Notices
North East New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

Nissan Called me

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 10:59 AM
Iezzi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan Called me

For those of you who were at the West Chester, PA (ECZA) meet, you may have met my Z and me. I have been having transmission issues (3rd gear grind) and I wrote a letter to Nissan explaining my problems. Much to my surprise today while I was at work I got a phone call from Keith at Nissan Tech line. Apparently Nissan IS aware of the transmission issues on 03 models and early 04 models. Nissan assured me that there is a documented fix for the tranny (Replace or Rebuild) and that dealerships are or should be aware of the issue. If you are experiencing any grinding with your transmissions take it to your dealer and have them check it out. If they claim to not know what you’re talking about tell them to call the Nissan Techline and ask for Keith...

Techline #: 18006477261
Old 12-04-2003, 04:42 PM
StandAloneZ

does the grinding have to happen every time. My tranny was grinding in 3rd but it hasnt happened in a few months...but 3rd gear is very notchy.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:59 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good lord, do any of you ever travel into other forums? i.e. the Repairing forum?

The grinding varies, depending on what model tranny you have. Mine manifested at the track when I was heel-toeing and downshifting into 3rd, and the tranny refused to go. This only occurred when the tranny was extremely hot. After awhile, during normal driving, the grinding occurred whenever I upshifted. Nissan will not replace your tranny unless the grind is reproducable.

Nissan is currently on their 5th or so version tranny... I have my doubts that it's the last too...
Old 12-04-2003, 06:03 PM
Iezzi

Not all the time, it comes and goes, either way something is messed up with the design of this tranny and it should be replaced under warrenty.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:08 AM
sbosco0015

Question

has this been a common problem on the 6spMT or the 5spAT or both, obviously it's recurring enough where Nissan is aware but has it been well known to 350Z owners?
Old 12-24-2003, 09:33 AM
Tom

Default Re: Nissan Called me

Originally posted by dkent2
For those of you who were at the West Chester, PA (ECZA) meet, you may have met my Z and me. I have been having transmission issues (3rd gear grind) and I wrote a letter to Nissan explaining my problems. Much to my surprise today while I was at work I got a phone call from Keith at Nissan Tech line. Apparently Nissan IS aware of the transmission issues on 03 models and early 04 models. Nissan assured me that there is a documented fix for the tranny (Replace or Rebuild) and that dealerships are or should be aware of the issue. If you are experiencing any grinding with your transmissions take it to your dealer and have them check it out. If they claim to not know what you’re talking about tell them to call the Nissan Techline and ask for Keith...

Techline #: 18006477261
Thanks! I thought it was me. I had experienced 3rd gear grind on a few occassions and tought it was me. I have driven a standard shift since 15 and figure I was too exp. to be making a shifting mistake.

Tom
Conn.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:57 AM
jesseenglish

Originally posted by sbosco0015
has this been a common problem on the 6spMT or the 5spAT or both, obviously it's recurring enough where Nissan is aware but has it been well known to 350Z owners?
This is a very common problem and all dealerships should know about it. It only occurs on the 6MT because it is a synchro problem. Just do a search on third gear grind in any 350Z forum and you'll probably find hundreds maybe thousands of posts about it.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:03 PM
ZPower

No problems so far. How do you know which version tranny you have? My build date is 5/03.
Old 12-25-2003, 05:50 AM
sbosco0015

Originally posted by jesseenglish
This is a very common problem and all dealerships should know about it. It only occurs on the 6MT because it is a synchro problem. Just do a search on third gear grind in any 350Z forum and you'll probably find hundreds maybe thousands of posts about it.
Thanks, I'm ready to buy a Z in Aug-Sept 2004, hopefully the tranny problem will be fixed and I won't have to complain to get the problem fixed!
Old 12-25-2003, 06:25 AM
frankmusic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Those Tranny Blues.

Yes, there has been much written about this unfortunate tranny problem. However, I have not yet experienced the infamous 3rd gear grind from my 6 sp MT. I'm hoping that if I have not noticed any difficulty shifting into 3rd during normal driving or the more robust version - that it will not become the inevitable unwelcome surprise for me down the road, so to speak. This tranny issue IS indeed worth watching by all Z owners and to help others by reporting their persoanl tranny issues. I'm sure that everyone will be very interested in hearing the various Nissan Dealership adventures for the eventual fix or replacement. (Yikes!)

This could get real ugly.

'03 350Z - Silverstone - Touring - 6spd MT
Build Date: 05/03
Side Air Bag Curtains
NISMO Seatbelt Pads
JDM Interior Foot Well Lights
NISMO Oil Filler & Radiator Caps
350Z Grounding Kit - (by z327)
Aluminum Billet Dip Stick - (by z327)
Colgan Side Mirror Bras
Colgan 2 Piece Nose Bra (necessary)*
LED Amber Sidemarkers (by Strictly Z)
Chrome Front Grille w/Amber LED Directionals
LED Amber "Z" Fender Emblems - (by z327)
Courtesy Parts - "Z" Wheel Locks
Courtesy Parts - "Z" Valve Stem Caps
Courtesy Parts - "Z" Center Wheel Caps
Carbon Fiber - "Z" Front & Rear Emblems (by Reen)
350Z Rear License Plate Frame
JDM Altezza Antenna - "Shorty"
Nissan 350Z OEM Aero Package
Front Zee-Bracket License Plate Holder
Bose Stereo with 28060-CE400 Amp!!!***
***(currently disassembled for a proper upgrade)

Old 12-27-2003, 10:46 AM
ZPower

How do you tell which version tranny you have?