Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

possible new 350Z owner here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 04:01 PM
Blackzenki82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible new 350Z owner here.

hey guys, i guess i've kind of been on the forums, but really haven't posted anything... so i guess this is the intro thread or whatever...

Name's Marshall, and I'm about to sell my R32 GTR and pick up one of two 350Z's

option A: '04 silver roadster with black leather, enthusiast package, 61K miles.

option B: '04 white coupe, with white/gray interior, 111K miles

if not those two, then any 03-04 (due to cost) enthusiast package and up 6 speed will be my car in the next week or two, will keep everyone updated.

i'll be a new Z owner, always been somewhat a fan, but in the last year or so, they've just been really growing on me, so i figured it's time to move on my from R34 motored 460whp R32 GTR, and start upgrading a newer chassis, something newer, nicer, sleeker, and just more comfortable for daily driving.

i've been in nissans for quiet some time now, mostly 240's and drifting (which i plan a few track days with the Z), i've had 5 S14's, and 4 S13's, all in various stages of upgrade/trackability... i figure after the GTR, the natural progression for a Nissan enthusiast will be a 350Z...

main plans as far as performance/looks goes are pretty much standard, cold air intake, headers, test pipes/high flow cats, y pipe and cat back, or a true dual cat back, and a "stage 1" tune from my tuner who happens to be the owner of RS Enthalpy. exterior "mods" (i hate calling it that) will be the standard N1 lip, valences, and maybe some clean side skirts, then leave the rest OEM, prob some coils and adjustable arms to work the camber/toe issues of being low.

i'll be looking forward to being a part of the community, it'll feel weird being out of the 240 and skyline communities i've been a part of, but like i said, natural progression
Old 04-19-2011, 05:47 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome & good luck with your decision. It's a great forum here with some really knowledgable folks. Since you're already used to other forums, you probably have the prerequisite thick skin for putting up with everyone's smart remarks. 99% of it is all in fun on here.

Congrats in advance!
Old 04-19-2011, 07:23 PM
cubs4worldseris

Go for the silver one, far less miles. Please post up some pictures of the GTR!
Old 04-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Blackzenki82

Originally Posted by cubs4worldseris
Please post up some pictures of the GTR!
here's some photo overload, we'll go ahead and get it out of the way....

highlights of my previous 240's...

i'm a bit of a junkie.... not my house, but my cars, a white S14 with aero not in the shot.

miss this one, 76K original miles, with a fully built S13 SR that had 0 miles...

yeah, not my first rodeo with Nissans, and forums... i'm sure some of the things i do to my Z may be frowned upon but the greater community, but that's fine, i'll build mine, you build yours. I come fully equipped with a 4 layer flame suit, so no worries.

Marshall.

Last edited by Blackzenki82; 04-19-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:04 PM
Blackzenki82

either way, enough about my trash...

what are some of the things i should look out for? during my research into Z's i came across these things to look out for

bad weather stripping/leaks on coupes and verts
rev up motors and oil consumption (post 06 motors only right? so it doesn't apply)
early Z's had tranny problems (not good if it's gonna see track time)
vert motors failing
window motors going to **** on early Z's

anything i missed? anything else i should be on the lookout for in my search in case the above listed vert or white coupe falls through?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:40 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Love my vert, but if you're gonna track, drag, drift, autox, etc. most places are gonna require a rollcage for a vert. Just keep that in mind.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Blackzenki82

the places i drift don't require cages unless you tandem, I'm decent, but not on tandem level yet, so i wont be needing one as yet, but i would figure that out if i do begin to tandem...

i live in Florida, and the thought of a mildly and tastefully modded Z hitting the twisties on the back roads with the top down on a spring or fall day would be so much win. a great daily, but still have fun at the occasional drift event. calm yet capable, with the top down.

EDIT: as far as drag racing goes, not much of a fan, that, and well, that's what we have PBox's for.

and for reference, here's the CL link to the convertible http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ctd/2326895517.html and to the hard top, http://orlando.craigslist.org/ctd/2332414392.html , let me know if anything jumps out at you guys as a problematic area, as these two are my top picks so far.

Last edited by Blackzenki82; 04-19-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:26 AM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

damn nice collection of nissans. your R32 looks great!!! you should keep it. but if i had to choose i'd get the white coupe over the silver roadster
Old 04-20-2011, 09:25 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by Blackzenki82
the places i drift don't require cages unless you tandem, I'm decent, but not on tandem level yet, so i wont be needing one as yet, but i would figure that out if i do begin to tandem...
That's good. I'm putting in a custom 8pt cage that I just bought on the forums. I can still use my automatic top without any problems, and everything forward of the seats is bolt in/out/removable so that it is still safe for the street. My area tracks, etc. weren't quite that flexible due to insurance/liability concerns.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:48 AM
Blackzenki82

yeah, here in Florida, the only tech at most events is a helmet, and a battery tie down, some require a 5lb fire extinguisher.... pretty laid back... but like i said, to tandem, you have to have door bars and a full cage... not sure if the Cusco bolt in counts or not, but i think it'll pass at some of the local grassroots style track days.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:12 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by Blackzenki82
yeah, here in Florida, the only tech at most events is a helmet, and a battery tie down, some require a 5lb fire extinguisher.... pretty laid back... but like i said, to tandem, you have to have door bars and a full cage... not sure if the Cusco bolt in counts or not, but i think it'll pass at some of the local grassroots style track days.
That's great. Mine is a custom Bell Chassisworks with the door bars and everything, so I think I should be straight for whatever as long as I don't get into competition where they have very specific standards. I'm just looking to have fun and they wouldn't let me without a rollbar/cage. Just to be safe, I went all out instead - and because it looks swiiiiiit.

Good luck OP, either way I'm sure you'll have a blast. Obviously, I'm going to be biased to the convertible.