Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

Looking to buy a 350Z but so hard

Old 05-31-2017, 06:03 PM
adhesivo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone. This community seems very friendly and helpful. I like that!

Allow me to introduce myself a little bit more. I shoot cars for a living (car commercials, Petrolicious, etc). Of course on my spare time I end up wasting all my money on cars. I'm building my car collection little by little. I can't fit all my toys in the signature so here we go.

Besides the already mentioned 355, NSX and M3 CZP, I also currently own a Mercedes SL600, another sl500 that I just bought for some parts and that I'll have to get rid of soon, a BAC mono, a 2004 Audi TT 3.2 DSG, a 2006 opel speedster turbo, a lancia delta integrale evo2, a 2001 seat ibiza cupra R (that few of you will probably know of) and a 1978 Dodge aspen Super coupe (with an impressive 5.9L engine that delivers about 170hp!!! )

Some of these are highly modified while others are pretty much stock. I'm looking to get a pristine 350z to complete the collection, a car I liked quite a bit when it came out but that I was not able to afford back then.

Wish me luck to get this damn 350z!

Last edited by adhesivo; 05-31-2017 at 06:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 05:10 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Welcome, sir.. Impressive collection you have there. And what a cool occupation. I get paid to look at cars too, but in a different way. Usually when I see them they're in need of a tune-up or some other miscellaneous work. So we're at different ends of the spectrum but share the same interest.
Good luck in your search.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:07 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

If you ever need an overweight, middle-aged, half-Korean model for one of your car commercials, send me a PM. I'm even willing to dance around in a red dress like the chick on those Toyota commercials.

RE: the 1978 Dodge Aspen Super coupe, yeah, that was a mighty year for cars. I've owned a '78 Fiat X1/9 and a '78 Chevy Malibu station wagon. They were both underwhelming (though in hindsight, I still love the Bertone-designed X1/9 for everything except the anemic engine and the massive DOT-spec bumpers. That, and I couldn't get my body in it without the Targa top removed.) Given the choices available back then, the Aspen and its 170 hp would have been a contemporary powerhouse. Still, all things considered, it's a nice stable you've got going there.

Welcome to the forums.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:24 AM
AX8

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Enjoy the Hunt !

As the 350 Z ages, and drops in price, younger buyers get their hands on them and things can go downhill fast on the remaining survivors.

Here'a thought.... Check out all the Z Club's Web Site's FOR SALE Sections.

You just may stumble into a well kept unit you so desire.

Good luck in your quest, they're out there, just a matter a time before you stumble upon the right one.

Acknowledge that it will be frustrating weeding out all the loser units.

Happy Hunting !
zwei_the_c (06-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 01:33 PM
adhesivo

Hi all!
So today I test drove a 35th anniversary 350z, low miles but it needed some work. I was unimpressed with the performance but it had a nice steering and brake feeling. But honestly I was expecting a bit more. I likedthe aesthetics of the 350z a lot and the interior feels spacious, but the plastics age really bad (lots of scratched surfaces). The transmission... I didnt love it but nothing really wrong with it. I guess after you drive a 911 everything else feels so so.

After that I decided to go to a Nissan dealer where I test drive a 370z sport AT, and wow that felt like it had 500 more horses. I was quite surprised about it. The interior however feels more cramped, and materials are a bit better but not amazing. Steering and suspension felt similar to the 350z under the conditions I drove it.

Then I test drove a manual 370z Nismo. It didn't feel any faster, actually felt slower than the regular sport. The seats are cool but I dont need sport seats, I want persimmon leather.

So now I'm a bit confused about what I want. I keep reading how the 07-08 350z even having a bit more power you can't tell the difference. But I do like the looks of a Silverstone grey and parsimmom leather and I want big brembo brakes. So is that late 1st gen my best option?

Last edited by adhesivo; 06-04-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:35 PM
zwei_the_c

Received 131 Likes on 93 Posts

I would say you can definitely noticed power differences when you drive a DE, then jump over to the HR and noticed a better response. You did drive lots of fast car though, so it's proabbly feels like a let-down to you.

You tested a 35th Anniversary. which is 2005. Maybe try giving a 2007+ a try and see if that's your liking more? Though, finding one is a task in its own.
Big Brakes, you can always add those on if you find a Z without it. Although, sounds like you want a Touring model or a Grand Touring for the seats, big brakes, and possibly a Nav. unit.
But all honestly, sounds like you liked the 370Z Sports AT quite a bit. However you said you liked the aesthetic of the 350Z which I can agree with. There is a big price differences as well between the two.

