Nitrous Oxide Too soon, jr.

ZEX TPS Trigger

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:05 AM
FiveSeven SS190

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZEX TPS Trigger

I did a search and did not find this.

On a 2004 G35 I have tested the TPS output between +4.38 Volts (off Throttle) and +0.98 Volts at Wide Open Throttle.

According to our Nissan Tech Manuals for testing TPS, this is the correct range.

However, speaking to a tech at Zex's 888-817-1008 hotline today, he that their unit "WON'T" trigger the NOS Management Unit (NMU).

He says that the unit is looking for a TPS that goes from 0 to 5+ Volts (increasing voltage) and our cars are "DECREASING" in voltage as shown above.

Has anyone got the ZEX NMU to activate with an ascending voltage?

Are you using a different wire than what the NISSAN technical manual says to use?

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 05-08-2008, 03:45 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

There IS a way to do this. I forgot exactly how, but my friend put ZEX on his M35 and faced the same problem. He got it to work, but I forgot how. Read the manual, I think it tells you how.

If not, then I'll see if he still remembers.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:21 AM
frankie945

I tapped into the solid green wire on the TB had no problems when I had mine.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:00 AM
garym

Yup,
Green wire (terminal #4 I believe) on the TPS pigtail.

The only issue is getting it to read the full throttle position.
The ZEX instructions say to turn the key to the ON position and hold the throttle down to set it to full throttle position.
This will not work with our system.

There are 2 ways to do it that will work.
First you can remove the air intake tube and with the key in the ON position, manually open the butterfly all the way for a few seconds.

Or if you don't want to take the intake tube off like I didn't, you can start the car, and in neutral, hammer the throttle till you hit the red line.
Worked for me.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:02 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Originally Posted by garym
Yup,
Green wire (terminal #4 I believe) on the TPS pigtail.

The only issue is getting it to read the full throttle position.
The ZEX instructions say to turn the key to the ON position and hold the throttle down to set it to full throttle position.
This will not work with our system.

There are 2 ways to do it that will work.
First you can remove the air intake tube and with the key in the ON position, manually open the butterfly all the way for a few seconds.

Or if you don't want to take the intake tube off like I didn't, you can start the car, and in neutral, hammer the throttle till you hit the red line.
Worked for me.
+1 That's what I do. But, I make sure the RPM window is much higher than the redline (ex. on: 7k, off: 8k) just in case.

What's your voltage reading (if it shows)? Mine, when I first got it showed 5.0V, then went down to a 4.8, and now I think the full throttle voltage is like 4.3. I wonder why that is?
Old 05-12-2008, 04:56 PM
FiveSeven SS190

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
+1 That's what I do. But, I make sure the RPM window is much higher than the redline (ex. on: 7k, off: 8k) just in case.

What's your voltage reading (if it shows)? Mine, when I first got it showed 5.0V, then went down to a 4.8, and now I think the full throttle voltage is like 4.3. I wonder why that is?
Well, as I stated above, my voltage goes down at WOT and Zex says that won't work. Its a G35 so the color wiring is different, but the TPS should be the same.

I thought I tested all the wires and this was the only wire that "moved" in voltage when the throttle was pressed.

Basically, it goes from +4.38 Volts to +0.98 Volts at WOT.

So you guys HAVE gotten the Zex system to activate off of our TPS on one of the wires...??? I will double check again if you think it will. The wire I am using is per the NISSAN technical manual and in the manual it says testing the TPS will give a voltage of "less than 5 volts and greater than 0 volts (at WOT) is a working TPS"

Zex tech says voltage needs to go "UP" to work, not down at WOT.

Anyone else has specific experience with this?
Old 05-12-2008, 08:19 PM
baspence

they just told you what wire to look for....
Old 05-12-2008, 09:17 PM
FiveSeven SS190

Originally Posted by baspence
they just told you what wire to look for....
I'll look again, but if memory serves me right, this was the only wire that moved voltage wise when the throttle was stepped on... and that was the wire that the nissan manual says is it. The rest of the wires were constant voltage. So I am just a little lost if there is a wire that moves upwards in voltage instead of downwards and if someone has "actually" used it personally and got it to work.

I'll try and check again this weekend if time permits.

Thanks for any input.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:21 PM
FiveSeven SS190

Re-reading your post it seems we have the correct wire, just that our cars don't go upwards in voltage when we hit the throttle (which ZEX needs to trigger) and it only goes downward in voltage (i.e. 4.38 volts to 0.98 volts in my car)... and hence we cannot program the unit to reliably trigger it.

Zex says if we don't have a TPS wire that moves upwards, then we need to trigger it via a manual button.

