Notices
North West Washington, Montana, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming

Preparing to buy.. help me out :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 08:37 PM
Jason

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preparing to buy.. help me out :)

Here is the deal, as soon as I get my MR2 Spyder back from the shop it's getting traded. It's been through 4 engines in 3 years and spent all of summer 2002 in the shop. Time to go.

I'm going to buy one of 4 cars:
Nissan 350Z
Infiniti G35 Coupe
Honda S2000
Subaru WRX STi (gotta wait)

Right now, Z and G are the most likely candidates.

Anyways, my biggest question is, if I go with a Z what dealers have you guys had good experiances with? Are any of them doing under MSRP? I've been talking to Auburn Nissan, but the guy there doesn't really seem to have his stuff together, so I don't care to much about keeping business with him.

I've noticed that ALL the local ones available are Touring models. WTF? I was thinking of either Performance or Track since I want to replace the stereo anyways. Leather would be nice, but I understand you can have it dealer installed for $1,000.

So I guess I'm just looking for dealer recommendations.

Also, feel free to try and talk me out of the other cars

Thanks!
Jason
Old 02-06-2003, 11:36 AM
drivesolo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Do you even need to ask?

Jason,

Dude, I thought that you already had a Z. I was kinda surprised when I read your post. I think for the most part you'll probably get an overwhelming response that you should get a Z from this forum. I wish I could say that I was impartial, but I can't mainly because I believe that the Z is the best car that you can get for the money that you pay.

I ordered my Z on back on September 7th and got it just 3 weeks ago. The whole summer prior to putting down my deposit I spent collecting information on the pros and cons of the following models:

- Honda S2000
- Nissan 350Z
- Audi TT
- Acura RSX
- Porsche Boxster

I can send you the URL to some of the info I gathered, it's a bit dated because I ended my research as of August, but it still might be of some use to you. I can also tell you how my Z buying experience went if it would help.

If you're torn between the Z or the G I think that if you find the back seat necessary in your life for what ever reason (kids, work, convenience, primary vehicle, etc..) that will dictate the type of vehicle that you should get. You might already know the answer right now.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:43 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since your in Washington, can't be much help on dealers.

Just for the heck of it, I have looked up inventory of local dealers a couple of times. Clearly, there are far more Touring models on lots than any other model. Don't know if Nissan produced significantly more Tourning versions than others or buyers are just going for other models & letting the Tour sit on lots.

Bet we start seeing more buys below MSRP on the Touring model.
Old 02-07-2003, 03:58 PM
kly

wow 4 engines in 3 years. I have not heard of this. what have been your problems? until now I have only heard great things about these cars except the they have no power.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:14 PM
Jason

Originally posted by kly
wow 4 engines in 3 years. I have not heard of this. what have been your problems? until now I have only heard great things about these cars except the they have no power.
Cyl ring/sleeve failure and associated cat failure is very common in MR2 Spyders. The made changes to the 2003 model to fix these problems.

"They have no power" is a funny comment I just test drove a 350Z, and when I punched it from a stand still, I didn't feel that it was considerably faster than my MR2. Being only 2200 lbs goes a long way Sadly, the Z also wasn't as tight and well connected as my MR2 either.

Anyways, the test drive I just took was GLORIOUS. I drove a beautiful black Touring 6-speed with orange leather interior. I can't get it out of my head. There is no question that I love the Z. As soon as I get my freakin' MR2 back....

I still want to test drive the G35 and S2000 though.
Old 02-07-2003, 11:44 PM
Jason

Default Colors...

I can't decide between:

Super Black w/ Burnt Orange
or
LeMans Sunset w/ Charcoal

Old 02-08-2003, 10:37 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Well, those are okay choices but for the best ya gotta go with Brickyard & Frost Int.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:53 PM
rep15

Default Re: Colors...

Originally posted by Jason
I can't decide between:

Super Black w/ Burnt Orange
or
LeMans Sunset w/ Charcoal

Wow, two completely different color combos even though the two colors are the same - black and orange. I have the LeMans with cloth black (I assume you mean leather though) but black with orange is also a stunning match. That is a personal choice that only you can figure out. You won't go wrong with either. Brickyard with frost is nice but certrainly does not have the visual impact of your choices or say Daytona with frost. Those three are the most stunning in my not so humble opinion.

One comment. The visual impact of LeMans sunset is unbelievble. The comments on the color are gratifying. I was worried when I got the car that the color makes too much of a statement. I was right about it making a statement but it is fun to have a car that literally turns heads. LeMans sunset also "glows" golden in the gray days of Seattle winter.
Old 02-08-2003, 07:56 PM
Jason

Here is my concern about Le Mans, I've never actually seen it in person. In some pictures it looks really good, and in others it looks really bad. It's hard to say which is doing the color justice.

Black was certainly sweet, but I know how high maintenance black is.

Perhaps we need a local get together so I can compare colors

Jason
Old 02-09-2003, 09:30 AM
rep15

At least on my computer this is an accurate representation of the color in bright sun at our Marymoor Park meeting. As the direct light diminishes the color turns more golden:

Jason, you can come to see my LeMans anytime you wish. I live in Woodinville and my office is in downtown Redmond - the car is in the Redmond Medical Center Parking lot Tue, Wed, Thur. You can't miss it. There is a LeMans at the Microsoft campus in Issaquah belonging to 3rdpower.