If you're impatient, I would suggest a 370Z.
If you're going to modify the engine, I would suggest DE engine.
If you're going to leave the engine alone, I would suggest HR engine. (you can modify it if you want, just that the DE has more available support for it, and cheaper)
Old 06-05-2017, 07:40 AM
Frostydc4

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by adhesivo
Hi all!
So today I test drove a 35th anniversary 350z, low miles but it needed some work. I was unimpressed with the performance but it had a nice steering and brake feeling. But honestly I was expecting a bit more. I likedthe aesthetics of the 350z a lot and the interior feels spacious, but the plastics age really bad (lots of scratched surfaces). The transmission... I didnt love it but nothing really wrong with it. I guess after you drive a 911 everything else feels so so.

After that I decided to go to a Nissan dealer where I test drive a 370z sport AT, and wow that felt like it had 500 more horses. I was quite surprised about it. The interior however feels more cramped, and materials are a bit better but not amazing. Steering and suspension felt similar to the 350z under the conditions I drove it.

Then I test drove a manual 370z Nismo. It didn't feel any faster, actually felt slower than the regular sport. The seats are cool but I dont need sport seats, I want persimmon leather.

So now I'm a bit confused about what I want. I keep reading how the 07-08 350z even having a bit more power you can't tell the difference. But I do like the looks of a Silverstone grey and parsimmom leather and I want big brembo brakes. So is that late 1st gen my best option?

I see you have a nice collection

I would just hold out for the nicest 07-08 350z to add to your collection. You might want to expand your search to the SE region (FL, GA, etc. You might be able to find nice one owner clean examples there ).

The 07-08 cars have a nicer interior & better gearbox (since it looks like you will be leaving this car stock upgrading the clutch items which fail with high power builds [clutch and slave cylinder] is unnecessary) and were produced in smaller numbers, especially the Nismo cars.

Do you have more pics of the Lancia?

Last edited by Frostydc4; 06-06-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:09 PM
adhesivo

Could anyone guide me on where to find info on the different 350z trims on later years?
I'm currently looking in all states but I'm tired of reading the words salvage title and automatic...

Regarding the lancia, I don't have any pics here in my phone but it looks like this one.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:10 PM
adhesivo

Originally Posted by zwei_the_c
I would say you can definitely noticed power differences when you drive a DE, then jump over to the HR and noticed a better response. You did drive lots of fast car though, so it's proabbly feels like a let-down to you.

You tested a 35th Anniversary. which is 2005. Maybe try giving a 2007+ a try and see if that's your liking more? Though, finding one is a task in its own.
Big Brakes, you can always add those on if you find a Z without it. Although, sounds like you want a Touring model or a Grand Touring for the seats, big brakes, and possibly a Nav. unit.
But all honestly, sounds like you liked the 370Z Sports AT quite a bit. However you said you liked the aesthetic of the 350Z which I can agree with. There is a big price differences as well between the two.

If you're impatient, I would suggest a 370Z.
If you're going to modify the engine, I would suggest DE engine.
If you're going to leave the engine alone, I would suggest HR engine. (you can modify it if you want, just that the DE has more available support for it, and cheaper)
Nah, definitely I'm not It after the 370z for now and for sure not an AT.
what does hr and de stand/refer to?
i'll most probably leave it stock.

Last edited by adhesivo; 06-08-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:31 AM
Michael Polley

Default 350z recently bought

Hello everyone!
new guy in the forum. I'm currently looking for a 350z to add up to my garage. It's been incredibly hard to find, I mean, so far I've found 0 vehicles in the US that fulfill the following specs?

- clean title
- relatively low mileage (ideally under 80K)
- stock or reversibly modded
- without the interior destroyed
- 6 speed

I'm not even listing the color preference (grey, white or orange would be nice) or things like leather interior. It's been virtually impossible to find a unit that's not destroyed or heavily modified.

I've checked the marketplace here and same thing, no luck. Craigslist, car gurus... if you guys know of any good unit please send it my way.
Bought this 2004 350z touring roadster with 50k miles for 10k,very good condition,all stock.keep looking

Old 06-09-2017, 02:38 PM
Gs_350z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

As others have said.....patience. They are out there. It took me over a month to find mine: '07 Enthusiast (LSD is standard on this trim), 6 speed, 2 owner, 53k miles, clean pristine leather interior, lowered, 2 owner. Paid around $11k. Found it on Craig's list and it had been listed for only 5 days.
Just remember to keep a little of your budget $ back so you can take care of the unexpected surprises that come with buying a used sports car. Good luck!

