Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

04 350z Touring Edition

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 02:15 AM
mrwrolguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z Touring Edition 2004 or 2004.5??????

A week ago I purchased a 350z white with black leather (all stock nobody has been ricing it out) in mint condition never wrecked never flooded for $3000, Im in the houston area and found the car in austin texas... so my son and I drove to austin and tow dolly it back. The car is amazing it looks great but one problem crank no start. I have a friend that has a tester he said it cost 10grand that can read the entire car system in this car.. He checked the fuel pump camshaft sensor basically coilpacs all the sensors in the car from the obd 2 port. He said the ecm is not giving him any codes but from the sub menu of his tester he is getting a U1000 communication failure from the IPDM... I have read thanks to another member the factory service manual for this. This dam car is complicated with all the systems talking to each other. Well this is my short introduction... My friend is going to come pick it up and take it to his shop and test all the grounds put it on a lift remove the interior and check all the grounds. From what I can tell there was a nissan bulletin in regards to grounds loosing the impediance and the IPDM losing communication. I think this car could be a problem child, and why I got it for 3k we will soon see. I will update as I get more information.. This is not a hit and run post as I will update what is changed and what he finds. The first thing the previous owner burned up the started and killed the battery cranking on it gave up and sold me the car. Wish me luck. And thanks 350z for all the great information in this forum.

UPDATE... I pulled the IPDM and according to the FSM my vehicle is a 2004.5 the question is did the previous owner install the wrong IPDM from a 2004.5 vehicle and the vehicle is really a 2004 vehicle if so I just discovered why it wont run because all the plugs will plug in but the pin out is different from the 2004 FSM and the 2004.5 FSM... Im at a stand still till I figure out what my vehicle is. Hope someone can chim in... Im going to call the local nissan dealer and do some web searches via the vin number. Below is pictures of what I have. And the IPDM I pulled out. Thanks.

UPDATE UPDATE... I have a 2004.5 the IPDM's are different and the difference is plug E9 on the 2004.5. freaking infomation overload here.

UPDATE 3 I have tested Can system with a ohm reading of 122ohms which is good.. So can system is working.. The IPDM is not communicating with the ECM u1000 I also ran the IPDM test with pushing the button on the door 10 times.. It passed but why no spark at the coils. The other reason I dont have spark at the coils could be a bad ECM relay plugged into the IPDM.. The only other reason the ECM is not sending voltage to the coils is the engine has jumped time the cam sensors sending signal back to ECM will cause the ECM to shut down voltage to the coils.... So lets hope thats not it... Going to search forum for the part number for a replacement ECM RELAY that plugs into the IPDM. It cant be that easy.. Right?

UPDATE 4. WRONG!!! I swapped out a relay from the low beam headlights relay car still does not have spark and the headlights low beam still works. So its not the relay. The battery box is really clean and there is no corrosion anywhere near or on the IPDM... Tomorrow I may take it apart and see if there is corrosion inside the IPDM.. I read somewhere someone cleaned it with alcohol and a toothbrush. May give that a try and read the FSM some more.. Like I said above.. Not going to just throw parts at this till I find a problem. This vehicle if I get it running will be my mid life crisis vehicle so I need to learn as much as I can about it. There is no way I could have troubleshoot the the things without the FSM.. FYi I have checked the VATS its working properly, and checked and ohm'ed the different body grounds the IPDM ECM BCM ABS systems use.. All grounds feeding the different systems are good. Tomorrow Im going back to basics.. I going to check fuel pressure and trace the coils engine signal FSM EC pg 626-631 start with what I know is broke and trace back to the ECM.. I dont remember if We checked the crank sensor.. I know we checked the cam sensors.. Im running solo this weekend. So Im going to trace the crank sensor also.

Update 5... really scratching my head on this one... Tested 135 246 coils ground circuit and with key on the power circuit.. Still no fire when you crank it over. Changed the crank sensor... Tested coils again still no start just crank.. So some time during the week going to change the cam sensors. My friend with the tester has not been around the last few days so Ive been solo. Im at the point after I change the cam sensors if there is still a no start issue.( Vats is working properly. Cleared the ECM memory.) Im at IPDM not sending ECM signal to coils, the engine has mechanically jumped time and the cams are in the wrong postion, Or a bad ECM. Update again in a few days depending on my schedule.

Update 6. My 350z is on its way to the shop and My Friend & a Certified Nissan Tech will be sorting the car out. I will update on what they find.

Update 7. ??????
Attached Thumbnails 04 350z Touring Edition-00b0b_inydy8verrx_600x450.jpg   04 350z Touring Edition-00m0m_iegjgvsiwsz_600x450.jpg  

Last edited by mrwrolguy; 12-04-2017 at 10:55 AM. Reason: add pics updating post.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:25 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Well, for $3000, let's hope you didn't buy into a money pit. Cosmetically, the car looks very nice. The IPDM isn't that difficult to swap out, and assuming the car is truly NOT flood damaged and your friend with the shop is reasonably competent, you should be okay. If all else fails, take some of that cash you saved and take the car to a dealer and have them hook it up to their CONSULT II system (which costs significantly more than $10K) to see if they can get a better handle on what's going on with factory-dedicated testing equipment.

Regardless, congrats on the purchase and welcome to the boards.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:35 PM
mrwrolguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This post is null and void

Last edited by mrwrolguy; 12-01-2017 at 10:05 AM. Reason: deleting post everything is in first post.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:34 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by mrwrolguy
UPDATE UPDATE... I have a 2004.5 the IPDM's are different and the difference is plug E9 on the 2004.5. freaking infomation overload here.
Good catch though. You can generally get decent part diagrams (and good prices on new OEM parts) from the Courtesy Nissan Parts website at https://www.courtesyparts.com/

Hopefully, the correct IPDM will solve the problems. Let us know how it goes.