Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005 | 11:25 AM
faster than u

Default can i spray 1st gear

is it bad to spray 1st gear if im over 3k rpm
Old 10-12-2005 | 07:39 AM
1FlyZ

Default Crazyness

good luck keeping control of it. if you do let me know when and tell me what happens. 1 of 3 things is either going to happen. You going to push it at around 4K and the RPM guage is going to shoot straight to redline and you will kill your engine cause you wont have a fast enough reaction time to shift OR depending on how big you will press it and your tires will rip *** and you will loose control and wreck ORR if that doesnt happen you hit the NOS and next thing you know you have ram air in your hood because your pistons just shot straight out. Which would be a site to see ! sorry didnt mean to sound mean on that comment. Just the truth. I would highly highly recommend not spraying in first. Word of the wyse!
Old 10-12-2005 | 09:40 AM
faster than u

well for one i have been spraying 1st gear for a week now and its not hard to controll , it barley spins, yes i have time to shift , what i need to know is it hurting the motor.
Old 10-12-2005 | 09:45 AM
1FlyZ

wow im sorry. i retract my last statement then. You have proven me wrong. Congrats. With how the Z is setup i did not know someone could keep it under control when spraying in first. what shot do you have? And no to my knowledge its no worse then spraying in 3rd or 4th, as long as you shift right and keep up wtih it.
Old 10-12-2005 | 09:46 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Originally Posted by faster than u
well for one i have been spraying 1st gear for a week now and its not hard to controll , it barley spins, yes i have time to shift , what i need to know is it hurting the motor.
? Your spraying 1st gear and barely spinning? What are you running a 35 shot? There is NO NEED for spraying in 1st gear, unless you were dragging and had a set of slicks at the track and could handle putting the power down effectively, its worthless. Our cars are very strong in 1st gear say from a 20mph roll. People cut 1.6 60ft's NA on SLCIKS you spraying in 1st gear on street tires imo is dumb. Is it bad for your motor? Not as long as you dont slam fuel cut spraying it wont be....
Old 10-12-2005 | 09:51 AM
1FlyZ

Originally Posted by Alberto
? Your spraying 1st gear and barely spinning? What are you running a 35 shot? There is NO NEED for spraying in 1st gear, unless you were dragging and had a set of slicks at the track and could handle putting the power down effectively, its worthless. Our cars are very strong in 1st gear say from a 20mph roll. People cut 1.6 60ft's NA on SLCIKS you spraying in 1st gear on street tires imo is dumb. Is it bad for your motor? Not as long as you dont slam fuel cut spraying it wont be....
Thank you for agreeing.. Thats why i asked him what shot it was. If its a 35 shot ya understandable. Anything 50 or higher and you should easily break the tires loose. If you dont than i would honestly check the lines to make sure everything is run right. Because your not getting the power you should be getting.
The following users liked this post:
Jamie Barlow (09-05-2019)
Old 10-12-2005 | 11:57 AM
mrtomcat

you should invest in a maximizer that way you can ramp up your shot and control how much of a shot you want to run in first, second and so forth, it'll allow you to get a nearly perfect drag setup
Old 10-12-2005 | 01:40 PM
Tony@Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

You can use nitrous in first gear, the only reasons why it's not recomended is because (in drag racing) you can lose traction easily, and you will run up your RPMs quickly, which means that you will have to shift super fast or deatcivate the nitrous prior to shifting. Also, it's fairly easy to speed shift into second and miss the gear, which means the Revs will shoot up. So it's not really that nitrous will damage the motor in 1st gear, its just that the chances of driver error is increased while doing so, which in turn can be damaging...

I used to use Nitrous on my old honda accord, and it ran like a champ, and i used to hit the nitrous full throttle from the start. the motor took it in stride, never had an issue, and it was a 100 shot dry setup. If you know what to do and how to set up the car, you'll be fine....
Old 10-12-2005 | 01:59 PM
KwanZito

Originally Posted by mrtomcat
you should invest in a maximizer that way you can ramp up your shot and control how much of a shot you want to run in first, second and so forth, it'll allow you to get a nearly perfect drag setup
I agree with this, some type of progressive controller is a very good idea.