Last edited by Gs_350z; 06-09-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:08 PM
Frostydc4

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Nah, definitely I'm not It after the 370z for now and for sure not an AT.
what does hr and de stand/refer to?
i'll most probably leave it stock.
DE and HR refers to the engine codes

vq35de = the motor in the 03-06 cars
vq35hr = the motor in the 07-08 cars

Since you are keeping it stock I would try to locate a GT, Touring, or Nismo 07-08 car. These cars really need an LSD which is standard on those cars. GL with your search
Old 06-09-2017, 03:19 PM
Theminatar

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had to travel from Iowa to Atlanta to find mine. I was also very specific.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:50 PM
zwei_the_c

Found this,
I would ask just to go with stock parts, which he has in his possession to lower the price.
Also keep in mind, the car is actually black, it's wrapped, and does not have Brembo brakes nor have leather seats.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/6149247218.html
Old 06-11-2017, 05:22 AM
Michael Polley

Thanks everyone. This community seems very friendly and helpful. I like that!

Allow me to introduce myself a little bit more. I shoot cars for a living (car commercials, Petrolicious, etc). Of course on my spare time I end up wasting all my money on cars. I'm building my car collection little by little. I can't fit all my toys in the signature so here we go.

Besides the already mentioned 355, NSX and M3 CZP, I also currently own a Mercedes SL600, another sl500 that I just bought for some parts and that I'll have to get rid of soon, a BAC mono, a 2004 Audi TT 3.2 DSG, a 2006 opel speedster turbo, a lancia delta integrale evo2, a 2001 seat ibiza cupra R (that few of you will probably know of) and a 1978 Dodge aspen Super coupe (with an impressive 5.9L engine that delivers about 170hp!!! )

Some of these are highly modified while others are pretty much stock. I'm looking to get a pristine 350z to complete the collection, a car I liked quite a bit when it came out but that I was not able to afford back then.

Wish me luck to get this damn 350z!
Go to www.autolist.com
Old 06-11-2017, 10:42 AM
adhesivo

Thanks for the link,but it looks too destroyed and modded for my taste.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:08 PM
kauai1800

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Aloha Adhesivo,

I got mine by accident on CL, and aside from trashed interior it met your criteria..only cost $4500 though. Check those sites that list all of Craigslist - pretty useful.

Yoy mentioned Petrolicious- they covered my Volvo 1800 a couple years back. Any chance you know Jeremy Heslup?
Old 06-12-2017, 02:10 PM
adhesivo

Originally Posted by kauai1800
Aloha Adhesivo,

I got mine by accident on CL, and aside from trashed interior it met your criteria..only cost $4500 though. Check those sites that list all of Craigslist - pretty useful.

Yoy mentioned Petrolicious- they covered my Volvo 1800 a couple years back. Any chance you know Jeremy Heslup?
hahaha are you John Patterson?
Of course, Jeremy and I are good buddies. Didn't I sneak one of your watches on the 288GTO video? I didn't know you had a 350z!
kauai1800 (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 04:42 PM
kauai1800

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

hahaha are you John Patterson?
Of course, Jeremy and I are good buddies. Didn't I sneak one of your watches on the 288GTO video? I didn't know you had a 350z!
The one and only!

...(except to the IRS who apparently has someone else trying to be me to get my refund).

Thanks for working that shot in - love it!

Small world and just had to send you a shout out.
I just got mine - not looking for a Z specifically because on Kauai you kinda get what you can. But LOVE the Z car (even more than my old track day Miata). It's great stock and easy to tweak it like you want it.

Still rocking the 1800 of course, but needed a daily driver.

Here's the thread about the car I got. It looked like &*%$ but most of it was easy-to-fix cosmetic stuff. I'm a big fan of bringing the code reader and buying cars from people who don't really 'know' cars.

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...ce-hawaii.html

Just bought a cool gated shifter t shirt from the Petrolicious instagram store. Cool swag there!
Nice to meet ya! I figured you might have gotten the Z bug after Jeremy mentioned the one I got so cheap.

Last edited by kauai1800; 06-12-2017 at 04:45 PM. Reason: strange cat smell
Old 06-16-2017, 12:06 PM
zwei_the_c

Alright, if you do not mind a red Z, then this is the smoking gun you want! It looks very well taken care! All detail in the listing ad below, and I would hurry before someone else finds it. It's a stock HR with 66K miles. You won't get leather seats or Brembo it looks, but you can add that on without trouble.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...165217004.html

Search this Thread