Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

new 03 z owner with starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 09:37 PM
pralvarado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new 03 z owner with starting issues

hey guys. like the title says im new to the 350z world. worked on cars so i have a good grasp of what i am doing. i have a burnt orange 03 touring with an auto trans. so i have looked through far and wide on google and cant find a definite solution to my problem

ran odb 2 on it and pulled up p1614,p1615, code for thermostat , and cam pos sensor a,
so when i crank the car you can hear a loud clunk and all the lights dim.
so i removed the old one and hooked it up to the battery to see what it did. well when it it "cranks" the propeller shaft pops out but does not turn. i replaced it with a duralast one from autozone. now instead of the clunk noise you can hear a grinding noise. and then it wont do anything afterwards.
while i was down there i did notice there was no ground cable attached to the alternator as per in the FSM section PG page 50. E211,e212,e213 which is for alternator ground chasis, and engine.
i checked all the relays that belong for the starter and ignition. i also took the car to get the keys reprogramed( which was weird becuase they never touched my car at all during the coding process.)

update: went back to the car later on in the day to test out nissan datascan. when i turn the key to start the car i can hear the clicking noise from the starter and then my lights shut off completly leaving the battery, service engine, and door open light on. but everything turns off including the stereo

everything is stock in my car
i am currently at a stump at this point.
any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:57 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Did you replace the starter? Looks like there's a section missing from your post. If so, what did the ring gear look like?
Old 02-19-2017, 10:00 AM
pralvarado

yes i replaced the starter with a duralast one. but i took some pics of the old one.

i was told to give the crank a turn to make sure the engine didnt seize. and also to get the alternator checked out to make sure its also in working condition.
i havent checked the relay's that belong in that circuit to see if there is continuity. ill will post my findings on wednesday night since i dont work that day.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:14 AM
pralvarado

and i didnt get to take a picture of the ring gear. i will do it on wednesday. that way i have a full list of troubleshooting that i can do and scratch off the list. i will take pics that way i can get better assistance in nailing the start issue.
thank you for the help
Old 02-19-2017, 03:59 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Let's hope the engine isn't seized.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:43 PM
pralvarado

i hope every day when i go to sleep its not. but if it is then idk if i will still be alive to tell the tale of when i tell the wife the engine is shot
Old 02-24-2017, 12:00 AM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I checked an OBD2 code guide on Nissans and for P1614 it says that the problem is down to the NATS system. it says when the ECM determines that if the key is current and valid the ECM activates the fuel injection system. The possible causes could be a) faulty or not programmed key b)faulty IMMU or c)Faulty ECM. P1615 says prety much the same thing.
I thought that P0340 and P0345 were cam position sensor fault codes and that the thermostat code was PO128. So I'm just wondering..........