Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

Got myself a 2005 Touring MT

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 06:01 PM
Agret

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got myself a 2005 Touring MT

Really liking the car so far but it's my first manual transmission car so it's taking me awhile to get comfortable driving it. Having a lot of issues with rollback on sloped surfaces still so am avoiding any routes with hills for now in case I get caught in traffic and have to try do a start from the hill

The car has just hit 68,100km on it Have just given it a full service on a friends hoist. We replaced engine oil, engine coolant, diff oil and gearbox oil and now the engine sounds much quieter driving around in it.

Last edited by Agret; 05-09-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:37 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Agret
Really liking the car so far but it's my first manual transmission car so it's taking me awhile to get comfortable driving it. Having a lot of issues with rollback on sloped surfaces still so am avoiding any routes with hills for now in case I get caught in traffic and have to try do a start from the hill

The car has just hit 68,100km on it Have just given it a full service on a friends hoist. We replaced engine oil, engine coolant, diff oil and gearbox oil and now the engine sounds much quieter driving around in it.
]

Nice pickup. Still fresh.

On the "oh crap I'm on a hill rollback", use the parking brake - set it and as you release the clutch, release the brake slowly in proportion to how much the car starts moving forward. You'll do this until you feel comfortable and foot coordinated.

Not kidding, I grew up in San Francisco... And would still do it on those big hills.

After you master the parking brake technique for clutching, move on to "Using the e-brake to break the tail loose, let's drift!!"
The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 02:49 AM
Agret

Yeah good tip on the ebrake. I did an ebrake start for the first time today as my driveway is sloped and I had driven in forwards so I had to reverse it up the hill and I just kept rolling forwards. I managed to pull off the ebrake start and get it back out of the driveway proud moment for me haha.

Going to go take it to a hilly backstreet on the weekend and practice some forward starts using it before I jump into tackling it on the road, should get there pretty fast though if today was any indication

My previous car is a 1999 Mitsubishi Magna TH Automatic so the Z is a night and day different experience driving around, I had to take it out to a rural property for work the other day and this thing was made for the back roads!

Last edited by Agret; 05-10-2017 at 02:53 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:19 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

E-brake is OK for learning, but you can just heel-toe the brake/gas as you let out the clutch and you won't roll back on the steepest hills.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:56 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Nice pickup. Still fresh.

On the "oh crap I'm on a hill rollback", use the parking brake - set it and as you release the clutch, release the brake slowly in proportion to how much the car starts moving forward. You'll do this until you feel comfortable and foot coordinated.

Not kidding, I grew up in San Francisco... And would still do it on those big hills.

After you master the parking brake technique for clutching, move on to "Using the e-brake to break the tail loose, let's drift!!"

+1 lol..YES! The parking brake. Took the words right outta' my mouth.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:01 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Welcome, Agret.

Nice looking car, man. Great color, too.. Damn, I gotta wax mine.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:50 PM
Agret

I actually haven't had a chance to give it a proper wax yet, just used some wash n wax stuff to give it a wash. Hoping for some nice weather on the weekend to give it a proper job. Looks pretty shiny already, the colour probably helps with that though

Last edited by Agret; 05-11-2017 at 08:51 PM.