Notices
North West Washington, Montana, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming

SIR [PR] Thursday, July 26th HPDE track day

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007 | 10:36 AM
first350

Originally Posted by icedoutis
i'm thinking about going, but i have absolutely 0 experience in racing other than on the streets, and 1/4 mile. My GM from my dealership wants to bring out his spec miata, and have some fun. Do i need to be caged or anything? I will have my 19's on at that time, sways, springs, endlinks, and a couple power mods. Really want to see what this car can do before i put the twins on it next month.
not sure if they'd be okay w/ you coming if you have no experience...but there's no harm in asking. You don't need a roll cage, just a helmet.
Old 07-03-2007 | 11:01 AM
icedoutis
Banned

helmet i can do! will try to talk the kathleen about it, might have to tell a little white lie will need a basic run down course before the race though.
Old 07-03-2007 | 11:17 AM
first350

helmet i can do! will try to talk the kathleen about it, might have to tell a little white lie will need a basic run down course before the race though.
could be a small difference in wording, but it's not a 'race'...it's an open lapping day. ppl can get into trouble really quickly if they think they're 'racing' and trying to beat someone.

*Try to make it out to an AutoX sometime soon...it will help w/ learning car control in general, and specificaly how your car handles (usualy at slower/safer speeds than the track)
Old 07-03-2007 | 11:32 AM
icedoutis
Banned

ok, will give that a try. Thought lapping was racing though? My boss was gonna have me try to follow his lines to show me how to do it. He is pretty darn good. i will beat him on the straights, but he will kill me in corners, so he will take it easy for me. Would be a good learning experience I think. Most of my racing is on the freeway, and sprints from a dig to about 100-120, so it would be good for me. Especially in corners. Is it more or less dangerous than doing like 120 on the freeway with light traffic?
Old 07-03-2007 | 11:40 AM
first350

ok, will give that a try. Thought lapping was racing though? My boss was gonna have me try to follow his lines to show me how to do it. He is pretty darn good. i will beat him on the straights, but he will kill me in corners, so he will take it easy for me. Would be a good learning experience I think. Most of my racing is on the freeway, and sprints from a dig to about 100-120, so it would be good for me. Especially in corners. Is it more or less dangerous than doing like 120 on the freeway with light traffic?

Racing - is trying to go faster than someone else...trying to pass them. If you're not exeprienced in this, you'll probably over do it and crash.

Lapping (HPDE) - going out on a closed course and working on your driving skills and just having fun driving w/out worrying about being pulled over, or ppl dirving 50 MPH in the fast lane. The main thing to remember is that 100% of the guys out there would consider it a good day if they have fun AND are able to drive their car home.

dangers - going fast on the street is fairly dangerous b/c it's not controlled...any kid can run in front of you, or a car can change lanes in front of you. On the track, the dangers are mostly limited to your driving (there is some danger in someon else hitting you).

Going on the track is much much different that going fast in traffic...you get to do the same corners every lap, and work on being a better/smoother driver, trying to learn how to properly control your car.
Old 07-03-2007 | 12:01 PM
icedoutis
Banned

ok, thanks for the info. i appreciate it. might have to think about this a little bit more then :0
Old 07-03-2007 | 01:04 PM
drivesolo

IMO, make sure you know what you're getting into. This is not like running flat out on the freeway. You don't have to worry msuch about passing or getting passed because it's a point-to-pass rule in group C (where you will start). Don't get me wrong, I want more Z/G guys to do track days, it's just important to emphasize that experience on the street will not necessarily translate to skills for a track day.

Take First350 up on his offer to help you out w/ autoX, it's a good way to start and the local clubs that hold track days at PR will take that experience into consideration if you haven't taken the Proformance school.

The most important corner to worry about is corner 1. You enter it at about 130 mph and continue to hold the throttle flat through it while cornering. Then you have to jump on the brakes and heel-toe down to make corner2.

Hope you can make it.

