my main interest was the engine and the body as it's not really a luxury car. I think either way you'll be happy, just don't get too eager and if you really find the options to be important then wait for one that is in good condition, a lot of these cars get thrashed by their first owners so you might find 1 out of 5 is not beat on. Also keep in mind that if the car has 50k miles on it that at 60k you'll need a timing belt, you might want to consider this in the price or even mention it when negotiating, definitely on a 60k+ mile model ask for proof the work was done. I bought a 2004 with 34k on it so I have some time before I will need a belt change, I wasn't looking for a base model but the condition on the one I bought was just immaculate and the drive was far better than all others I drove , I simply was unable to leave it on the lot the damn thing looks and feels brand new!
Truth be told, I was thing these same thoughts the damned thing is mint on the outside no rock chips or anything, I heard both owners before me were middle aged men I'm going to spend a full day with it tommorow and I'm taking it to a Nissan Dealer for a full inspection.

I need to build my credit anyways, I'll yank a VLSD off of a junked one if I need to, screw it.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:18 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

There is a thread in another section about a guy buying a new Base for $20,000. Dealer is offereing 10 Gs off on all Zs. I'd wait & look. if new Zs are dropping that much, used will fall as well.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:16 AM
eesnas

Truth be told, I was thing these same thoughts the damned thing is mint on the outside no rock chips or anything, I heard both owners before me were middle aged men I'm going to spend a full day with it tommorow and I'm taking it to a Nissan Dealer for a full inspection.

I need to build my credit anyways, I'll yank a VLSD off of a junked one if I need to, screw it.
That's cool of them to let you take it for a day... If it's a reputable dealer that you are buying from I don't think you have too much to worry about as most big dealers go through a point by point on every used car that goes on their lot, there's no real reason a local Nissan dealer will be more honest than the dealer you are buying from. So far my brief experience with the local Nissan dealer left me dissapointed, they might look at this as an opportunity to sell you on an Altima if they find flaws on this car, I guess my point is that anything can break at any time and the Nissan guys have an adgenda just as much as any dealer.

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
There is a thread in another section about a guy buying a new Base for $20,000. Dealer is offereing 10 Gs off on all Zs. I'd wait & look. if new Zs are dropping that much, used will fall as well.
I think there's a big epidemic on the internet where people tend to round it down a few thousand. I know cars are getting discounted but I also don't believe everything I read on forums, I think it also has a large part to do with the geography of where these are being sold too. I mean, brand new for 20k??? What about some dealer fees on there? Is it $20,999.99 and then they say "oh, yeah it was like $20k"? I could see $20,999.99 and then a few hundred in fees and taxes turns into "20k" real easy on the internet...

Last edited by eesnas; 12-14-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Leonhart Z33

Well I went and took a look yesterday and that car was a POS.

Oxidized (fogged up) headlights already?!
A crack in the ****ing roof?!?!?!?
Broken Rearview Mirror?!?
EVERY RIM had curb rash all the way around!!!
Center Console door was broken (where it would have Nav)
Water collecting under the gas flap door?!?
Trunk Shocks were already blown?!?
Salesman said "Only one dent on the whole car, it's the size of a dime"......going on that the car had a good 2 dollars worth of dents.
Hard Pipe Like Hoses.
Nasty injector tick
The clutch and brakes were damned near gone (judging by the fluid levels)
Still had suction cup marks on the windshield where there was a radar detector (car has been driven)
Shift Light set at 7400rpm
Old speeding tickets still in the glove box (behind the pass seat)
Broken plastic bits in the trunk.......but I couldn't find where they came from

Also they would NOT let me drive it (I had to twist an arm to get a damned key so I could turn it on) I'm sure there was more wrong.

This is just the tip of the iceburg, they wanted way too much interest on it etc.

I know down the line my next car will be a Z33, just not yet.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:14 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well I went and took a look yesterday and that car was a POS.

Oxidized (fogged up) headlights already?!
A crack in the ****ing roof?!?!?!?
Broken Rearview Mirror?!?
EVERY RIM had curb rash all the way around!!!
Center Console door was broken (where it would have Nav)
Water collecting under the gas flap door?!?
Trunk Shocks were already blown?!?
Salesman said "Only one dent on the whole car, it's the size of a dime"......going on that the car had a good 2 dollars worth of dents.
Hard Pipe Like Hoses.
Nasty injector tick
The clutch and brakes were damned near gone (judging by the fluid levels)
Still had suction cup marks on the windshield where there was a radar detector (car has been driven)
Shift Light set at 7400rpm
Old speeding tickets still in the glove box (behind the pass seat)
Broken plastic bits in the trunk.......but I couldn't find where they came from

Also they would NOT let me drive it (I had to twist an arm to get a damned key so I could turn it on) I'm sure there was more wrong.

This is just the tip of the iceburg, they wanted way too much interest on it etc.

I know down the line my next car will be a Z33, just not yet.
Every “amazing” price turns out to be not so amazing. No free lunch.

Quick Reply: '03 Base Model.......with FACTORY LEATHER SEATS?!