Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

New member dropping by... looking for 'docile' tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 06:33 PM
drozzy

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New member dropping by... looking for 'docile' tires

Hey guys, great site and it's cool to see that some of the members from ~10 yrs ago are still around! The DIY threads are seriously impressive.

I picked up a Silverstone / black leather '06 Grand Touring (5AT) at a Toronto Nissan dealership in October '13 with a clean Carproof and 55,000 km on the clock. The only fault I found on the car was a few nail scratches inside the door armrest hole (if that makes sense) made out of plastic on the driver side, nothing on the paint and a perfectly clean underside. An older gentleman had traded it in for a roadster 370. It's now got 69,765 km, or 43,380 mi on the clock as of May '17.

Since purchasing it...

Injen SP CAI
Stillen HFC
Borla catback
Eibach sways
Stillen engine damper brace
Goodridge SS brake lines
20% tint
3M clear front fascia protector
Sprint booster (gimmick!)

Minus the window tint, the car looks bone stock. Still running RE050As (3rd set in car's life) on the OEM staggered 19/18 RAYS setup, will need tires in Spring '18.

Audio system
-Pioneer AVH-X2800BS (4V preouts) *orange lighting to match dash*
-Soundstream TRA560.2
-Kappa Perfect 5.1 (Focal 165K2P UV wouldn't clear the windows...sounded amazing in my '06 G35 sedan)
-Orion 1200D
-IDMAX v3D4 in a built-in-car 1.3 cu ft sealed enclosure, between rear strut tower brace and rear storage/audio panel, cotton hand towels jammed in small 'fitment gap' to keep enclosure in place over bumps
-3F cap, 0 ga for batt--dist block, 4 ga for dist block--amps
-Secondskin Damplifier Pro and Dynamat Pro sheets from past projects, bottom of trunk + rear deck + doors

So, the one thing I'd very much appreciate ideas on is tires to make the ride a tad more compliant over older bumpy roads. The sway bar settings are medium front and rear. Those Bridgestone RE050As are the only tires I have experience with, in stock staggered sizes... one of them, rear right suffered a casualty in the sidewall after 6K km and had to be replaced. I'm hoping slightly wider tires help me with some of the uneven spots (bridge joints, patched up roads) on my summer commute, looking for a hint of comfort and less chance of damaging sidewalls.

Would putting on 255/40R18's & 275/35R19's accomplish that?

I think I'm in the market for UHP or max performance summer tires, as I only drive the car to work on dry days.

Thanks!