Notices
NISMO 350Z The Limited Edition Best Handling Z Ever.

Newbie looking for 2008 Nismo

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 09:39 AM
cp_Houston

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie looking for 2008 Nismo

Hi, I am a newbie who looking for a stock 2008 Nismo. Can anyone tell me what I should looking when buying a 2008 Nismo? I don't know anything about the car other than love how that the car look with factory kit. Any recommendation would be appreciated as far as the price or mechanic issue with the car. What other factory option that are available with the car?

I know I just like the car to be stock factory as possible. I like to keep it the way it is and no aftermarket part. Thanks you all.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:56 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

The 08 350Zs are great cars and have no known problems. I believe 07 had an issue with the clutch but 08 is fine.

Make sure you do the research on what the Nismo is before you buy it.

Is this going to be a daily driver?
What are your long term goals with the car?

You shouldn't buy a Nismo for the looks. People buy Nismos because of their rarity, and they are cars that are track-ready. They ride very harsh compared to the standard Z, so I hear.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:38 PM
bb17

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I own both a 2007 Touring and a 2007 Nismo. I'll try my best to answer your question with that in mind.

First of all, I wouldn't exclude the 2007 Nismo from your search. I've driven nice 2007 Nismos and terrible 2008's. As you can see I ended up buying an 07. As the previous responder stated - all 2007's manual 350z suffer from a clutch defect. Most of those cars have since been fixed by the recall and my understanding is that Nissan will still fix it free of charge if you haven't already done so.

Secondly, buying a Nismo 350z for the looks is a perfectly acceptable reason for doing it. In fact, it was my primary reason for wanting to buy a Nismo. But after driving a Nismo for a few days I can elaborate on other reasons why you may want to own one. There are many things to like about it. Everybody says that a Nismo drives so much harsher and is so much louder than a Touring. I own both and I personally find this to not be the case. The sound inside the cabin is definitely different but not particularly louder. For example, the Nismo tends to have a dull booming resonance likely brought on by the stiff frame and chasis - but its not as bad as everybody says.

Many people say that Nismo is less comfortable than the touring. I found the opposite to be true. For some reason I found the leather seats in the touring to be very stiff and completely uncomfortable. But I'm a pretty big guy (6'1" and about 200 lbs) and the seats seem to be a bit on the small side. The Nismo seats are cloth, seem to be a bit softer, and a touch larger. I can comfortable drive it for about 4 hours before I need to get out for a stretch.

Also in regards to comfort, people report finding the Nismo's ride to be bone-jarring. I don't think this is correct at all. You can definitely feel added firmness compared to a Touring, but it is well dampened and it feels very sure footed. The touring seemed to get a little wheel hop over odd surfaces where the Nismo just grips grips grips. Due due to the car's great suspension I found it a little easier to drive overall. It just feels very nimble. Just watch out for steep drives and speed bumps!

Just for the record, I carry a pair of ear plugs in both cars since the noise generated by each car gets a bit fatiguing over longer drives (i.e. 1+ hours).

Also, it seems that everybody that sees the Nismo is interested in it. Tons of compliments and people love to come and talk about it and ask what it is. Not the case with the touring.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:49 PM
jonny350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SO you want a stock nismo... There are plenty of "mostly" stock nismo cars for sale. Go to autotrader and see for yourself. You probably won't get a 100% stock car though. Things you want to look out for are red springs, front and rear yamaha performance dampers, nismo badge with serial number, nismo badge on the hatch (I heard these can cost around $150 and some people will pop these off and replace with the cheap one with the red O), cloth seats with the red insert, and the additional brace in the engine bay. Just do a google search on everything I mentioned so you know you have a complete car. The stock brakes are gold in color Brembo brakes with black rubber lines. Again, good luck finding a 100% stock Nismo as there are many areas which can be improved on as I have found out. I've been personalizing mine with little things I like and find better than stock. Let me know if you have any questions or want some info on mine.

And price wise expect to pay anywhere between 20-30K. I paid 23,5 for mine with 32,000 miles last august.