Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

New Baby and Upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 10:18 AM
StratonAce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Baby and Upgrades!

Hello everyone! New member here. I recently purchased a 35th Anniversary 350z. Some time ago I also owned a 2011 370z. I loved that car. I'll post some pics below.

My 350 is a little rough. The paint is chipping a bit and one of the previous owners had a clear bra put all across the front (even on the mirrors) and it is now cracking with ugly black cracks. Needless to say a new paint is in her future. Also the previous owner had installed 20 inch Axis wheels, which are also in bad shape. The interior is nice for the most part, except for the leather seats, which are getting pretty frayed. The engine and drivetrain seem to be in good order though. I've not yet noticed any oil burning and I hope that I don't.

This 350 will be my daily driver. I also have a 2014 Corvette as my weekend thrill ride.

I plan to do the following, in the following order:

New suspension and undercarriage update
A new long block package from Import Parts Pro
A body kit and fresh paint (was thinking of either the JP Type A or the Type B)
Interior overhaul

I've just taken the first steps with the new suspension and undercarriage update. I've ordered the following from ConceptZ:

SPD Front Knuckle Lower Control Arm Ball Joint w/ Seat
SPL TRE Z33 PRO Front Outer Tie Rod Ends V5
Whiteline Complete Rear Suspension Bushing Kit
Whiteline WEK003 Essentials Bushing Kit
SPL FUA Z33 PRO Front Adjustable Upper Camber Arms V3
SPC Adjustable Rear Camber Arm Links w/ Toe Bolts
Nissan OEM 54468-CD00C Compression Rod, RH
Nissan OEM 54469-CD00C Compression Rod, LH
Powergrid Sway-Bar End Links
KYB SM5542 Strut Mount Front
Tanabe TTB063F Sustec Front Strut Bar
Koni Yellow Sport Adjustable Shock Kit
Hotchkis Sway/Spring Combo Kit

I'm in the process of ordering some 19 inch Volk TE37SL's at 9.5" and 10.5" with offsets at +22. I didn't want to wait to get them, so I've had to shop around. Seems like there's a big wait with ANY of the high-end wheels unfortunately. I was considering some Work Meister S1R's but I just didn't want to wait that long. Kudos for those of you patient enough to suffer through that wait. I've went with the pressed graphite as I think that will look best with the bright yellow car.

I'm still undecided on the tire brand, although I know I'm wanting 285/35/19 in back and 255/35/19 in front. I'm also thinking I'm going to go all-seasons as I want them to last longer. I have had to replace the tires on my Corevtte every 8000 miles and it's maddening. I've had to replace all 4 three times already. And they are NOT cheap. I hope to make a decision on the tires today and get them ordered.

I'll post up pics of the 350 while it's getting its upgrades and again when they are complete.

So, now I'm broke as f**k. Once I get back on my feet from this major spending splurge I'll start looking into that engine replacement.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails New Baby and Upgrades!-da_z_01.jpg   New Baby and Upgrades!-da_z_02-1-.jpg   New Baby and Upgrades!-da_z_04-1-.jpg  

Last edited by StratonAce; 07-07-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:23 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,066 Likes on 6,529 Posts

nice pick up... and i feel your pain on the vette tires, about to have to get some myself
Old 07-07-2016, 10:27 AM
RichV

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Very nice 370! What made you sell that? I would love to have a 370.

Good luck on your 350 build. Sounds like you have a very good start to a nice car!
Old 07-07-2016, 10:52 AM
StratonAce

Originally Posted by RichV
Very nice 370! What made you sell that? I would love to have a 370.

Good luck on your 350 build. Sounds like you have a very good start to a nice car!
Well, the new Corvette had just come out. It was so new I'd not yet even saw one in person. One day I was driving past a Chevy dealer and what do I see in their big front window? A new shiny red Corvette. I had to stop in and get a close look at it!

At that time there was a looong waiting list to get one. And I hadn't planned on getting a new car. Heck, I had JUST finished paying off my 370! But, the salesman told me that the guy who had ordered that particular Corvette had to cancel his order. I think his wife had just left him or something. Anyway, there were a few other people oggling the 'Vette and the salesman asks me if I'd be interested in it. I told him, well, let's see what kind of deal you can give me. At that time, because they were so new and in such demand, there was no wiggle room at all. So the price was pretty steep. But DAMN, the car was soooo beautiful! so, long-story-short, I traded in the Z and drove off the lot that night with a brand new 2014 Corvette!