Last edited by drivesolo; 07-03-2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-09-2007 | 11:29 AM
Soopa G

so who all is attending?
Old 07-09-2007 | 11:33 AM
Rahtok

I've never heard back from them after requesting to go. In light of this, I instead signed up for a weekend in Spokane w/proformance racing the 18th and 19th of August.
Old 07-09-2007 | 11:42 AM
Soopa G

Originally Posted by Rahtok
I've never heard back from them after requesting to go. In light of this, I instead signed up for a weekend in Spokane w/proformance racing the 18th and 19th of August.

yeah, their response time isn't very good
Old 07-09-2007 | 11:53 AM
first350

Originally Posted by Soopa G
so who all is attending?

I'm going...but will miss Drivesolo's presence
Old 07-09-2007 | 04:08 PM
drivesolo

Originally Posted by first350
I'm going...but will miss Drivesolo's presence
I'm considering taking the S14 out there, but I doubt it will be worth the while in it's current setup. I'll be calling Kathleen soon to see if I can get someone in my stop or a refund of my event fee. If I could transfer my reserved spot, who wants it? Better it go to a VQ guy than someone else.
Old 07-09-2007 | 04:10 PM
Soopa G

Originally Posted by drivesolo
I'm considering taking the S14 out there, but I doubt it will be worth the while in it's current setup. I'll be calling Kathleen soon to see if I can get someone in my stop or a refund of my event fee. If I could transfer my reserved spot, who wants it? Better it go to a VQ guy than someone else.

I know of someone who may want it if Kathleen doesn't call him back today
Old 07-20-2007 | 07:13 AM
first350

so this is coming up next Thursday...can't wait!

I plan to bring a good portion of my tools, so if anyone needs to borrow them, let me know. (I'm going to change brake pads and wheels the night before)
Old 07-25-2007 | 11:02 AM
first350

just got done reading the alpha club's safety stuff...they say it's required to use either nomex or leather gloves when driving; anyone know if they actually follow this rule? (I've never used racing gloves b/c I'm not used to the fell...and I don't want to go out and buy a set unless I really need to)

thanks...can't wait for tomorrow!
Old 07-25-2007 | 11:47 AM
Soopa G

just got done reading the alpha club's safety stuff...they say it's required to use either nomex or leather gloves when driving; anyone know if they actually follow this rule? (I've never used racing gloves b/c I'm not used to the fell...and I don't want to go out and buy a set unless I really need to)

thanks...can't wait for tomorrow!
I've never done an Alfa day so I'm not sure how **** they are....Speedware days they don't care.............I always wear gloves
Old 07-25-2007 | 12:54 PM
G35Soul

I spoke to Kathleen last week, and she said it is required (for insurance purposes). I'm not too thrilled about the required long sleeves & cotton pants rule too. It'll be hot out at the tracks tomorrow
Old 07-25-2007 | 01:18 PM
Soopa G

Originally Posted by G35Soul
I spoke to Kathleen last week, and she said it is required (for insurance purposes). I'm not too thrilled about the required long sleeves & cotton pants rule too. It'll be hot out at the tracks tomorrow

I'm wearing shorts and if the they say anything I'll change...... it'll be very hot in the car tomorrow....
Old 07-25-2007 | 02:37 PM
first350

I just picked up a set of gloves at speedware...this is going to be way too hot tomorrow; but still better than rain!

What group are you going to be in? I'll be in the novice group...I'm hoping to get all of my video stuff set-up - if I do, we should try to get on track next to each other so I can get some footage of your cars.
Old 07-25-2007 | 02:48 PM
G35Soul

Originally Posted by Soopa G
I'm wearing shorts and if the they say anything I'll change...... it'll be very hot in the car tomorrow....
Ditto

I just picked up a set of gloves at speedware...this is going to be way too hot tomorrow; but still better than rain!

What group are you going to be in? I'll be in the novice group...I'm hoping to get all of my video stuff set-up - if I do, we should try to get on track next to each other so I can get some footage of your cars.
I'll be in the same group. I'll be in my Civic hatch though (G35 is in the shop right now). If I get my camera mount done tonight, I'm down to take footage of your cars.

Quick Reply: SIR [PR] Thursday, July 26th HPDE track day