Notices
Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

Dry "NOS" kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 03:47 PM
Vegas350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dry "NOS" kit

I haven't bought a 350z yet but will be buying one in July. I am currently running a 75 shot, dry, NOS kit in my '99 4cylinder Accord.

I have one step colder NGK's, a Apex'i V-AFC tuned to run rich at WOT(stock injectors), my timing is retarded about 2 degrees, and a WOT switch. However, I'm also running by push button operation. I like controling the nitrous so as long as the nitrous reads WOT, I push and hold on the button until my heart desires, letting go before switching gears.

What I want to do is take the NOS system out of my Accord and put it in the Z when I get it. I know to get colder NGK's, and I've read that the 350z runs rich in stock condition.......is this true and does this mean I won't have to worry about pushing more fuel with a Apex'i S-AFC or something similar? Has anyone been concerned with retarding their ignition for safety? Nobody seems to be running "push button" either, any reason for this?? I would like to run the dry since it is only a 75 shot, and a 6 cylinder should be MUCH more capable of running a safe 75 shot than a 4 cylinder.

Anyone's advice on this would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:48 AM
RedondoG

Vegas350Z;
I have a 2004.5 G35 currently running a Venom dry nitrous Kit (75 shot). The G35 and the 350Z share the same engine and electronics. The 350Z from 2004.5 and on are ULEV vehicles and don't run rich like their predecessors. The ECU has been changed significantly and doesn't play well with the Venom electronics box (equivalent in function to the Apex'i unit).

I am currently having trouble with the Venom unit because of this electronics problem, but fortunately the manufacturer is 30 miles from my home and willing to work with me on it until we get it solved (I hope).
Old 05-12-2005, 09:11 AM
nearly zer0

from what i've read. you want to stay away from dry kits on a z. maybe a well designed 50 shot might be ok (edlebrock). but for maximum safety and performance it seems like people really like the NX wet setups. Our injectors don't have much headroom even in a stock setup, you will definately need extra fueling if you plan on running anything substantial.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:02 PM
RedondoG

nearly zer0;
Where are you getting that information aboout the jets? A lot of people are running Vortec superchargers with the stock jets.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:52 PM
Vegas350Z

Thanks for the info guys. So I guess the Apex'i S-AFC isn't too capable of opening the stock injectors to full duty on the 350z, strange. Do you know if AEM has an EMS for the 350z that'll work, cause that'll probably make it easy when I get the turbo as well.

It's hard for me to imagine that the Z would have so many problems when dealing with nitrous compared to a 4 cylinder Honda. The Z's compression isn't even that bad for nitrous either, is it?? It's like 10.3:1 right?? The '99 Accord is 9.5:1.

Simply put.......is there ANY way I can run the NOS dry kit with some sort of electronics unit like the AEM EMS, or Apex'i S-AFC or should I just say hell with it and get the NX wet??

I also heard that a dry kit is better for turbo....

RedondoG, have you retarded the timing at all?
Old 05-13-2005, 06:32 AM
RedondoG

Vegas350Z;
I said the Venom electronics are having a problem with the G35 ECU system, the Apex'i S-AFC is similar but not the same so it may work. I know the 2003 and 2004 G35 and Z run well on the Venom dry system.

"is there ANY way I can run the NOS dry kit with some sort of electronics unit like the AEM EMS, or Apex'i S-AFC"?
Just ait a bit, Venom is workiing on the problem right now.

I haven't retarded the timing at all, but I am running 1 step colder plugs.