Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 11:28 AM
KPierson
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frankie945
Here you go...
[IMG][/IMG]
I definately would have soldered that... you are asking for trouble.

The TPS wire runs right to the ECU (pin 50). The ECU is inside the car under the passenger side dash. It's always better to splice wires INSIDE the car when possible. Whenever splicing under the hood solder is the only way to go (unless you can find some crimps that have the weatherproof gel in them).
Old 08-07-2008, 11:58 AM
frankie945

Originally Posted by KPierson
I definately would have soldered that... you are asking for trouble.

The TPS wire runs right to the ECU (pin 50). The ECU is inside the car under the passenger side dash. It's always better to splice wires INSIDE the car when possible. Whenever splicing under the hood solder is the only way to go (unless you can find some crimps that have the weatherproof gel in them).
Had it like that for about 6 months no problems as long as you use a small connectors thats what they make them for. I don't have nos anymore I left the clip there just incase I decide to use it again.

Last edited by frankie945; 08-07-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:34 PM
KPierson
Banned

Originally Posted by frankie945
Had it like that for about 6 months no problems as long as you use a small connectors thats what they make them for. I don't have nos anymore I left the clip there just incase I decide to use it again.
I've yet to see one of those last an extended period under a hood. They displace the insulation on the wire. Displacing the insulation exposes copper. Copper doesn't do well when exposed to the elements. Slowly, over time, the copper will start to corrode. Eventually it will break right at the connector.

It wouldn't be that big of a deal, but since it is so close to the WATERPROOF OEM connector you won't have enough good wire left to work with. You'll then have to replace the entire plug, which probably won't be cheap. It's not uncommon to see 3-4" of corroded wire on either side of one of those connectors when people use them under the hood. There is a reason why you won't find one single spot of exposed copper wiring in the engine compartment.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:29 PM
genegoesfast

does anyone know how you remove the cover over the ecu harness? after you unclamp it from the ecu there is still a cover over the wiring that's entering the harness. I want to tap the tps at that location and I can't access the wires.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:47 PM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

http://www.technosquareinc.com/350ZECUremoval.htm
http://www.alteredatmosphere.com/man..._ECU_Flash.pdf

I tapped it in the engine bay, i'll probably get some sort of insulation for it, or just tape it up really well to give it a little more protection from corrosion then.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:53 PM
genegoesfast

thanks but not quite the info I need. I already have the harness disconnected from the computer. There is a cover that covers the wires entering the harness. I need to remove that to expose the wires so I can tap.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:29 PM
KPierson
Banned

You shouldn't need to remove the cover - just tap the wire a little further down. The wires should have a vinyl type protective covering that can be unpeeled. Inside you will find all the wires. If you want to verify pin numbers you can do so with an ohm meter by putting one lead directly in the ECU harness and the other lead on the wire you are trying to verify.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:42 PM
genegoesfast

I don't have a meter to test with but I do understand what you are saying. Is it the only wire that is green? I know it's pin 50 and that it's green. I am also the guy who can't see green. I do appreciate what you said about taping the wire inside the car for corrosion reasons. I pulled my TPS wire through the firewall per your recommendation.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:45 PM
surfcity40

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here is where pin 50 is. I'd suggest again that you get someone who isn't color blind to assist you.

Last edited by surfcity40; 08-07-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:50 PM
genegoesfast

I actually have that diagram, you just can't get to the wire anywhere near that harness clip without removing said "cover thing" to which I'm refferring. Thanks for all the help though guys!
Old 08-07-2008, 04:51 PM
KPierson
Banned

There are at least two green wires and then two light green wires. The other green wire is the throttle motor relay power supply and is most likely thicker then the green throttle position sensor. This is an assumption but typically power wires are thicker then signal wires.

The fact that the throttle motor relay power supply wire is pin 3 is another indication that it is a bigger wire, as the first five pins are allotted much more space in the harness.

Lastly, it is very possible that the green throttle position wire will be apart of a twisted pair. I know the APP (accelerator pedal position) wires are twisted, but I've never tapped in to the TPS so I can't confirm. The service manual indicates that the throttle position sensor is shielded - that might help a bit, too.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:56 PM
genegoesfast

cool thanks...I'm suprised I couldn't find much in the service manual that would have helped. The hints on the wire size should help...Thanks!