As for the color, brickyard and LeMans are the two colors that seem to photograph irratically. That is because the quality of light alters the colors. Late afternoon looks completely different from direct sun or cloudy skies. Both of these colors need to be seen to be evaluated. You can not get an understanding from digital images. I also pre-ordered a brickyard. I had not seen either color in person, of course, and was thrilled with LeMans and disappointed in brickyard. I am personally glad I had the choice so I understand your wanting to see the color in person. It is not the color that is the issue it is your personal gut feeling to the color.

You need to see LeMans but it is not necessary to see black. You have seen a black car thousands of times. That is another issue. (I know, blah, blah, blah.) Do you desire a unique or established, conforming color? Your decision.

Last edited by rep15; 02-09-2003 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:55 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

My post above was more in fun than trying to convince.

Actually, I think the Sunset Lemans is really slick. Very unique color. My taste run to dark colors; but if going light I'd choice Sunset.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:08 AM
rep15

Let me expand on my brickyard comment. Of the two colors I ordered, the brickyard was not the deep red metalic I hoped. I knew it was on the burgundy side but thought it would be more reflective of the red in meduim light. As the saying goes, "I wouldn't kick either one out of bed". All the colors are nice. The fun is finding the one that strikes a chord with your personality. I was worried that I would feel embarassed driving such an unproven, bold color. It turned out to not be the case. Brickyard is still my second choice of the eight(?) colors. These are two unique colors that enhance the exoctic nature of the 350Z.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:27 AM
SeattleInfo

After meeting with you at the Gasworks meeting, and giving you a ride in my Enthusiast, I hope your opinion of the Z isn't blurred by my poor driving skills. Sorry to hear about your MR2.

With respect to dealers, I offer this advice. Nissan of Fife has shown me why they're acknowledged as one of the top 20% of all Nissan dealers in the country. I've since gone to multiple dealerships including the now-defunct Town & Country Nissan and Downtown Seattle Nissan. I really didn't feel like I was treated right at those dealerships.

Auburn Nissan seemed difficult to deal with, and Burien Nissan is their sister dealership, so one should act like the other. The replacement for Town & Country and Northwest Nissan is Campbell/Nelson in Edmonds. I know from experience with their VW dealership that they're top-notch. I'll be taking my car there for minor services and other issues, to see if their Nissan side is as good as their VW side.

The Super Black seems to fit your style more. Also, there haven't been many SB's out here in the area, so yours would be more rare in the local area. I see more CS Z's (including mine) than any other color. Plus, the Super Black + Burnt Orange seats is a nice combo.

Order one. It seems to be taking about 45-60 days to get one to your specs. Work with a dealer you want to work with, and get exactly what you want. There's no need to compromise.

Good luck!
Old 02-09-2003, 12:59 PM
Jason

The black/orange at Burien was available (as far as I know), but I won't be ready to buy for at least 2 weeks. The dealership manager claimed he could get any trim/color cobination I wanted within 25 days.
Old 02-09-2003, 08:07 PM
marcZZZ
not a regular pain in the ass

Default Hi Jason

Met you at gasworks, drooled over your NSX, cried over the smucked wheel. I will second seattle info's vote for nissan of fife, got my car there..they kept me informed. Just had service, also good just didn't like the drive or the rocks I took on the way down and back...nasty road on I-5 by federal way too. When I ordered 01-11-02 they were the only ones selling for MSRP. Talk to steve he is fleet sales manager very nice knowledgable guy. Good luck, hope to see you at another meet when you get your car. Marcy Oh yeah Da gimp just picked up his DB at nissan/fife too
Old 02-09-2003, 10:34 PM
Jason

Yeah, I've heard that rocks can be a problem with the Z. I'm pretty sure I'll get Stongard as soon as I pick mine up.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll keep you updated on my car shopping status

Jason
Old 02-15-2003, 01:54 AM
Jason

I'm finding myself absolutely infuriated with Nissans selections of option packages.

At lowest I'll get a Performance, but I REALLY want leather and I dig the Brembos and Volks but aren't set on them. Here is the thing..

Performance + $2750 = Touring
Performance + $3650 = Track

Since the BOSE stereo sucks and is going to be yanked, is leather worth $2750? No, not really.

So here, the impulsive side says "get a Touring!" and the common sense side says "get a Performance!"

Then you look at the feature list difference between the Performance and the Enthusiast. WTF, $2,180 for VDC and *slighly* larger wheels. That seems like a stretch and half.

What idiot put these packages together? You should be able to add leather to *any* package. Personally, I dig the S2000 and MR2 Spyder packages. Oh wait, they don't have packages, they have one price and you get the full meal deal.

Still love the car, just hate the options and the Bose

Oh well, end of rant
Old 02-15-2003, 04:13 AM
Morris

Default prepaing to buy...help me out

Jason,

I think the 350z is a great chocie. I just closed my deal yesterday. I looked at every add on the internet I could find, talked to at least 10 dealers, and exchanged emails with many more. I bought at Bommarito Nissan. There were other good ones, but these guys said upfront, here is how we sell 350z's, and they did what they said. My sales person is Todd (sorry, but I forgot his last name). The dealership # is 314-731-2228.

The Nissan approved leather kit is $749, and they do it at the dealship versus sending it out. Other quotes on the leather were $1000 to $1,400. Also, some dealers will try to sell you leather kits other then the "Nissan" approved kit (there is only one)

At Bommarito, you save more and more off MSRP as you move up the trim levels.

I am happy to answer any questions if you want to email me at mlmorgan5@adelphia.net.
Old 02-15-2003, 12:27 PM
Jason

A few states away though eh?
Old 02-15-2003, 02:07 PM
Morris

Yes, it is a few states away. But, I saved $2 grand and the car will be here Tuesday versus waiting another month or two.

Quick Reply: Preparing to buy.. help me out :)