But as for the motor taking it, i don't believe it's a problem at all. Used to spray the honda in 1st at the track with no problem. As soon as the tires hooked up I was on the juicy juice.....for....all.....15......seconds.....of....it......a h...need to refill.
Old 10-12-2005 | 02:54 PM
Gators2001

Im spraying in 1st gear. But thats w/ the NX Maximizer controling my shot according to the gear im in.
Old 10-13-2005 | 04:46 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

You guys are talking about spraying your Honda's in 1st gear-did they make 200ft/lbs of TQ @ the wheels before 2000 rpm's like your Z? Just because you could do it in the Honda doesnt mean he should in his Z. Like I said before it wont damage the motor if he shifts fast enough, but if he is running a 75 shot or larger, which is what most people run in Z's and he's spraying in 1st and barely breaking loose, there is a problem with his install....I still say its unecessary in the Z-1st goes by so quick anyways
Old 10-13-2005 | 05:14 AM
1FlyZ

Faster than u were not trying to flame you or anyone else in this thread. I know me personally IF you do spray and 1st and IF you do barely break the tires open than seriously man look over the install. For how much power our Z's put out you should easily spin the tires in 1st with spray.

Alberto hit the nail on the head when he said these arent hondas. I have nothing against honda i think there good quality cars. But you cant compare spraying with a honda and then spraying with a Z. 2 totally diff. scenerios.

All in all do what you want. IF you CAN control it, and IF you DONT let the tires loose then go ahead man. more power to you if you can control it. But honestly get it checked out if you can barely spin the tires is 1st. As to my question above.. Faster than u, What shot are you using? Just curious?
Old 10-13-2005 | 07:33 AM
KwanZito

Originally Posted by 1FlyZ
Alberto hit the nail on the head when he said these arent hondas. I have nothing against honda i think there good quality cars. But you cant compare spraying with a honda and then spraying with a Z. 2 totally diff. scenerios.
I dissagree. Does it make a difference that the Z makes more power than a Honda? NO. He's not worried about breaking the wheels loose, he already said he sprays 1st and has no problem keeping 'em planted...so that's not the issue.

Other than that, the mechanics behind it are very similar. He asked if it would be harmful to the motor to spray in 1st gear....it's not. It's not in a Honda, and it's not in a Z.
Old 10-13-2005 | 07:53 AM
Jime
Banned

Actually spraying in 1st gear is easier on the engine than higher gears, much less stress and the engine revs much quicker.

I have always sprayed in 1st gear with my Maxima, but of course it has slicks for traction and an auto is much better to spray in 1st gear than a manual. Actually an auto is da bomb for nitrous much more so than a manual because you can spray right from an idle to the end of the 1/4 mile through the gears without letting off.

I know everyone will say its hard on the trans etc etc. I have over 350 passes on my 2k2 Max at the track and the transmission is still holding strong. Yes less than half were with nitrous but thats still at lot of wear and tear.
Old 10-13-2005 | 08:59 AM
1FlyZ

Originally Posted by KwanZito
I dissagree. Does it make a difference that the Z makes more power than a Honda? NO. He's not worried about breaking the wheels loose, he already said he sprays 1st and has no problem keeping 'em planted...so that's not the issue.

Other than that, the mechanics behind it are very similar. He asked if it would be harmful to the motor to spray in 1st gear....it's not. It's not in a Honda, and it's not in a Z.
Actually yes it does matter what car its in. HAHA If you spray a 75 shot in a geo prizm your telling me its not different then spraying a 75 shot in a Z? Its logic. The higher tq and hp you have and if you spray your going to breakt he tires loose. With street tires. And with him not breaking the tires loose thats my whole point. Get it checked out. Thats not right if hes using 50 Shot or above. You show me where i said it was bad for your engine to spray in first? Let me know when you do. I just said if you can control it more power to you.
Old 10-13-2005 | 06:32 PM
faster than u

holy crap,i forgot to say first gear roll , not from a dig , of course i would beak loose, i spray from a first gear roll 100shot and it spinns a little bit but it doesnt break loose but it is controlable
Old 10-13-2005 | 06:42 PM
faster than u

i mean i did spary at the track from a dig and ran a 12.8 @ 115 with greddy exhaust and jwt popcharger and drag radials(G-force).
Old 10-13-2005 | 07:16 PM
Gators2001

i mean i did spary at the track from a dig and ran a 12.8 @ 115 with greddy exhaust and jwt popcharger and drag radials(G-force).
Nice. Which track??? 100 shot?
Old 10-14-2005 | 04:33 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Whats your 60ft? 1/8 e.t. and trap speed? Post a timeslip. Launching on DR's Id expect a good 60ft, and given your trap speed you "should" have been much lower than a 12.8, unless you shift with your left arm.
Old 10-14-2005 | 07:56 AM
TruBluZ

Originally Posted by Alberto
unless you shift with your left arm.
Man, you are wrong for saying that!

When I first installed my nitrous, I couldn't control the wheel spin with a 100 shot unless I was going at least 40 mph...or 3rd gear on street tires. If you are barely spinning in 1st with a 100 shot, something is wrong! With drag radials at the track, I spun the tires when shifting to 2nd AND 3rd.

Quick Reply: can i spray 1st gear