Can anyone confirm whether we DO or DO NOT have a TPS wire that moves upward in voltage when the throttle is pressed????
Old 05-12-2008, 09:30 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Yes, we do have a TPS wire that shows an increase in voltage when increasing throttle.

I'll go find which wires to tap next time I go to my car. Right now, it's at a 10 minute walking distance. I'll let you know which ones later.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:53 AM
garym

I used the digital service manual (you can download from this site).
It showed the TPS pigtail and which wire was the TPS signal wire.
It shows a picture of the pigtail and each connection has a number.
Mine was the #4 terminal (green wire - TPS1).
I didn't even measure voltage. I just tapped the wire and it worked.

This is what the manual stated as voltage for that wire that worked for me:
(Throttle position sensor 1)
Fully released More than 0.36V
Fully depressed Less than 4.75V

This runs my ZEX control unit just fine.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:55 AM
garym

PS -
I just noticed that my manual says to correctly read voltage the key is in the ON position, the motor is off, and the transmission is in Drive, or 1st for MT.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:57 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Pic 1:
That's the wiring for the coilpack for cylinder one (passenger side, closest to front bumper). Find the red striped yellow wire and tap into that for your RPM signal.

Pic 2:
That's the wiring for your throttle body. Find the green wire and tap into that for your TPS signal (voltage).
Attached Thumbnails ZEX TPS Trigger-dsc01555.jpg   ZEX TPS Trigger-dsc01557.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Z-olaf (04-12-2017)
Old 05-14-2008, 12:18 AM
baspence

Pic 1:
That's the wiring for the coilpack for cylinder one (passenger side, closest to front bumper). Find the red striped yellow wire and tap into that for your RPM signal.

Pic 2:
That's the wiring for your throttle body. Find the green wire and tap into that for your TPS signal (voltage).
thank you very much... I think I'm about to spray my z.... I'm gonna tune it and I'm sure they'd found the right wire but this help a lot... I'm gonna shoot for this wire and hope it's the same....
Old 05-14-2008, 12:54 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

baspence, you should probably ignore my above post as you have the 07 350Z. Since your engine is the VQ35HR, it's greatly different from the previous engines (VQ35DE).

Look around the nitrous sub-forum and see how others installed their nitrous kits on their 07+ (HR) Zs. There should be quite a few of them. If you can't find the info in the threads themselves, feel free to PM them or ask the shop they got it installed by.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:08 AM
FiveSeven SS190

I used the digital service manual (you can download from this site).
It showed the TPS pigtail and which wire was the TPS signal wire.
It shows a picture of the pigtail and each connection has a number.
Mine was the #4 terminal (green wire - TPS1).
I didn't even measure voltage. I just tapped the wire and it worked.

This is what the manual stated as voltage for that wire that worked for me:
(Throttle position sensor 1)
Fully released More than 0.36V
Fully depressed Less than 4.75V

This runs my ZEX control unit just fine.
Garym,

Thanks a bundle... Looks like the information all trickled in at the same time. I just got a PDF file last night emailed from a Nissan pal that broke it all down. My wiring color is different than the 350s, but all should be the same so I'll be back in looking for the "upward" voltage wire. Hopefully its green too.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:09 AM
FiveSeven SS190

Pic 1:

Pic 1:
350! Thank you too... as you know, pictures are worth a thousand words!
Old 05-14-2008, 08:42 AM
garym

Pic 1:

Pic 1:
Great pics.
Exact same spots I wired mine.
I used a wire tap with a female spade connection.
It nice cause all I had to do was squeeze it shut on the wires, then put a spade on the end of the ZEX unit and window switch wires and slide them into the splicer.
Pretty nice so you don't have to cut the wires on the car, and they can be removed quickly if needed.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:51 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Originally Posted by FiveSeven SS190
350! Thank you too... as you know, pictures are worth a thousand words!
No problem. I hope it helps. Let me know if you got more questions, I'll try to take pics of my install and show you.
Great pics.
Exact same spots I wired mine.
I used a wire tap with a female spade connection.
It nice cause all I had to do was squeeze it shut on the wires, then put a spade on the end of the ZEX unit and window switch wires and slide them into the splicer.
Pretty nice so you don't have to cut the wires on the car, and they can be removed quickly if needed.
Thanks. +1 on not cutting wires. You don't want to cut anything on the car, imo. No need for that when you can just tap into the wire.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:24 PM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Is there any other place besides in the engine bay to tap the two wires needed for the window switch? I looked in the service manual, but I suck.

Quick Reply: ZEX TPS Trigger