I don't regret that purchase at all, but I do miss the Z. The Corvette is a better car in every single way, but that Z was my baby.

Funny thing is, I've just finished paying off the 'Vette and here I go buying another car. But this time I kept the previous car.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:57 AM
RichV

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by StratonAce
Well, the new Corvette had just come out. It was so new I'd not yet even saw one in person. One day I was driving past a Chevy dealer and what do I see in their big front window? A new shiny red Corvette. I had to stop in and get a close look at it!

At that time there was a looong waiting list to get one. And I hadn't planned on getting a new car. Heck, I had JUST finished paying off my 370! But, the salesman told me that the guy who had ordered that particular Corvette had to cancel his order. I think his wife had just left him or something. Anyway, there were a few other people oggling the 'Vette and the salesman asks me if I'd be interested in it. I told him, well, let's see what kind of deal you can give me. At that time, because they were so new and in such demand, there was no wiggle room at all. So the price was pretty steep. But DAMN, the car was soooo beautiful! so, long-story-short, I traded in the Z and drove off the lot that night with a brand new 2014 Corvette!

I don't regret that purchase at all, but I do miss the Z. The Corvette is a better car in every single way, but that Z was my baby.

Funny thing is, I've just finished paying off the 'Vette and here I go buying another car. But this time I kept the previous car.
Wow, that is awesome! You must be single though. If i did that, I would have to live in the Corvette...my wife wouldn't let me in the house, thats for sure!
Old 07-07-2016, 10:59 AM
StratonAce

Originally Posted by RichV
Wow, that is awesome! You must be single though. If i did that, I would have to live in the Corvette...my wife wouldn't let me in the house, thats for sure!
LOL! Yes, being single with a disposable income is nice sometimes. Ah the freedom!
Old 07-07-2016, 11:52 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Nice welcome to the freak show. Way to take that 4 years to find the right car. Good luck with your wheels, I just waited a week to get some enkei wheels and I thought that was hard. If you get impatient 18inch rpf1s look good on everything and cost about half as much... and the continental extreme contact DWS is a pretty nice all season tire imho.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:20 PM
VenomGT9

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

I've recently seen a few sets of TE37s for sale on the 370z forum...just fyi
Old 07-07-2016, 08:44 PM
StratonAce

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 07-09-2016, 08:21 PM
StratonAce

So I've purchased the TE37SL's and they are on the way.

The wheel color is pressed graphite. I believe they come with the red spoke stickers. My car is bright yellow. My gut tells me the red stickers are just not going to look good.

I've been scouring the net looking for a place to order yellow spoke stickers, but every place I've found is from a... I don't want to say shady, but a questionable source. More than anything, dealers I've not heard of or that have bad reviews when I search for their names. I could try ebay, but it looks like they ship from either Thailand or China. I'd really prefer to find some place to order from in North America.

Anyway, it looks like I'm stuck with the red stickers. Does anyone have any pics of a yellow 350 with the TE37SL's and the red stickers?

I found a pic with a yellow 370 that has the red stickers, and I guess they look okay. What do you guys think? Red sticker with yellow, or no?

Old 07-10-2016, 01:43 AM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

If you are looking for all seasons that last longer I have Bridgestone S0-4s on my Nismo right now, 285/35 and 265/40. Had them on for 6000 miles now, less then a 1/3 worn, (I don't ever do hard launches but I do toss it in corners very hard)This has included a trip to the dragon and back as well as .... The Dragon. and daily driving. Handles rain very well (Florida monsoon rain not seattle drizzle)

I can feel the need for stickier tires but for a DD tire these do quite nicely.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:09 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

I might go ahead and keep them red stickers in my sticker folder.

I usually just stockpile stickers and then stick them on toolboxes and such.

Red goes fine with that car though
Old 07-28-2016, 05:40 PM
StratonAce

I finally got all of the parts and got everything on the car. I pretty much replaced everything regarding the undercarriage and suspension.

So, suspension down. Now I only have to do engine, body and interior. :P

I had to get the fenders rolled, and the process ended up screwing the paint up.

Please forgive the dirty car, I just got her back and have had not wash yet.
Attached Thumbnails New Baby and Upgrades!-z_01.jpg   New Baby and Upgrades!-z_02.jpg   New Baby and Upgrades!-z_03.jpg  
Old 07-30-2016, 07:12 AM
rearranged

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Nice. The graphite sl's look good on your car.